What condition do you expect your course to be in come March 29?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Walked my current course today with the dogs, 1st time I've done this since this lockdown started.
Not impressed..... Looks a mess tbh
No greens staff have ever been furloughed, no idea what they've been doing, but not much sign of anything that I've seen.

Was already thinking moving on
This just adds fuel to the fire

Zig

Visit site
Walked my current course today with the dogs, 1st time I've done this since this lockdown started.
Not impressed..... Looks a mess tbh
No greens staff have ever been furloughed, no idea what they've been doing, but not much sign of anything that I've seen.

Was already thinking moving on
This just adds fuel to the fire

Doesn't sound great. I do think though that while courses have been closed, we've had plenty of snow, and it's only this week temperatures have increased enough to get a bit of growth, so maybe we need to give green staff a bit of slack. Our HGK is fab, but he'll have spend most of the last few weeks trying to pump water off the course/out of the bunkers!

Different note: my brother has just moved to the toon... where would you recommend joining? Somewhere not too far away, without being Close House type money?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Doesn't sound great. I do think though that while courses have been closed, we've had plenty of snow, and it's only this week temperatures have increased enough to get a bit of growth, so maybe we need to give green staff a bit of slack. Our HGK is fab, but he'll have spend most of the last few weeks trying to pump water off the course/out of the bunkers!

Different note: my brother has just moved to the toon... where would you recommend joining? Somewhere not too far away, without being Close House type money?

Always try to give greens staff the benefit of the doubt, but tbh, a month ago we were told a tee box wall was vandalised, basically half dozen stones of the stone wall to be replaced, it was still like this today.
That's just 1 example of something that could have been done very easily by now.

Re.... Your brother
Dependant on which side/area of newcastle he is, then I'd throw you out some of my suggestions?

Except for Close house, and The Northumberland golf club, all others are under 1k.

Zig..... Send a PM if you want, if don't wanna hijack this thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Zig

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Walked mine today, beautiful day and the course was looking lovely. Still a little squidgy in places but nothing unexpected. Cannot wait to go back with my clubs.

IMG-20210228-140216729-HDR.jpg

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Walked my new place last week and being based on chalk it was bone dry. Greens were cored, dressed etc and most of the fairways had be scarified or spiked. Bunkers looked in a bad way as they effectively haven’t been raked in 3 months, but when speaking to the pro they have already ordered in sufficient sand to replace prior to opening.

For a course that has seen high foot traffic of walkers it’s held up awesomely, I purposely did not walk it today as I want to do so next weekend which will give me an idea of how much has been done in two weeks and what I’m likely to see when it opens

Which is...? :unsure:

D

Deleted member 25172

Walked some of my course today and was hoping it would’ve dried up a bit more since last weekend to be honest. We’re only one day with a decent amount of rain for it to be back in pure bog mode. ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a walk round my new place on Saturday. Greens still looking good. Fairways have been grown up a bit, obviously they'll trim them down before reopening. Some of the worst boggy/muddy bits look to have recovered quite well. The bunkers all have some kind of turquoisey-green stuff sprayed all over them, I don't know if that's weedkiller or something. A few teeboxes were having work done a while ago and they all look pretty much ready to use now. So looking good.

Mandofred

Visit site
We had quite a few of our sand traps out of play last year, said they couldn't get the sand. Evidently they have some now (from Aberdeen?) so it will take a readjustment of the way I play quite a few holes. 2nd hole has a longish (for me) shot to the green with a trap in front....for the last year I've just been smacking the 2nd shot not caring whether it went in or not. Guess I'm hoping that all of the bunkers will have at least a reasonable layer of sand in them....at least for this summer. We had an email from the club a couple of days ago saying they have started mowing most of the course....just a couple of boggy places. It's been dry since the snow melted a couple weeks ago, and no rain predicted for at least another week, between that and the grass slowly growing things should be pretty nice in another week.

Visit site
Walked the course yesterday, some great work done to tidy up areas which see heavy traffic, new paths/steps on a number of holes, relaid turf on worn areas. Crows have unfortunately ripped our 16th fairway up in a number of places.

Looks stunning though and I expect that in 4 weeks!

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Walked my new place last week and being based on chalk it was bone dry. Greens were cored, dressed etc and most of the fairways had be scarified or spiked. Bunkers looked in a bad way as they effectively haven’t been raked in 3 months, but when speaking to the pro they have already ordered in sufficient sand to replace prior to opening.

For a course that has seen high foot traffic of walkers it’s held up awesomely, I purposely did not walk it today as I want to do so next weekend which will give me an idea of how much has been done in two weeks and what I’m likely to see when it opens

What course are you a member at ?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Walked mine today, beautiful day and the course was looking lovely. Still a little squidgy in places but nothing unexpected. Cannot wait to go back with my clubs.

IMG-20210228-140216729-HDR.jpg

Went for a walk round there today. Looks a lot better than I was expecting. Tee boxes have healed up pretty well, greens all tined and sanded, some new paths going in, gorse cleared almost completely from the 17th, looks a completely different challenge now. A fair few trees cut and cleared, the fairways were still soft but a lot of grass growing and healing well. The bunkers were in need of some sand in parts but overall pleased with the conditions, looking forward to being able to play again soon. Oh, and the new halfway hut looks pretty good too.

Last edited:

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Went for a walk round there today. Looks a lot better than I was expecting. Tee boxes have healed up pretty well, greens all tined and sanded, some new paths going in, gorse cleared almost completely from the 17th, looks a completely different challenge now. A fair few trees cut and cleared, the fairways were still soft but a lot of grass growing and healing well. The bunkers were in need of some sand in parts but overall pleased with the conditions, looking forward to being able to play again soon. Oh, and the new halfway hut looks pretty good too.

Yup, agree with all that. Looking forward to playing the 17th now, might not lose a ball for a change, haha!

D

Deleted member 15344

Chance of finding it if you pull left :cool:, but no chance of stopping OB if it goes right :censored:
It’s a little 8 iron to the middle of the fairway then a wedge in ?

Or a little draw with a rescue to the front of the green ?

Was up there yesterday doing some bits and had a good chat with Paul , fairways being cut now , greens treated and starting to be hand mowered , some growing weather over the next 3 weeks will be perfect.

Mandofred

Visit site
Jeez, just when I thought the grass was growing nicely.....colder than heck again. 1.4C just now when I got back from my walk. Grass is NOT going to be happy.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our greenstaff have been partly furloughed since November so very little has been done on the course except for the greens being pencil tined and fertilized. We took delivery of a rough and fairway cutting machine today, Trimax Snake, so with the dry weather spell that we have had recently I am expecting great things come the next couple of weeks.