What do you hate about the game?

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
My real hate is the offer of a cheaper membership to attract new members while the loyal members pay the full whack.
Cheats who are willing to point the finger at the anyone who is willing to call it.
Committees who are willing to sweep certain issues under the carpet rather than deal with it.
To counter one post above...Groups of young lads who fart about as if their playing the tour, holding up this jolly old man.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
The game of golf, nothing. Wonderful sport, almost enjoy it as much as playing cricket.
Always gripes / moans about slow play, dress codes, too middle class etc, but golf as a sport is right up there.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I dislike that Professional golf is almost exclusively 72 hole stroke play events.

I dislike how critical people can be of some courses that aren't 'top' courses. As long as somewhere is in reasonable nick and you are playing with like minded folks, just enjoy it.

I hate that Trump owns Turnberry and that it has been defacto removed from the Open Rota because of an ignorant, classless bully.

Last edited:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Sock colour policy.
British weather/seasons
People who don’t pick up when they know they should.
People who talk to themselves at the driving range.
Senior ladies.
Slow play. (see above)
Non qualifiers.
Foursomes.
The necessary evil that is hollow coring.
Autumnal leaves.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dress codes that make no sense - Socks what difference does the colour make?
Held to ransom by the British winter - 4pm sunsets!!!!!
Hitting a perfect shot only to be lost inexplicably like Jimmy Hoffer
Arrogant golfers
The cost of golf
Stupid membership caveats
Slow play

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
People who throw empty coke/beer/water bottles into the woods. I don't know who does it, but it isn't just one person. Littering drives me mental. It was heavy when it was full, and you carried it. Now it is empty, it weighs nothing. Carry it to the next bin.

I have never played with anyone littering, but clearly, some people think it is ok.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Committees who dont realise that losing members annually is likely to be proportionate to the increase in subscriptions they apply. Not seeming to realise that a percentage of members dont play enough to warrant the higher price or that the increase takes the club membership fee closer to other, perceived better courses, in the area.

Brilliant. You have to wonder don't you....

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Training people about everything about golf. It's not just about hitting the ball.
Where to stand when someone is putting, YES I CAN STILL SEE YOU MY EYES SWIVEL YOU KNOW.
Where to leave golf bag on approaching green, LOOK FOR WHERE THE NEXT DAMN TEE IS !!!!!
Players who can't watch your ball, well to be honest about this they can't even see their own ball and when I'm playing them for money, I don't see it either so that's all good LOL.
Players who don't help look for your ball, annoys for a few holes then I stop looking for theirs. Does this make them realise they should be helping you? Does it doodahs!
The length of time it takes to instruct people how to score a stableford card. To be honest it took me ages.
Players hovvering around the green after they have holed out.

I'm sure there's a lot more.

As for actually playing the game. Nothing at all. It's the greatest sporting challenge ever invented. BAR NONE !

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Modern attitudes towards looking after the course.
eg

Players who have to have the trollies as close as possible to them at all times even if it means dragging them between the bunkers and the greens.

Trolleys on tees

Players ignoring 'no trolleys past this point' signs

Walking straight across area which have been newly turfed

Dragging trolleys straight across temp greens.

Not replacing divots, not raking bunkers.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Not replacing divots, not raking bunkers.
I think it is better not to replace divots but to have sand/seed bags and fill them in instead as birds pull them out again looking for worms. Shame that more clubs do not do this.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it is better not to replace divots but to have sand/seed bags and fill them in instead as birds pull them out again looking for worms. Shame that more clubs do not do this.

We supply divot bags but when you watch most days only about 1 person in 40 takes one with them.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yeah, but it's not fair to the guy behind who might hit into your divot, its the right thing to do, birds or not.
There won't be a divot if I have filled it in with sand/seed.