What is a fair suspension ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Is that not the entire point of sponsoring a tournament?
That's what I was thinking. It certainly doesn't provide evidence that people would join a Committee to benefit financially. In fact, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Committee before. Unless this chap was paying someone on the Committee backhanders to host this event?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is that not the entire point of sponsoring a tournament?

Read the last line re trustworthy member, most committee members are regarded by the membership as trustworthy members. [after all they were elected by them].
It has been my experience that a certain number of committee members that I have worked with I would not have trusted to mind my dog.

Chico84

Visit site
You say here your ban is up on 1 Oct, but in a later post you say that you have served your ban in full. Both cannot be true so how can we be sure your side Of the story is totally factual and correct?

I interpreted that to mean effectively served as we’re almost in October anyway. It feels a little unfair to question what has been an otherwise consistently replayed version of events based on a minor discrepancy.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I interpreted that to mean effectively served as we’re almost in October anyway. It feels a little unfair to question what has been an otherwise consistently replayed version of events based on a minor discrepancy.
Might seem unfair to you but the OP hasn’t been on to clarify so I still think we might not be getting to full story

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Given what's happened surely you would prefer to just join elsewhere and start over?

My thoughts as well. Even if the ban is served and the OP is allowed back in, there will always an undercurrent, perhaps some whisperings amongst groups in the clubhouse and certainly mistrust on both sides about how the club is run and members attitudes. A clean break (and that isn't allowing for gossip to travel to other locally clubs if it hasn't already done so) would seem the only way forward to enjoy being a member somewhere again

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes I see this valid point.
But if everything the op said is accurate, Then it’s the Comittiee getting rid of members asking awkward questions.
That’s not right imo.

I totally agree although we're never going to get both sides of this story and I can't seeing the club or committee wanting to much of it to become public knowledge. That leaves the OP in the unfortunate situation of having a large stain against his character at the club and sadly, at some clubs there will always be those whispers and rumours going around about what really happened. If it were I, to be able to enjoy my golf and play without any added stress and enjoy the 19th hole as well then I'd be getting out and joining somewhere else asap before the rumour mill goes into over drive and it gets to other clubs. It isn't necessarily right and I feel for the OP and how this appears to have played out but sometimes prudence is the better option

Chico84

Visit site
I totally agree although we're never going to get both sides of this story and I can't seeing the club or committee wanting to much of it to become public knowledge. That leaves the OP in the unfortunate situation of having a large stain against his character at the club and sadly, at some clubs there will always be those whispers and rumours going around about what really happened. If it were I, to be able to enjoy my golf and play without any added stress and enjoy the 19th hole as well then I'd be getting out and joining somewhere else asap before the rumour mill goes into over drive and it gets to other clubs. It isn't necessarily right and I feel for the OP and how this appears to have played out but sometimes prudence is the better option

I’ve never been a member of a golf club so I don’t know how it all works but if there’s around 700 members then surely not everyone can be whispering. I’d imagine a large number if members just go to have a round and then a beer or two after. It’s not high school (or am I being too generous?!) and even if it was, who cares, as long as there are still mates who will play a round with you and you can still enjoy it that’s all that matters.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’ve never been a member of a golf club so I don’t know how it all works but if there’s around 700 members then surely not everyone can be whispering. I’d imagine a large number if members just go to have a round and then a beer or two after. It’s not high school (or am I being too generous?!) and even if it was, who cares, as long as there are still mates who will play a round with you and you can still enjoy it that’s all that matters.

You are quite right. Most don't give a flying fig about what is going on behind the scenes or any of the latest gossip and turn up, play, maybe have a pint after and go home. Sadly there are also others, sometimes in their own little cliques that feel they need to know (and to some degree in their minds have the right to know) exactly what is going on and exactly how the club is being run and that all officers of the club are doing their jobs properly. They want to know any gossip about fellow members and want to be the source of all knowledge. I think a lot of clubs have these, and to a large degree their gossiping is nothing more than an irritation and boring but if they get a whiff of a scandal they'll be right into it. That won't do the OP's position any favours