Wedge Bounce

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don’t know what grind is…think I know what bounce is…but bounce and grind sounds like something I should (or rather shouldn’t) do on the dance floor.

I don’t think all manufacturers market different grinds on wedges so many just buy a wedge and that’s that, but basically it’s how much of the sole of the club is ground away to enable the club to be opened without raising the leading edge too much. Mostly on the back of the sole but can also be the heel. That’s how I understand it anyway.

I don’t know nothin about no dance floors ???

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don’t think all manufacturers market different grinds on wedges so many just buy a wedge and that’s that, but basically it’s how much of the sole of the club is ground away to enable the club to be opened without raising the leading edge too much. Mostly on the back of the sole but can also be the heel. That’s how I understand it anyway.

I don’t know nothin about no dance floors ???
I think bounce and grind could be related to twerking…as in I really twerked that wedge shot.?

TigerBear

Visit site
My wedges.

Titleist SM7 50° 12F

Titleist SM7 54° 08M

Titleist SM7 58° 08M

I'd say that's fairly neutral - trouble is in England you can go from playing a bone dry course in July to a totally saturated one in January :/

I'd say so mate, I'm quite similar as well but my current MD5s favour a links / tight lie summer fairway.

For that reason I kept my old Titleist 60 12D wedge for those wet saturated days / parkland courses.

Jason.H

Visit site
I have Smithworks wedges in gunmetal and been really impressed after 6 months. 48,52 and 58. I’ve found them good in all conditions.

58 has 11 bounce
52 has 8
48 has 8

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
One of the best wedge players ever was Seve Ballesteros.
Does anyone know what bounce his wedges were. Does anyone care? Did he?

For my last game (Saturday) my wedges were Ping 46, 52 and Ram 64. I've no idea of the bounce measurement on them. I've had them a long time and feel I know how to play them.
At my BiL's at christmas I recovered the set of clubs I gave to him when I quit 15 years ago. He's never used them. They included a Ram Wizard 64° wedge and a Ram Demon chipper. No wonder I was a confused and frustrated golfer.
Having said that, they've both gone in the bag for Saturday. ?

Mike79

Visit site
Still playing an old (2006!) set of Vokey SM wedges... 52.08 / 56.12 / 60.08

Like the set up, but if buying new I would probably up the bounce on the 52 as the turf on my course varies so much between summer and winter.

tomshanks

Hacker
Visit site

Like the set up, but if buying new I would probably up the bounce on the 52 as the turf on my course varies so much between summer and winter.

I have a 56.14 which I add into my bag for the winter months. The extra bounce really helps in the current claggy conditions. I'd like to add a 52.14 if such a thing exists, highest I've seen is 52.12 which would probably be more than enough

sunshine

Visit site
I have low bounce on my 58 and high bounce on my 54. Gives me the flexibility to play different shots from different lies.

Important for me to have lower bounce on my most lofted wedge to play chip shots from tight lies in summer when I've short-sided myself again.

TigerBear

Visit site

What's your thinking behind the lower bounce on your 60 wedge Mike?

Mike79

Visit site
I like that it can be opened up for the crowd pleasing flop shot or kept square for something near from around the green. Don't really use it in a bunker (unless its right at the face etc) as use my 56 as a SW. The 60 is just a versatile LW.

Also, cos when I bought them I didn't know anything about bounce; I just bought wedges based on the loft and have stuck with them since.

If I change my wedges this year, I am likely to go.... 52.12F / 56.12D / 60.08M

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have Smithworks wedges in gunmetal and been really impressed after 6 months. 48,52 and 58. I’ve found them good in all conditions.

58 has 11 bounce
52 has 8
48 has 8

I had a Smithworks 58 lob wedge. Lovely club but I feel.the face/grooves wore far too quickly. Binned it after 11 months.

Smoj

Visit site
I've never been confident to use my wedges for getting up and down, was always a bump and run, until the last 2 rounds where I used the rounds to only use wedges anything under 150 yards to the green to get a bit of confidence in using them, and now my 50 degree is an absolute weapon in these winter conditions, and not as confident with the 58 but getting better.

anyways my bounces are
vokey
sm5 50.12 f grind
sm5 54.14 f grind
sm7 58.10 s grind

Jason.H

Visit site
I had a Smithworks 58 lob wedge. Lovely club but I feel.the face/grooves wore far too quickly. Binned it after 11 months.

Mine are showing wear in the centre thankfully, kind of hoping it’s just the gunmetal colour wearing rather than groove wear. Was you’re 58 worn due to bunker use?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Mine are showing wear in the centre thankfully, kind of hoping it’s just the gunmetal colour wearing rather than groove wear. Was you’re 58 worn due to bunker use?

It was my bunker "go to" club. I liked it alot to be honest and did seriously consider going to the Smithworks Copper 54 & 58 but ultimately the niggling doubt on face wear lead me to go with another brand.