what loft for driver

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
hi ive been using a 12 degree driver for one season. getting not bad distance but very high. feeling more confident with it. but would prefer more length than air time. any advice on what to go for 8.5, 9.5 or 10.5.
years ago i couldnt hit a driver couldnt get it up. but using a tm r7 cgb max gets it high most of the time. any thoughts advice please

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am no expert but from my fitting it also depends on the club, shaft the lot. I needed a bit higher launch angle but 6 drivers of the same loft produced markedly different results. Take, for example, the Taylormade r9. No matter how much loft I could not get that one up on the air.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree that loft is only a small part of it. You need to find a shaft that works for you and gives you optimum performance and the only really accurate way is to get on a launch monitor or get custom fitted.

painterboy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
hi ive been using a 12 degree driver for one season. getting not bad distance but very high. feeling more confident with it. but would prefer more length than air time. any advice on what to go for 8.5, 9.5 or 10.5.
years ago i couldnt hit a driver couldnt get it up. but using a tm r7 cgb max gets it high most of the time. any thoughts advice please

For many years I used a 9% driver,kidding myself this would give me more distance.
Decided to get fitted,and ended up with 11% loft and a regular light shaft.
Outcome? More distance, and better accuracy.
Might be a good idea to find out if it's your swing that is giving you a high ball flight.

Getting the right shaft is very important as other posters say.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree that loft is only a small part of it. You need to find a shaft that works for you and gives you optimum performance and the only really accurate way is to get on a launch monitor or get custom fitted.

I agree.

I have a weakness for drivers, not because I can't get on with one, I can get on with lots!
The shaft plays an important role in getting close to ideal launch conditions. As you say, you have a 12 and it seems to go high, so considering a lower loft is probably a sensible way to go.
The way I see it, too much loft is hardly going to ruin a decent swing but not enough can prove frustrating and costly.
There are plenty of folk on here who get enough "lift" (I know it's not a golf term!) with quite low lofts.
Try lots, try and get on a Launch Monitor and don't be too vain about the number (degrees) on the bottom of the club.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you are hitting a 12 then I'd go for a 10.5° first and see if you like the results. Get on a launch monitor and try a few shaft/loft combinations.

Personally (with the new golfballs being better for high lauch-low spin) I'd stay away from anything below 9.5° unless you have a swing fault :D

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As others have suggested, I'd be looking at a different shaft to keep the ball a bit lower rather than going with a lower lofted club.
Something like a Grafalloy Prolaunch red with it's higher kickpoint will keep the ball down a bit, whilst still retaining the confidence that a clubface with a bit of loft will give you.
If your driving goes off on any given day, there's nothing like staring down at 9 degrees of clubface to make the OOB or lake on the right seem that little bit closer. OK if you've got a repeatable swing and have 100% confidence in your driving ability. But most of us haven't got that have we??????

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
get fitted by the right person.

I went on a launch monitor, verdict very low launch angle (r7 11 deg mid reg) must be wrong shaft, try this 10.5 r9 with a low kick shaft at £229. yes I could get a better launch with it.

went for second opinion - no, it's not the shaft it's you - one lesson and a £99 driver later (well I fancied a new one anyway!) I'm hitting better.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That is a fair point and obviously a slower swing will need a different shaft to someone who swings faster or generates more power. The only real option is to get some form of professional advice. I'd start with your club pro as he probably has some idea how you swing and pay and may be able to even watch you hit a few. It might even be as simple and cheap as a minor swing issue

ericsonnycon

Medal Winner
Visit site
Whilst on the subject, would altering the height of the tee make a big difference to the launch angle and distance? I mean would a lower tee height give a more penetrating ball flight and more distance? or would you chaps recommend the same height, stick to what you know if you so wish? as you can tell I'm no expert! :D

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
If your swing is pretty decent teeing the ball lower will lower the flight although it could make you hit down on the ball and have the reverse affect.

Personally if the loft on the driver whatever it is gives the correct launch angle and the shaft gives the correct spin for your swing speed is the only way to max out your distance

The slower somebody swings the more backspin needed and vice versa.

I read in a recent mag the Bubba Watson uses a 6 degree driver and gets a launch of 16 degrees with under 2000rpm spin with a 123mph clubhead speed.If the average golfer had that low of spin the ball would just drop out of the sky

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Have you checked your ball position at address ? Too far forward will make you hit higher. I was always taught to play ball off the inside of left heel.

Just a thought,but might save buying a new driver!

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
play ball inside left heel.ive just got back into golf after a 15 year gap (no i dont rob banks). before i could not get driver up. now modern clubs are geared for high air time. got the confidence back to hit driver just thought lower loft = distance. also i have bought into technology etc as putter is a yes with groves to promote forword roll. So fellow golfers Square or Round drivers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Word of caution with AG. A lot of their shop staff aren't that well trained on launch monitors and so won't really be able to translate the numbers into cohesive information. Its only the store mamangers that go on a full training course to learn about the monitors. Most of the shop staff will only be able to tell you if it went straight and how far. If your club hasn't got a pro I'd go to a nearby one that has or a proper custom fitting centre.