What new courses are you playing in 2018

• Thread starter Deleted member 17920
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

Well that is Hamptworth ticked off. Only £12 for a round and the course was virtually empty. It was quite wet underfoot but I've played worse, not a lot of mud around, I reckon the wheels on my trolley were cleaner when I finished the round than when I started.

I wimped out of playing the 16th as a par 6, played from the regular yellow tee at 566 yards. However I now think it would have made more sense to play the whole 666 yards, as my drive should have well past the yellow tee and so I would have been in a more advanced spot with 5 shots still left to play for par.

I have to say it was one of the more interesting courses I've played. Every hole was different and lots of elevation changes but never an uphill slog. I will definitely return later in the year when the conditions are better.

I used to be a member there, must have improved considerably since I left because apart from 10 thru to 14 it is pretty poorly designed. Too many uphill shots from downhill lies and holes where you have to lay up with a short iron off the tee. They also made a big mistake when they cut down the big tree on the left of the 5th fairway as it changed the dynamic of the hole. Used to be a strategic tee shot to get the best line into the green, now you can just blast a driver straight at the green. When I asked the secretary why it was taken out he said "The members complained it got in the way" :eek:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just booked an open at a new course for 2018. St Annes Old Links. So excited, will be my first experience playing a proper links course, can't wait!

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Signed up for the Midland golf challenge so Little Aston and Beau Desert new for me :) fancy a medal at Northants County this year August £35 and a meal #Bargain

Just need a few new Birmingham based medals this year.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing as exciting as some of the lists so far. So far have Duns and Dalmahoy penciled in. Gona try get a few more in via some opens, so that i can play more courses but also to play some more competitive golf.

D

Deleted member 17920

Got a few new ones lined up this year, what have you got lined up and looking forward to.

Dont know if I will beat last year as I was very blessed with some amazing courses.

So far booked.

Princes
Royal Cinque Ports
Royal St Georges
Silloth
Turnberry both
Southerness
Walton Health Old
Enville both
Purdis Heath
Woodbridge
Thetford
Frilford Heath
West Hill
Liphook

Also hoping to book.

Blackwell
Stanton on the Wolds
Keddleston
Royal Aberdeen
Trump Aberdeen

And if I can fit it in I am so tempted to book to Northern Ireland in November for a few days.

So what you all got lined up?

So how did everyone get on, did you play the courses you wanted to?

I missed

Purdis Heath (had to bail as I got an invite to Royal Troon)
Woodbridge
Frilford heath due to going to Paris for the Ryder Cup :cool:

But did manage to get a few more in ;)

Did Stanton on the Wolds, for anyone that hasn't played it play in the coronation pairs event, greens so so fast it was unreal.

Also managed to sneak in unexpectedly.

Royal Troon
Troon Portland
Dundonald
Barassie
Western Gailes
The Old Course
Royal Porthcawl
Royal Birkdale
Swinley Forest
West Sussex
Cuddington
Camberley heath
Berkshire Blue
Manchester

Managed to get 28 away courses this year, not quite a record for me but the quality of courses that I played was incredible, just a shame I cant actually play them properly :cry:

Only got Prestwick and Muirfield to play to complete the Open courses.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Been a quiet year for me, only played 11 new courses this year (7 of them in the top 100)

Problem is I'm having to travel so far to find new courses (n)

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So how did everyone get on, did you play the courses you wanted to?

I missed

Purdis Heath (had to bail as I got an invite to Royal Troon)
Woodbridge
Frilford heath due to going to Paris for the Ryder Cup :cool:

But did manage to get a few more in ;)

Did Stanton on the Wolds, for anyone that hasn't played it play in the coronation pairs event, greens so so fast it was unreal.

Also managed to sneak in unexpectedly.

Royal Troon
Troon Portland
Dundonald
Barassie
Western Gailes
The Old Course
Royal Porthcawl
Royal Birkdale
Swinley Forest
West Sussex
Cuddington
Camberley heath
Berkshire Blue
Manchester

Managed to get 28 away courses this year, not quite a record for me but the quality of courses that I played was incredible, just a shame I cant actually play them properly :cry:

Only got Prestwick and Muirfield to play to complete the Open courses.

Think MGC should be top of that list :rolleyes:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One - an invitation - Windlesham - though managed 5 holes of Southerness before the weather defeated us.

My Mrs is very anti me paying good (any) money to play golf away from home as I pay a kings ransom to be a member of my own club. Just can't justify it. Never mind the time...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Marina GC @ Mojacar. 7/10. Got some great holes but also a few naff ones.
Valle Del Este 8/10. A well balanced course, and very fair. Was in great nick till they screwed up watering the greens in Sept.
Desert Springs. 7/10. Greens are good but fairways a little bare in places. Some holes are punishingly narrow.
Lorca. 6/10. Not a bad layout at all but fairways were poor all year. More water required. Greens not bad but don't blow you away.
Aguilon. 9/10. Great layout. Excellent condition. Front 9 is way harder than the back 9, so a little unbalanced.
La Envia. 8/10. Reminds me of the Old Course @ Vilamoura. In good nick. Has a few very hard par 4's.
Alboran. ????/10. Only played it the once. A bit longer than anything else I've played out here but mostly wide open, and almost like playing in a couple of big fields. A bit unforgettable.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had a good year with new courses. Having only played golf for 4 years a lot of courses are new to me.

The highlights are:

RCD
Lough Erne
Portugal where I played 4 new courses
Seapoint
Portmarnock Hotel

Played a few more smaller courses but those stood out to me as being fantastic. I did miss out on a couple I wanted to play but the timings just didn't work or the weather beat me.

Got Castlerock and Laytown and bettystown already booked for the new year and also another trip to Portugal in March.

D

Deleted member 21258

Top 200 courses :-

Loch Lomond
The Wisley
St Andrews Old course
Aberdovey
Ganton
Liphook
Machrihanish
Machrihanish Dunes
Nefyn
North Berwick
Princes
Royal Cinque Ports
Royal Liverpool
Royal Lytham & St Annes
Sheringham
The Belfry – Brabazon
Turnberry – Alisa
Turnberry - Roberts

Other courses

Bamburgh Castle
Callender
Church Stretton
Coventry
Dunstanburgh Castle
Portmadog
Royal Cromer
Seahouses
Turnberry – Wee course

Really enjoyed some of the 'non-top' courses, and special thumbs up for Church Stretton, Bamburgh and Dunstanburgh Castle (y)

Revisited others
Woburn Dukes, Woburn Marquees, Little Aston, Royal St Davids, Beau Desert, Royal St Georges, Mile End , Conwy, Barnham Broom Hill course, Barnham Broom Valley course, Chelmsford, Foresters Park

Been very lucky this year and a big thanks goes out to wife for letting me play on holidays and I have been luckily enough to have taken more holiday this year than in any year before.:cool: