What percentage of your game is governed by what's between you ears?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
100% of my game is governed by my thinking.

That aside - I reckon that my ball-striking, course management and consistency has improved by at least 50% since I really focussed on playing one shot at a time - working out what I want to do and the risks, and then what shot to play. Then when preping the shot and over the I ball focus on playing the shot and not thinking at all about what might happen if it does not go to plan. After hitting the ball I then immediately put out of my mind (as best I can) the success or failure of the shot.
Good attitude that, and maybe something I could try myself. Sometimes I will try and do too much with a shot because the previous one didn't work out, and that isn't beneficial.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
My game is on a knife's edge if things start well and continue the brain stays with it, but soon as the mist appears anxiety and technique go out the window and the world falls apart.

100% mind in my view technique is great in practice and social golf but comps, medals it means so much it becomes an issue.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the best lessons I ever had -

I only hit about 10-15 balls in the first few minutes then next 20 was spent by the pro discussing my mental approach to the game.

I find when I am thinking of how to hit the ball rather than where to hit it is when my game is at it's worst.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
For me it feels like at least 80 %. It's really hard to nail down, though, because it involves so many different facets of mental game. It's the whole psychological side of pressure/expectation/fear, but also the ability to focus and concentrate, to let the subconscious take over at the right moment, the planning and strategy before the shot, bouncebackability after a bad shot and probably a lot more that I am not even thinking of at the moment. Most of us will have hit good, near perfect shots from time to time, so the physical ability is clearly there. It is being able to activate that physical potential when it is needed that is the hard part.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Good attitude that, and maybe something I could try myself. Sometimes I will try and do too much with a shot because the previous one didn't work out, and that isn't beneficial.

Hit a baddie? Just really focus on something ahead of you as you walk to your ball - a tree, bunker, patch of grass - and really examine it. Plus I often use a water bottle and fruit gums. As I walk to the ball I think about myself drinking the water as I drink it - I think about taking some fruit gums out the pack and eating them and then focus on the flavour - that sort of mindfullness stuff. Works for me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One of the best lessons I ever had -

I only hit about 10-15 balls in the first few minutes then next 20 was spent by the pro discussing my mental approach to the game.

I find when I am thinking of how to hit the ball rather than where to hit it is when my game is at it's worst.

At the moment if I am playing a shot I find difficult I am using a 'don't chase the ball' thought as I stand over it. This is helping me stay focussed on the matter in hand - hitting the ball. I do this as I found with some shots I was 'in my head' following my ball onto the green before I hit it - almost trying to 'carry and place' the shot on the green myself, rather than letting my golf club and swing do that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to have a bad habit of 'writing the winners speech' on the first hole and had horrible first 6 holes and tremendous last 12. I now say to myself 'no expectations' regularly during the round. These days it is more getting past the phsychological barrier of a good round coming down the last couple of holes. On these I have tried to stop thinking 'great rounds' and stopped going all out for a couple of birdies to finish with.