What has ruined your game ?

Superstriker

Medal Winner
Visit site
I would honestly say this craze of shallowing the club has ruined me and millions of others. I honestly don’t even see the purpose of it if you can’t do it naturally. I think most golfers would play better on the steeper side versus manufacturing a shallow move
Thoughts ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I think there are plenty of amateurs around that would benefit from a steeper downswing.
I've always been seeing many dreadful flat downswings coming in with the clubface open and the body spinning round to try and compensate to get the face square at impact resulting in a really ugly flat follow through and loads of poorly struck shots.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think there are plenty of amateurs around that would benefit from a steeper downswing.
I've always been seeing many dreadful flat downswings coming in with the clubface open and the body spinning round to try and compensate to get the face square at impact resulting in a really ugly flat follow through and loads of poorly struck shots.
I see lots of amateurs who have a flat backswing and throw the club out in the transition turning into a steep downswing which results in a low follow through.
I think trying to increase the steepness of the downswing would be a mistake for most

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I see lots of amateurs who have a flat backswing and throw the club out in the transition turning into a steep downswing which results in a low follow through.
I think trying to increase the steepness of the downswing would be a mistake for most
It certainly would be a mistake, if they have a flat backswing to start with.

I think I should have said that many amateurs I have seen over the years would benefit from a simpler steeper swing, back and down.
They seem obsessed with swinging in-to-out to avoid slicing ("cutting across it"), but end up with a very open clubface coming in and continue slicing and an occasional shank.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It certainly would be a mistake, if they have a flat backswing to start with.

I think I should have said that many amateurs I have seen over the years would benefit from a simpler steeper swing, back and down.
They seem obsessed with swinging in-to-out to avoid slicing ("cutting across it"), but end up with a very open clubface coming in and continue slicing and an occasional shank.
I went from a flat swing to a steeper swing for the reasons you give above. Took me years to get consistency but this year everything has clicked into place and at 61 am playing my best golf ever. Sometimes I get a bit too steep and put too much spin on the ball but I can live with that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I went from a flat swing to a steeper swing for the reasons you give above. Took me years to get consistency but this year everything has clicked into place and at 61 am playing my best golf ever. Sometimes I get a bit too steep and put too much spin on the ball but I can live with that.
I’m a work in progress for a similar issue, mine is changing strong In2Out to Out2In. 30 months and counting I’m getting there - and like you starting to play my best golf ever…at 65. But change is tough.

Superstriker

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think of someone can develop their swing that isn’t overly steep or shallow.. with a decent setup. That is all they need to be successful. Then focus on impact alignments thru practice. You may not be a tour player… but you will be effective on any course you ever play

It’s amazing how many robotic swings you see on the ranges and courses. Everyone has lost any athletic tendencies in their motions. Looks gawd awful

ThinBullet

Visit site
I went for a few lessons this year with different coaches, and that sort of ruined my flow a wee bit, or more to the point my confidence, and I stagnated, and didn't move from 11 HC at all this season.

I'm fairly competent on my own with working things out, but my wedge game is absolutely rotten.

ThinBullet

Visit site
Left video was me 3 years ago, and the right was me this time last year. I hurt my back that xmas moving snow, but i'm back to that sort of swing now. Mega flat 3 years ago, and not so much now.

It's not dawned on me what I changed, and it was an image of pulling the clubhead away as straight down the line as I can, whereas before, I'd just whip it inside as far as I could.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Not practising as much as I used to.

I never had a great swing...a coach once said to me that I was a talented golfer, in that I was able to return the clubface back square to the ball, despite my swing.

Not practising my ropey swing has somewhat dented that ability.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think everyone’s got a natural swing and it’s very hard to change it.
I reckon this is definitely true once a certain number of repetitions are under the belt.
I wonder if I'd been coached before making any attempt at playing unsupervised I might have looked just like Adam Scott...??
As for getting rubbish: physical injury has been responsible for most of it. My golf has been reliably average for years now, bumping along around 10/11 without any particular shockers.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I reckon this is definitely true once a certain number of repetitions are under the belt.
I wonder if I'd been coached before making any attempt at playing unsupervised I might have looked just like Adam Scott...??
As for getting rubbish: physical injury has been responsible for most of it. My golf has been reliably average for years now, bumping along around 10/11 without any particular shockers.
Yes we ingrain a swing quite early that’s very hard to change when you have used it for years.

I have just concentrated on my short game the last few years as my long game is as good as it can be without major changes .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To ruin it suggests it was good at some stage 🤷‍♂️. If I stretch things, what holds me back.........dodgy lower back restricts my swing, freedom to swing. It isn't getting better, it's only going to go one way.