what;s the best shot you've ever played....so far

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
As per title, what's your most memorable/best shot you've played in your golfing career tus far.

Be it from a technically perfect execution or holing a 4 footer under immense pressure. Describe it to us.

The one that always sticks in my memory is whilst playing for the junior team about 15 years ago at Haggs Castle in Glasgow.

I'd hit a drive slightly right on a long par 4 and had a massive Oak tree 40 yards in front for my approach, with a 3 wood still to go.

It was one of those "stand behind the ball, imagine the ball setting off right and arcing back smoothly in a power draw to land 3 feet from the pin" moments (i get those all the time :eek:)

And i did it exactly as planned. I remember the sweet connection, that feeling that the shot was a cracker, watching it draw beautifully round the tree, landing in the first cut at the green to take the sting out of it and a couple of bounces to come to rest 3 feet away.

Wish there were more like it sadly

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always a tough one.

I have three but I will choose this one:

On a long par 4 I thought I was out of it then I hit a 5 wood from a faiway bunker 185 yards (not really special but...), up hill, into the wind. It faded in to 6 feet from the pin (I then sank the putt for a birdie).

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing in a match over winter and we were 3 down standing on the 15th par 3 around 140ish, it was a howling gale and the other two were on the green I absolutely flushed a 3 iron which finished about 4 feet from the pin. We went on to win on the last. Dont get to many shots like that :(

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Mine was on our par 3 9th hole it was palying 150 or so yards into a 35mph wind. I said to my palying partners I'm going to hit a punch draw and ended up hitting it to 1 inch exactly as I called it. Then the next hole came and I made an 11 after being 2 under gross!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Loads at least one a round (that makes me come back no matter how badly I've played). Monday's? Four person mixed team comp. Ball well below feet, (another roll and it would have be in the river). Only a slight chance of squeeezing the ball past the monster tree in my way to the green. 5 iron, nice and smooth. Arrow straight onto the green. Put a big smile on my face did that!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
A couple of months ago, on our par 4 10th.

I pushed my tee shot right, towards the big lake on the right hand side of the fairway). Thankfully, my ball held up in the wind and ended up short of the water in the rough.

I got down there and it was sitting up nicely, so I could go for the green. Only problem is, where they had cut the pin that day was in the back right corner, meaning if you're on the right side of the hole, you have two bunkers guarding the pin with a landing area that is very, very small.

I had about 180 yards into a slight breeze and hit a 4 iron about the best I ever had. Tracked the flag all the way *just* cleared the bunkers, landed softly and stopped on the next bounce about 6ft from the hole.

Obviously, I missed the birdie putt

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A 302yard drive that carried straight into the hole.

couple of other close contenders but due to the extreme rareness of this one it has to be top of the list.

A slam dunk over 300 yards! Never heard of that done before.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It's difficult to single out one shot. I've had a couple of holes in one, but I wouldn't rank them as my "best" - they were well struck irons which went straight - something I would expect several times a round - and had a bit of added luck.

If I really had to pick one it would be a chip from the back of the green at the 2nd hole at Victoria (Algarve) to a front pin. The greens were running at about 11 or 12, it was downhill all the way with a big borrow and I knocked it to about three inches.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the long Par 3 on a windy day, a stiff breeze that was in your face pulling towards the sea I ripped my 2 iron to the middle of the green but still had a 20ft putt with massive right to left up and down hill, the best putt that I ever did. I got a birdie and nearly every time since I've dinged (blanked, no scored) it!! :D

titleistkid

Club Champion
Visit site
6 down after 19 in my fifth club championship final (4 defeats) pulled it back to 1 down after 15 then 3 putted the 16th to go back to dormie 2. coming up 18 1 down I hit a rescue about 240 (wind assisted) to 6 feet resulting in an eagle 3 to take the match to sudden death where I won on the 38th at the 5th time of asking. Managed to successfully defend the title the following year and have lost all ability ever since. Still nice to look back on

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
couple of other close contenders but due to the extreme rareness of this one it has to be top of the list.

was it a 1 for 5 points (in a stableford) by any chance?

someone did this at Moseley GC on the first. Historic! (as is yours!)

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Playing our par 3 7th of 130 yards. Hooked it below the side of the green and down a hill beside the temp green, so about 15 yards elevated and 30 yards to the pin 3 yards on. Opened the club face to play a flop shot and prayed to god!! Beautiful contact and flight, ended 2 foot from the pin!! Missed the putt :(

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing a comp at the Belfry I was unsighted in a shot to the green. I decided that if I took a bigger wood and sliced the shot it was possible to run into the green from the side.
A lot of practise swinging, feet shuffling, ball positioning and off the ball goes - just as I had hoped and ended up on the green.
Result!!
As I swaggered onto the green I was met with ...'You were lucky with that miss hit'
If I had stated that it was meant I feel sure I would not have been believed so I just said 'Yes, wasn't I'!

But my wee tail was still wagging!!

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

1 for 5 indeed! :D Have you heard about it before?? :D

Just checked Moseley GC, 294 off the Whites!! Phew!!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

1 for 5 indeed! :D Have you heard about it before?? :D

Just checked Moseley GC, 294 off the Whites!! Phew!!

You win by 8 yards. Class... :)

BushFinder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ether my only ever hole in one..
Or any time i reach a par 5 in two, hitting a shot 220 plus to a green (a very rare occurrence) always makes me feel like a proper golfer!

BushFinder

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Too many over the years to single just one. I did enjoy one at the 14th at Wimbledon Common in a match. I'd hit my drive right and was in the rough with a large tree blocking the entrance to the green right and a tall pine left so it had to be hit with a controlled fade through the gap.

I was one down and just to ramp it up a bit a family were walking past. The kid asked his dad what was going on. Dad explained and the kid said I had no chance. Red rag to a cocky 18 year old so I told him what I was going to do. Sure enough I hit it great on the large pine left and it curled in the air landed short of the green and ran to with 4 feet of the hole. The kid was gobsmacked and I tried to look nonchalant like I played like that all the time. Made the putt and won the next three holes too to close the game out

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Playing the 9th at Forest of Arden I'd driven well and had 200 yards uphill to the green with a left to right breeze.
Back then there were no such beasts as hybrids - not really anyway - so I settled with my 3 iron and creamed the most pure shot I've ever hit. It stayed bullet straight all the way to finish 10 feet from the hole. Lipped out the birdie putt but just that 1 shot was spine-tingling.

Achilles

Challenge Tour Pro
www.cirencestergolfclub.co.uk
Hmmm.....I have a few but the one that springs to mind is a shot I called before playing. 450 par 4, drive leaked right into the rough leaving me about 200 to go with trees blocking my view of the green. Friend who I was playing with asked if I was going to lay up as normal but for some reason I decided to go for it. Said I would fade it around the trees with my hybrid. Bish, bash, bosh...and my ball did exactly what I wanted. Perfect fade which landed front edge and stopped in the middle of the green. Lipped out the birdie putt but sank the return for my first par on that hole for 4 juicy points. Loved it! :cool: