What I struggle with time after time...

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just off the green, maybe 10-15 yards. I fluff every time. I either bottle it and and end up still being short of the green, or I play the right weight but thin it across the other side.

From further out I'm usually fine, it's just these poxy little ones I can't seem to over come.

Any tips for getting a good connection?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just off the green, maybe 10-15 yards. I fluff every time. I either bottle it and and end up still being short of the green, or I play the right weight but thin it across the other side.

From further out I'm usually fine, it's just these poxy little ones I can't seem to over come.

Have a search for Bob's pitching video in the experts section. Great bit of advice

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What club are you using for these shots?

A couple of things it might be are that you either slow down on the downswing or you dont have the ball far enough back in your stance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I struggle a little, but the linear method is making it easier to connect and commit

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have a search for Bob's pitching video in the experts section. Great bit of advice

+1 to this.

While you're on the Bob theme, buy a V easy. My handicap has come down a lot since spending ages on these shots. If conditions allow, I use a 7 iron or a similar club and the chip-putt method.
My chipping is now pretty decent but it was horrendous. It's surprising how quickly you can at least get the ball safely onto the middle of the green when you chip-putt the ball, even the mis hits aren't disastrous.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
[video=youtube_share;ijSB37X5GNA]http://youtu.be/ijSB37X5GNA[/video]

couple key points, head really quiet & level, weight on the lead leg, at address hands over top of the front of the ball only so no big forwards leaning shaft, move the handle both back & through the shot - keep the handle moving - & left wrist flat.
chest turn controls the motion with arms connected - not arm swing alone. try to finish with the left arm, left wrist & club in the follow through in a pretty straight line.

Last edited:

Billythefish

Assistant Pro
www.cdhtraining.co.uk
The one and only time I have ever had a pro tell me 'it's safe to say you can do that then' during a lesson. Best part of my game by a mile. Seven iron with your putting stroke. Really really important to keep the club moving.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Used to be my biggest strength, but my chipping is now woeful. Fat or thin, but more often than not fat THEN thin, with the odd double hit for good measure.

Tee to green I'm a single figure player. 50 yards and in I'm a 28 handicap these days.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Used to be my biggest strength, but my chipping is now woeful. Fat or thin, but more often than not fat THEN thin, with the odd double hit for good measure.

Tee to green I'm a single figure player. 50 yards and in I'm a 28 handicap these days.

Is it chipping or pitching you're having problems with?

Billysboots

Visit site
Chipping predominantly, but it's putting huge pressure on the rest of my game because I dare not miss greens!

Yesterday was a classic example. Just short of the par 4 1st in two, I had to hole a 10 footer for a 6. The 3rd is a par 5. Munched my drive down the middle, 2 iron pin high and 5 yards left of the green. Duffed two chips, thinned the next and walked away with a 7.

To say I'm frustrated would be an understatement.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Chipping predominantly, but it's putting huge pressure on the rest of my game because I dare not miss greens!

Yesterday was a classic example. Just short of the par 4 1st in two, I had to hole a 10 footer for a 6. The 3rd is a par 5. Munched my drive down the middle, 2 iron pin high and 5 yards left of the green. Duffed two chips, thinned the next and walked away with a 7.

To say I'm frustrated would be an understatement.

Do you normally use a straight faced club, 7 or an 8 or do you prefer Pw/ Sw?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is definitely something I have problems with, I am great when chipping to the practice green but out on the course I seem to forget everything that I do right.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's simple. My guess is you are a higher H/C for a start and don't play a huge amount. These type of shots you will play time and time again and your H/c will stay as it is until you can master it. How? Two simple things.
1. You MUST CONTINUE TO LOOK DOWN AT THE BALL UNTIL IT HAS BEEN HIT.
This will ensure that you will hit the ball behind, and underneath it to lift it up and stop the thinning.

2. As you line up the shot, and begin to play the shot, Keep saying to yourself, in your mind, or even under your breath.
HIT IT, HIT IT, HIT IT, HIT IT, HIT IT, HIT IT, HIT IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will stop the fluffed 30cm duff.

Honestly, that will solve you problems. Ignore all other replies. THIS WILL WORK !!!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube_share;ijSB37X5GNA]http://youtu.be/ijSB37X5GNA[/video]

couple key points, head really quiet & level, weight on the lead leg, at address hands over top of the front of the ball only so no big forwards leaning shaft, move the handle both back & through the shot - keep the handle moving - & left wrist flat.
chest turn controls the motion with arms connected - not arm swing alone. try to finish with the left arm, left wrist & club in the follow through in a pretty straight line.

That highlighted everything that I do wrong!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One good tip I was given was make sure you focus on the landing zone, i.e. the part of the green, fringe etc you want to hit. Means you a) tend to take less risks, i.e. why take a 60' wedge to flop it up to drop stone dead within a foot of the pin, when you can bump a 9 iron a few feet and let it run out towards the pin b) it makes you commit to that spot knowing that's the landing zone and it still needs to get to the pin so reduces the amount of half hearted strikes

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

That was a really good video. Thanks. He has some excellent videos, just watching another of his videos now.

[video=youtube;dqWXoTH7imE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqWXoTH7imE[/video]

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been out this morning and had a go with my 28* hybrid from just off the green as I tend to leave mine well short even when I connect clean!

The hybrid went ok, got to the flag an beyond!

Might be my new play!

Billysboots

Visit site
Do you normally use a straight faced club, 7 or an 8 or do you prefer Pw/ Sw?

Depends on what's between me and the pin. If it's relatively flat and I'm close to the green I'll go with a 6 or 7 iron. If I've got an uphill approach or any fluffy stuff to carry then more loft.

A lot of it is down to a combination in the summer at our place of 2/3 inches of fluffy green side rough and bone hard greens. I've found it has got progressively worse in the last two years. The head greenkeeper needs to make his mind up. We're an inland links where bump and run into concrete greens used to be the order if the day - we've still got the concrete greens but with USGA style rough. It's played havoc with my short game.

I'm a former 9 handicap now off 12 and it's driving me crackers.