What do you use to clean your clubs/balls???

jcooper5083

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

Just wondering what you use product wise and technique to clean your clubs? with the weather being wetter the clubs tend to get muddier and although wiping them after each shot will help there will still be dirt building up.

also what do you use to keep the grooves clean and sharp?

Do you clean your golf balls at all and if so how?

fianlly do you use anything different for the woods than the irons?

Many thanks all

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if you search you will find several long threads on this, for me soap and water and a brush every now and again, some have far more intense cleaning routines than me though!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Soap and water ans a nail brush. I use a small wire brush when playing to get stuff out the grooves.

I've a mate that never cleans his clubs, ever been in his locker for 7 years between rounds;)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
depends, if its been a bit boggy/wet then I clean straight away and give a squirt of spray de-watering and wipe down (bt's version of wd40)

Summer I dont bother as I clean the head after each shot/wipe with towel

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

what about the gold balls, do you bother cleaning them?

if its Gold Balls then i would deff give them u buff up;)

We have ball washers on ever tee so a quick dunk in one of those and a dry with a towl.

Once the game is over i rearly touch my balls;)

WideEyedFox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Clubs get a wash down after every game. I usually put a tee in the butt end of the grip to stop any water getting in to the shaft, and then wipe down with little washing up liquid and warm water. The heads get cleaned with an old tooth brush, sometimes a small wire brush (golfing one) if they need it. Grips get a wipe down with a clean damp cloth.

Then I wipe down the shafts and back of the club heads with a cloth with WD40 or ACF50 on it.

Golf balls I usually clean on my towel while playing, but if they need cleaning any more I use a wet towel (usually my golf one before I put it in the washing machine).

Bag will get a wipe down and any hinges (from the stand) get WD40 or ACF50 applied where necessary. The trolley gets a wipe down and some 3-in-one with PTFE applied as well.

I've had my Ping Eye 2+ irons for 20 years, and other than re-gripping (which I'm about to do again) they're still going strong. A few dinks and bag clatter to add character here and there.

Word of warning - WD40 and alike likes eating away at glue/adhesive. Don't expect shaft labels to stay on long if you're cleaning regularly. I've had my shaft stickers replaced by Ping free of charge over the years.

Over time I notice the grips slip/rotate as well. This could be due to the age of the adhesive, or over time a little WD40/ACF50 getting in there and loosening things off. They get changed every 3-4 years anyway.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When I play it is a tee for the grooves and a towel. Nothing hight tech. Use the towel to wipe the ball although not adverse to using the trouser too. At home I use lukewarm (well I = the wife) water and a drop of washing up liquid and an old nail brush. Let them dry before putting back in the bag. Simples

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A bucket of Luke warm soapy water and a tooth brush after each round

Once a month ill take then into work so I can use the air compressor and air gun after standing them in a bucket of soapy water (gets dirt out of all the nooks and crannies). After I've wiped off any excess water I'll spray them with ac90

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm borderline OCD when it comes to clubs and shoes,but i'm puzzled as to why anybody would put WD40 or its equivalent anywhere near a golf club ?
I honestly can't imagine what the purpose of it is ?

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What do you use? have you got anything in particular to get them clean and protected?

My irons are almost 9 years old,and to be honest except for a bit of bag clatter,they look like new.
A wash in a bucket of warm water,with a squirt of Fairy,rinsed in clean water,and towel dried.Use a nailbrush to clean the grooves,and a sponge to wipe the shafts.
Unless you drop your clubs in a lake then leave them in the wet bag for a fortnight,theres no need for protection,especially lubricant types.Most irons have a protective finish,chrome,burnishing etc.HTH's