What percentage of your game is governed by what's between you ears?

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
When playing with our regular PPs, in club matches or whatever, we often hear that, "So much of this game is in the head!"

I don't doubt that either but just how much would you say this applies to you? What percentage of your game would you say, on the one hand, relies on - natural ability, acquired skill & experience versus your confidence level & mental approach?

I am coming out of a 2-year slump and until recently my confidence level on the course was subterranean. More often than not on an important shot I had no confidence at all and frequently the result was an epic fail. But after I had a bunker lesson in December (thanks again to GM!!) when something was pointed out to me, that I have worked on since, I have started to find my mojo again. Three comps this season and it's been missed buffer by 1, buffer and last Saturday .9 cut! I played yesterday and 'knew' that I was going to play well and I did. Simply I have started to believe in myself again. :mmm:

I don't know if there's any published research data on this in relation to golf, but for me my answer to the question has to be as high as 50/50 split.

What about you?

D

Deleted member 21258

Not sure really for me probably only what I consider 10%. Tho I have played with people who get down on themselves after just one slightly bad shot and blow up and at that stage about 90% was in their head, rather than just scoring and taking the wasn't that a 'good bad shot'/'it could be worse' outlook.

For me, I only play for fun and never lose the belief that the next shot is going to be my best shot ever/on that day. I do have some days that I just couldn't care about(normally I then don't bother with the short game and my scores are really bad) or I hack big time, but still believe it. Not sure what that says about me.

So I say about 10% for me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's hard to judge accurately to put a number on it. But I think my mental approach to every round is exactly the same - just thinking and knowing that I have the shots for a really good round if I can put them all together at the same time! I don't think a bad or good round affects my confidence for the next round, because regardless of that, I know what I'm capable of, so I try and set myself high expectations within that.

The only time I may occasionally have a confidence issue is when I'm on a hole that usually struggle with. So at my home course, for some reason I never do well on the first, so when I'm on the first tee that is in my mind slightly - although it could also be to do with not being warmed up or loose enough, given that it's the first. The second tee shot is a bit of daunting one as well, but everything after that is normally largely unaffected by any mental issues.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well.....
Yesterday was the usual round with Fragger and CVG.
Because of work I knew I would have to leave either after the 14th or the 16th depending on time
As a result, my head wasn't in the right place and I didn't play at all well.
Shuffled the diary and went on a solo "get my head together" round at 7 this morning..
Shot a +2 75 gross....because my head was in the right place...

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
For me its a large percentage, if theres other things on my mind like work or family I'm all over the place. Its contradictory but when this happens and I'm out on the course I kind of don't want to be there but If I'm at home or work I want to be on the course. Messes me up and I don't play well regardless.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
50:50 for me. Good example. I played with a 4 h/c last weekend. He hit the same tempo of shot whether driver, rescue, 6 iron or wedge. Me, I hit the short irons with a lovely controlled swing and hit them well. The longer the distance the more the tempo speeds up. Give me a long second shot, even throw in some water and the demons come out. I know what I need to do but putting it into practice is another matter.

If you don't have the shots in the first place then you have nothing so ability has to be the starting point. After that it does start to become a game in your head.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think it's a big percentage, possibly more than 60/40 or even 70/30.

If you're not confident or your confidence wains whilst out on the course, you're stuffed!!

I'm going through this currently, I used to be so confident off the tee but now I'm almost questioning myself and thinking of negative things (what ifs) far too much whilst over the ball, it's a crippling thing to go through, worse than the hermans imo..

D

Deleted member 16999

Imo it will depend on the type of round you're playing, but using a monthly medal as an example, I would think the low handicappers worry less 30/70 and the high handicappers more 80/20.

The low handicappers will have a more reliable swing and can recover from a bad situation easier, whereas a high handicapper will worry about more parts of their game and tend to compound mistskes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
100% of my game is governed by my thinking.

That aside - I reckon that my ball-striking, course management and consistency has improved by at least 50% since I really focussed on playing one shot at a time - working out what I want to do and the risks, and then what shot to play. Then when preping the shot and over the I ball focus on playing the shot and not thinking at all about what might happen if it does not go to plan. After hitting the ball I then immediately put out of my mind (as best I can) the success or failure of the shot.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Imo it will depend on the type of round you're playing, but using a monthly medal as an example, I would think the low handicappers worry less 30/70 and the high handicappers more 80/20.

The low handicappers will have a more reliable swing and can recover from a bad situation easier, whereas a high handicapper will worry about more parts of their game and tend to compound mistskes.

Wise words :thup:

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been told the mental side is vastly underrated and really is 90/95% !

A few years ago I got to attend a day with Lanny Bassham and his son at Bisley having come across his book With Winning In Mind through my archery and hearing he was coming to the UK.

Lanny is an olympic gold medalist shooter, multiple world champion, and his son also a multiple world champion. They had presented to the shooting community the day before (had 90+ in the room) and were heading off to work with the British Olympic Archery team later in the week.

We got lucky as had just 6 of us in the group - including the Army rugby team manager and head coach and a few other sports but had a brilliantly interactive session.

They focus a lot on sports such as shooting, golf (Funk, Sabbatini, Crane were current clients at that time - had good discussion on how Crane dealt with speeding his play up and other challenges) and archery where the sport is very much repeating a consistent action - key being conscious/subconscious split and what I would describe as repetition.

You consciously analyse the shot required, select the club, assess wind effect etc and then using a repeatable pre shot routine/shot process action this all via the subconscious you play the shot.

Like when we drive for example so much we do happens automatically through the subconscious we should do the same in golf.

Basically they reckoned 90/95% is governed by the mental side and this is the key differentiator in sport as coaching/equipment etc get so many to a very similar level.

We as amateurs probably struggle more with the execution of the swing and have too many swing thoughts each time we stand over the ball unable to clear our minds and execute/trust as we are thinking too much about outcome, miss this, go here, don't shank, don't do what you did last time etc.

Overall I do think we underestimate the mental side but at the amateur level I was not convinced the level of impact was this high - too many additional variables the elite have conquered.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This is where my game has fallen apart over the last couple of years.

Confidence when stood over the ball is generally zero and most thoughts are about bad outcomes; OB, water, topped, shank, fat, duff, slice, etc.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I try my best to forget about bad shots and bad holes, I used to dwell on them but now I just laugh out loud and find it makes my put them into perspective so I would say only about 5%

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
probably different for amateurs etc and becomes more important the lower you get and the greater expectation put on you as a pro or elite player.

i hear quite often when elite players and former players are talked about.. "they were not mentally tough enough" the records are littered with the next big thing.. that didn't have that edge.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would probably say it's about 90:10 for me. I know I can hit the ball ok and when relaxed and content it's easy to do, if pressure is added then I start to analyse how to hit the ball, remember this and that etc. For me it is as soon as doubts / thoughts sneak in that it goes belly up.
the golf swing is fairly simple - it's your thoughts that mess you up!

Leereed

Head Pro
Visit site
It would be high percentage for me, if my head is not in the game I might as well go home.Played a medal at ours on Saturday shot a 66(nett).on Sunday it was a bogey comp which I can't stand as a comp shot +8 and was crap.
Due to no interest in the comp I struggle to concentrate.Give me a medal any day.

Skeggy1

Visit site
Yes a good percentage of your successful golf is in the mind. Your dealing every time with a dead ball situation. Your handicap, whatever it is, determines your ability. So what's the problem. We all have periods of poor form but confidence is in the mind. Progression in the game gives you a choice of shots in many positions so thinking and shot management takes a larger part. Be confident in your ability, simplify the game, if it does not happen on any given day, so what, it is what it is, but be prepared, confident, think, slow things down if necessary but have a routine and above all believe.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

100% agree!

as a high handicapper I can relate to this.. always thinking to much

today was a fine example... hit a lovely driver then wedge into par 4 to sink my birdie , then next hole par 3 I land the tee off next to bunker off to side of green..... go in the bunker... thin it out.. walked off with a 6 and cursing myself for getting too excited with the birdie

next hole was similar great getting to green then bamn

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm someone that has made golf hard for myself over the years and not only has technique been wanting but I've not thought my way around courses. I've started an NLP programme in the last few days which I hope will add some clarity and clearness to my golf and so even if I don't swing the club well I can think well and hope that will help. Probably not but it's something I've wanted to do for a while and this is the first time I've taken the plunge.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's about how much we let the conscious brain get in the way of the subconscious brain. The conscious brain is involved in choosing the club and line etc but once we get into the swing the more the subconscious brain does the better!

In one way of looking at it, the more your (concious) brain does the worse things will be (most of the time).

So it's all, 100%, our head BUT it's really down to how much our concious brain interferes (steering a driver or a putt) with the sub concious.