What is the a golf shot that starts down the middle and drifts to the left?

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Had a lesson yesterday and hit about 300 balls today down the top tracer where roughly 50% of my shots went straight down the middle to the top of the apex then as soon as it it descended would drift left and I’d end up between 20ft-40ft left of the target.

It’s a shot I have rarely played since I started last summer. The lesson has obviously done something but to consistently see the same miss has been annoying.

could I have just picked a bad day due to the wind. The lesson has given me huge height to my shots and maybe was carried left due to wind?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
At what point does it become a hook?
When the '20-40 Feet' you mentioned becomes 20-40 yards!
Also if I start aiming to the right of my target to compensate for this shot there will be times I hit the ball straight and the shot ends up looking like a push.
If you want/need to be 'defensive', aim half as much right of centre as you think the ball will curve. That way you'll end up a bit right (if straight) to a bit left (if 'max curve') of centre - so generally very playable.

Learning how to consistently hit a Draw will allow you to adjust that 'defensive' approach to a more aggressive one if required.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A draw starts a little right of target and finishes on target.
A hook starts a little right of target and finishes left of target.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A pro I've had lessons would love what you are doing here. By having a shape you can take one side of the course out of play. You can aim down the inside right channel, Google that if you are too young ?, and your ball either ends down the right side of the fairway or comes back to the middle. Win, win.

That and your pp's will all be making appreciative noises in admiration. Amateurs all love a gentle draw ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…on OP question…for me it’s a problem as I trying to hit a fade with every shot. When it goes the other way I know I am doing something wrong. - even when the result might be OK ?. And as for those who might making admiring comments on my draws…huh ?

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I think I need a good few rounds and some more baskets to figure out exactly how my shot shapes are. Although I’d love to call it a draw I can’t help but feel it’s more of a hook because it’s not landing on it’s target line (yet)

Its basically a new swing so looking forward to seeing how this plays over spring / summer.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think I need a good few rounds and some more baskets to figure out exactly how my shot shapes are. Although I’d love to call it a draw I can’t help but feel it’s more of a hook because it’s not landing on it’s target line (yet)

Its basically a new swing so looking forward to seeing how this plays over spring / summer.

You mentioned the wind in the OP. Was it right to left? May have had an affect on the shape but sounds like you were hitting draws which is a nice thing to have as a stock shot. Keep at it but see if you can send a video to your teaching pro and ask him if he thinks it's what you're working on and that he's happy with the size of the movement if it wasn't wind affected

Bamberdele21

Visit site
You mentioned the wind in the OP. Was it right to left? May have had an affect on the shape but sounds like you were hitting draws which is a nice thing to have as a stock shot. Keep at it but see if you can send a video to your teaching pro and ask him if he thinks it's what you're working on and that he's happy with the size of the movement if it wasn't wind affected

Just spoke to him and he assures me it’s because I have a strong grip. We didn’t focus on grip yesterday but I’m sure he noticed it then. I’ve attached a couple of photos.

I’d say it was a fairly firm grip tightness wise and I feel as tho I hold the club in both hands evenly, not far off the same way I’d hold a baseball bat.

Any tips on what I’m doing wrong here?

Attachments

• 09EAC762-D8C6-4149-B719-2C07CA72060D.jpeg
    09EAC762-D8C6-4149-B719-2C07CA72060D.jpeg
    798.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 897728AF-F0D1-41F7-B9A4-AEBCD91168FD.jpeg
    897728AF-F0D1-41F7-B9A4-AEBCD91168FD.jpeg
    908.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apologies if you already know this, but a strong grip usually means hands too far clockwise on the grip rather than how tightly you hold it.

I’m no expert but it doesn’t look too strong to me. Maybe the left hand a little weak to me if anything.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
…on OP question…for me it’s a problem as I trying to hit a fade with every shot. When it goes the other way I know I am doing something wrong. - even when the result might be OK ?. And as for those who might making admiring comments on my draws…huh ?

A pro taught me to lay the club off at the top, which gave me a fade. Not an easy position to ‘feel’ but easier than controlling hitting hit on plane with an open face.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just spoke to him and he assures me it’s because I have a strong grip. We didn’t focus on grip yesterday but I’m sure he noticed it then. I’ve attached a couple of photos.

I’d say it was a fairly firm grip tightness wise and I feel as tho I hold the club in both hands evenly, not far off the same way I’d hold a baseball bat.

Any tips on what I’m doing wrong here?

Do you deliberately hold the club base ball style (ten finger grip) i.e no interlocking/overlapping of the fingers?

Good video about grip styles here

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
At what point does it become a hook?

Also if I start aiming to the right of my target to compensate for this shot there will be times I hit the ball straight and the shot ends up looking like a push.

not many good golfers aim for a straight shot though they factor in the shot shape they're playing.

a straight shot 0 path 0 face is a bloody hard thing to pull off.