What condition do you expect your course to be in come March 29?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Areas of our track were very wet indeed last time I walked the course - two weeks ago. given the rain since then I doubt it'll be that much drier now. But being in most part on sand undersoil it drains quickly and well in most areas - so all being well - we should be OK.

And certainly looking forward to playing our 10th (with new extended fairway bunker and major tree removed from just off first cut rough); our 12th with new very challenging looking greenside bunkers; and off the 1st tee - the remodelled fairway bunker that is just in range of best tee shots of many of us and that is now serious risk/reward as risk is now that recovery from it a good distance may not be an option - and so for many GIR or NGIR would difficult.

Hopeful grass growth by end march will enable all that new work to be in play.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3432

Irrigation system has been upgraded, loads of bunkers have had revetted faces replaced, all that remains to be seen is what sort of Cumbrian weather we have between now and then. Judging on todays 50 mph wind and torrential rain we could still be in deep mid winter :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Don't care, still the best course within 100 miles of my house.

D

Deleted member 15344

i think the course will be in lovely condition provided we get favourable weather - nice and warm would be good

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
The team have been very busy and there’s been improvements all over the course illustrated in a recent email. Stairs, pathways, drainage and getting things ready for the new tees project on the 8th on top of all the regular maintenance. It’s going to be epic by the looks of things!

D

Deleted member 1147

We’ve done a lot of work the last couple of months; drainage and irrigation systems.
Hopefully the scars left from the diggers etc will be healed and the grass will be growing nicely, making the course look good.

All weather dependent of course.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm hopeful both courses will be looking good by the time i get a chance to play them in mid-April. They were extremely sodden when we closed for lockdown, so if the conditions stay relatively dry for the coming weeks, it should really be playable when we return. I'm personally not expecting Augutsa, but i'm sure many are....

D

Deleted member 21258

Take it as it comes, just let me get to the first tee with my clubs & dozen balls.

Raring to go

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

indeed, it could be a decentish course if someone put the investment in, it is owned by a gym that like having the course attached as a selling point, but are not interested in improving it. I would really like Glendale golf or someone similar to take over the lease and put some effort into it. It will never be a top course, but some basic improvements and investment could make it an enjoyable round

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It needs some good growing weather and it will be ok. Some of the muddier areas will be a bit sparse, unless they get over seeded now (doubtful).

D-S

Visit site
Just had a meeting with HGK and agreed that expectations will be very high. After Lockdown one, 6 weeks, members knew that essential maintenance only was allowed and that the opening happened almost overnight. They were also grateful that their Club had survived and renewals were far better than expected. Therefore they cut the course a bit of slack and were just grateful to be back out.
This time round we have only furloughed a couple of green staff, we have had 12 weeks to get on with projects. Members have been locked own for 6 weeks longer this time. All this leads to high expectations.
We are aiming to have the whole course absolutely pristine by 22nd March and we will then cast a really critical eye to ensure there is nothing we have overlooked and that the members get the best experience we can give them.
I just hope we get some decent weather (it was 14 degrees today and a great drying wind today).
It’ll be as good as we can possibly make it for the last weekend in March, we agreed that the members deserve it.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
indeed, it could be a decentish course if someone put the investment in, it is owned by a gym that like having the course attached as a selling point, but are not interested in improving it. I would really like Glendale golf or someone similar to take over the lease and put some effort into it. It will never be a top course, but some basic improvements and investment could make it an enjoyable round
Trust me, you don't.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have been getting weekly updates from the manager about all the work being done. I expect a few holes to have quite a different look as some tree removal has taken place (ash die back and planned removal of some willows that were getting to big)

With 5 weeks to go it probably just needs fairway and rough grass mowing. I would not expect the divots to be have been filled as it really is a bit early in the season for that job.