What I struggle with time after time...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Depends on what's between me and the pin. If it's relatively flat and I'm close to the green I'll go with a 6 or 7 iron. If I've got an uphill approach or any fluffy stuff to carry then more loft.

A lot of it is down to a combination in the summer at our place of 2/3 inches of fluffy green side rough and bone hard greens. I've found it has got progressively worse in the last two years. The head greenkeeper needs to make his mind up. We're an inland links where bump and run into concrete greens used to be the order if the day - we've still got the concrete greens but with USGA style rough. It's played havoc with my short game.

I'm a former 9 handicap now off 12 and it's driving me crackers.

If you choose the 6 or 7, you have to be quite delicate with the shorter ones. If, during the stroke, you feel the backswing is too long, then the killer is you quit on it, stub the club into the ground and the ball goes nowhere.
Try using a PW/GW and try chipping with that. The extra loft means you can be a bit more aggressive with the shot reducing this chance of duffing it.
As Crazyface said earlier, you have to hit it but choose the right club first.
And if the shot is really tight, try experimenting hitting the ball with the toe of the club

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
8 iron from the edge is my new fav! Holes a few at the local par 3.

My tip is to learn your landing spots and run for each club and try to land in the zone surrounding the spot in practice.

On the course I pick the flattest zone closest to me ON THE GREEN (sometimes the fringe, only if needed due to a tight pin) then choose the club based on the distance to the landing zone and the flag.

On nice flat shots from the fringe its often an 8 or 7 iron, the less green and closer to the pin the landing zone is, the more loft I take. The rest of the shot plays like a putt, accounting for break etc.

nta73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I went to the course this afternoon and tried the tips in the video, much better results that normal.

i played during the week and used the tips in the video and found some good improvements to my chipping so thanks for putting the video on here:thup:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I went to the course this afternoon and tried the tips in the video, much better results that normal.

That video is the way I was taught to chip last year but I have been struggling of late and watching that video showed me where I was going wrong. Focussing on the grip moving rather than the clubhead seems to be the key for me.