Wedge Bounce

TigerBear

Visit site
What have we got in the bag?

I got fitted and have went for Callaway Jaws 50, 56 and 60 degree clubs.

For bounce I went for 8 degrees on my 50, and 10 degrees for my 56 and 60.

Curious, does anyone consider bounce or not fussed and just take off the shelf as it comes?

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
One of the best wedge players ever was Seve Ballesteros.
Does anyone know what bounce his wedges were. Does anyone care? Did he?

For my last game (Saturday) my wedges were Ping 46, 52 and Ram 64. I've no idea of the bounce measurement on them. I've had them a long time and feel I know how to play them.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bounce is like the softness of balls and stiffness of shafts - all white man's magic which no-one really understands but they claim to know about it to sound knowledgeable :cool::cool::cool:

Platypus

Visit site
I've got the Cleveland CBX2 wedges in 50, 54 & 58 degrees
I chose the lofts to get decent gapping and the bounce was just what came as standard (11, 12, 10 degrees respectively).
Cleveland state the bounce and the sole grinds were chosen to give the best results for the typical shot types for each club.
I'm sure there is a lot more that could be done around the various bounce and sole options to suit different lies, turf types, ground states, bunker sand types, etc., but I don't have the game to make this sort of tweaking give a noticeable difference.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't remember what bounce mine are, and they were all bought second hand so I certainly didn't consider the bounce when I bought them. I only bought them for what loft they are. Off the top of my head I think the 46 and the 50 degrees are probably 8 or 10 bounce, the 56 degree is like 14 bounce. My 60 is a SureOut so obviously it has all the bounce in the world.

D

Deleted member 23270

I was fitted for my Vokeys, tried all sorts of loft/bounce combos. Definitely something worth considering especially for mid/lower handicappers that have an element of control over their short games. Also depends on the type of course you are playing.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Kirkland wedges in the bag

60 - 8
56 - 10
52 - 10

Standard bounce setup obviously but they work great at my club.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mizuno T7 50 - 7
Mizuno T7 55 - 8
Vokey 62 - 8

I grew up with lower bounce wedges and when I have used higher bounce wedges I always feel like I risk thinning them, especially off of harder turf / sand.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My 54 is 12; my 58 is 10. I use the 54 for most bunker shots; 58 if ball is close to a high face or flag is close to bunker. I can really feel the difference in the bounce…love the feel of the 54 through the sand, but I think I only feel this difference having understood what bounce is and how it works - especially out of sand; then importantly how I should play a bunker shot to make the bounce work for me.

I admit to struggling with using the difference amounts of bounce for other than bunker shots, as I can’t easily envisage the club head going under the ball in grass as it does in sand…longer fairway grass Yes…just about. Tight lies….Hmmm.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My 54 is 12; my 58 is 10. I use the 54 for most bunker shots; 58 if ball is close to a high face or flag is close to bunker. I can really feel the difference in the bounce…love the feel of the 54 through the sand, but I think I only feel this difference having understood what bounce is and how it works - especially out of sand; then importantly how I should play a bunker shot to make the bounce work for me.

I admit to struggling with using the difference amounts of bounce for other than bunker shots, as I can’t easily envisage the club head going under the ball in grass as it does in sand…longer fairway grass Yes…just about. Tight lies….Hmmm.

For balls on tighter turf, you must envision the bottom on the club working as a skid plate. The bounce angle prevents the club from digging and allows the club to slide into the ball.
Picture the club head bottoming out half an inch or so BEFORE the ball. Like an intentional fat for want of a better description. The club slides into the ball and pops it up.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I switched a few years from lower bounce, I had 50/6 and 56/10 . As my swing got a bit more upright and steeper, less arms, I found I was facing my wedges from time to time. Also the sand in our bunkers got softer. I was advised to try more bounce. I did and its definitely helped. I now have 50/9 and 58/14. I only carry 13 clubs.

sjw

Visit site
For balls on tighter turf, you must envision the bottom on the club working as a skid plate. The bounce angle prevents the club from digging and allows the club to slide into the ball.
Picture the club head bottoming out half an inch or so BEFORE the ball. Like an intentional fat for want of a better description. The club slides into the ball and pops it up.

The bounce is there to help you, not to deliberately use

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What have we got in the bag?

I got fitted and have went for Callaway Jaws 50, 56 and 60 degree clubs.

For bounce I went for 8 degrees on my 50, and 10 degrees for my 56 and 60.

Curious, does anyone consider bounce or not fussed and just take off the shelf as it comes?

I went with how things felt balanced against what the fitter said would benefit me more. However, my wedge game has changed so due a new set and I'm looking forward to what comes out.

Last edited: