What bounce on wedge for pitch shots?

mazza78

Visit site
Hi
I’m after some advice please. Can anyone tell me if you need high or low bounce on wedges when pitch shots from 100 yards and under please?
I’ve got 50, 54 and 60 degree wedges so also curious what clubs people use for their pitch shots!?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For me 100 yards is a smooth PW (I'm a short hitter!). I have the Ping gorge 52 in their standard sole bounce which is a mid bounce and the 58 degree in wide sole which is a larger bounce around 12 degrees. My smooth 52 will go about 85 yards and my smooth 58 will go about 70 yards. However for me it's being able to manipulate my wedges and be confident enough to mix and match for different distances that aren't a full shot

hacker_al

Club Champion
Visit site
I think it depends on a number of factors. If I recall correctly your angle of attack and the type of course you play on can influence the requirement. For example if you tend to dig at the ball extra bounce may be your friend. Equally if you play off links type courses with lots of tight lies low bounce would be better.
I'm sure there are many other points to consider, others may be able to elaborate more on this.

What bounce do you have on your current wedges?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me 100 yards is a smooth PW (I'm a short hitter!). I have the Ping gorge 52 in their standard sole bounce which is a mid bounce and the 58 degree in wide sole which is a larger bounce around 12 degrees. My smooth 52 will go about 85 yards and my smooth 58 will go about 70 yards. However for me it's being able to manipulate my wedges and be confident enough to mix and match for different distances that aren't a full shot

About the same for me, I got told never to go full out with a wedge shot so I generally use a 3/4 swing with wedges.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
It depends on alot of things, angle of attack, what are the ground conditions you play mostly, is the wedge use for standard pitch shots or do you like to play a variety of shots with the face open, heel up in the air, shaft leaning forward. Grind is just as important as bounce on a wedge. I use a 47 with a full grind and standard bounce, my 52 is the same but my 58 has a touch more bounce and a c grind. Reason for the c grind is I use the 58 in alot of different places, it allows the wedges leading edge to sit closer to the ground when opening the face etc.
If you are relatively new to golf I wouldn't worry too much about it I'd just get a 56 wedge with standard bounce and learn to play different shots with it. Once you get pretty efficient at playing shots maybe worry about different bounces etc.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bounce is all about what are the conditions you are hitting from and what kind of swinger you are.

soft mushy ground/lots of grass high bounce is you friend.

Very tight grass or bare lie and low bounce is your friend.

If you are a digger the suggested bounce is high and if you are a sweeper the suggested bounce is medium to low.

I carry one wedge with low bounce 52/5, one with high 56/12 and one medium 60/8

When I carried 50 and 54 the 50 was lowish bounce and the 54 high.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does anyone have multiple wedges with the same loft? I don't mean in the bag at the same time, but do you bring your 54 high when you play a soft parkland, but your 54 low when playing hardpacked links?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Does anyone have multiple wedges with the same loft? I don't mean in the bag at the same time, but do you bring your 54 high when you play a soft parkland, but your 54 low when playing hardpacked links?
I have a 58 in the wide sole which is my main club but I have it in the thin sole too which is a lower bounce when the conditions are firm or I am playing a links or heathland course where the lies are tighter

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH its what ever suites your swing pointless having low bounce if you have a steep digging swing.

I play a tight links and have 52/10 and 58/14 in my wedges and have no issues off a tight lie

D

Deleted member 21258

I am a bit of a digger and not sure what bounce I have on the standard set of clubs(7 iron to SW), but lob wedge is low bounce. I play a lot of SW shots which must have high bounce as it a standard SW from 10-80 yards.

Cant say I have noticed any great difference between my shots with say 9 iron vs PW vs SW vs LW setup and with bounce helping. Much more affected by my poor strike(thin, slightly fats, toe etc). I can hit all of the bad shots with both high and low bounce, also not notice much difference when playing different types of courses. The LW is far better on very high short shot over say a greenside bunker due to the low bounce and allowing me to open up the clubface and slide it under the ball better.

Think bounce is personally over stated like custom fitting.:sneaky:

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site

I'd be interested in hearing this too.
I have a MD4 52 deg 10 bounce and struggled (mentally) to get the leading edge of the club sufficiently low enough to get a good strike. Bought a Vokey 52 degree with 8 bounce and reckon it's the same!
Saw my pro and he helped with set up and swing to get a good strike with both.
I wonder if a mid/high handicapper can tell a few degrees difference in bounce of the same club.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
My wedges are 52/7, 56/12, 60/5.

I like this combo so I use my 56/12 as a S/W and for fluffy lies, my 52/7 is a good G/W for my 3/4 or full shots into the green from the fairway and I use it to bump and run also when I haven't got to go over anything, and my 60/5 is for flop shots and tight lies.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
as others say, it's dependent on the lie that you play from most frequently and how you deliver the club to the ball. Have you ever had a wedge fitting? I'm sure that a good fitter would provide the guidance that you need.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone have multiple wedges with the same loft? I don't mean in the bag at the same time, but do you bring your 54 high when you play a soft parkland, but your 54 low when playing hard packed links?

yes

I have a variety of 52s and 54s

Most extreme one I have has minus one degree bounce and an ultra narrow sole. Designed by Tom Watson for links golf.

Visit site
Forgetting about PW I not have 2. 50&55° I mostly use my 50 for virtually any shot including lob shots as well, The 55 is for bunkers only. I've got no idea what the bounce is on mine as it was a custom grind for me. But I've spent a lot of time working just on that club and learn how to play different shots.

But today at Woburn it's been a revelation with the short game class and a different technique that has changed the way I look at playing Shots with different releases of the club head, grip pressures, etc.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Someone on YouTube did a ‘what’s in the bag’ with Rory and that is where I realised that good players have several 58s to pick from depending on the course.

I bought a 60 on eBay last year and only just learned to play it because the bounce is different to my other clubs. Have to play it more upright and sweep more, not coming down on the ball that much.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Links = need low bounce is a complete fallacy.

Bounce can help you clip the ball safely off the tight links turf if you know how to use it.

Wolf

Visit site
I carry a 50°/6°, 54°/8°& 60°/10°but don't tend to think of Wedges as clubs for certain distance, I'm more of what I feel the individual shot and conditions need on that day.

If say a full shot of around 115yards it's a 50°. But then I could just as easily use a 50° down to about 50/60 yards depending on the lie and shot want to play. Likewise same for my 54° could use it any distance up to 100yards.

My 60° barely comes out of the bag unless I need some serious height on the ball, I never use it for a full shot though, and when I get around to changing my Wedges I'll ditch it for a 58°.