Wedge Bounce

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Having had a Titleist fitting day at our club a few years ago, I was looking at the different bounces and my pro at the time grabbed 4 different wedges, scooted me down to the practice bunker and let me go with my choice first, then worked me through the others until we got to his choice. That resulted in the best & most consistent shots, and consequently I've gone for higher bounce wedges ever since.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I switched a few years from lower bounce, I had 50/6 and 56/10 . As my swing got a bit more upright and steeper, less arms, I found I was facing my wedges from time to time. Also the sand in our bunkers got softer. I was advised to try more bounce. I did and its definitely helped. I now have 50/9 and 58/14. I only carry 13 clubs.
Also only carry 13. My pro advising me when we were purchasing a new set for me said 13 was all I needed (inc 4 wedges) leaving a spare slot if I found myself with a distance gap or ongoing issue with a specific shot. At the moment my only issue is the distance gap between my 5i and 4h. But I’m working on improving my 5i distance and can throttle back 4h. No need for any more wedges. Def don’t need anything with more loft than my 58/10.

The improvement in my bunker play with my 54/12 since I understood what bounce can do for me, and how I should use it, has been significant.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not according to Padraig Harrington on his YT channel

Harry Paddington certainly knows what he’s talking about far more than any of us, but he must be talking about a specific shot rather than a catch-all comment.

Never deliberately using the bounce means trying to pick bunker shots clean without taking sand, and never playing a bunker type shot from thick rough around the green.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I envy all the people that bounce doesn’t matter to - and especially grind.

I consider myself ok with wedges, but the 60-08 m-grind vokey I had was an accident waiting to happen in my hands!

I now have a 52-12 s grind and a 58-12 d grind.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I consider myself ok with wedges, but the 60-08 m-grind vokey I had was an accident waiting to happen in my hands!

Years ago I bought an old 60-4 vokey. Would be the L grind now. The thing was an excavator in my hands at the time.

I didnt have the skills or knowledge then to swing shallow. I was a steep digging machine and that wedge was a disaster waiting to happen in soft conditions.

I moved to an norman drew 60-8. More bounce, decent sole. Cofindence grew. Learned how to use the bounce.

Finally moved to a vokey k 60-11 which was and still is my favourite wedge. Absolute cheat stick.

Recently bought the low bounce version of this k grind which has 6 degrees. Chunked a couple which would never happen with the high bounce version but it's still in my bag atm.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have nine wedges with different bounce and grinds and select according to conditions.

I was once deeply embarrassed turning up to play a decent course with an S grind when I realised I should have been using a T with 2 degrees less bounce on my 56.
Nearly have up the game when I realised my faux pas.
My host was very considerate and didn't mention it but was clearly shocked.

TigerBear

Visit site
Really interesting to see the dichotomy of views.

It was during a lesson with my club pro who broke it down and explained it clearly to me after seeing a very wide soled, ridiculously high bounce PW that was not suited to my swing or course.

Once you know even just the basics of what degree of bounce is more suited to your swing/game you'll instantly see benefits.

As my coach said, not playing the right bounce in your wedges is like not knowing your distances for your irons.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Also only carry 13. My pro advising me when we were purchasing a new set for me said 13 was all I needed (inc 4 wedges) leaving a spare slot if I found myself with a distance gap or ongoing issue with a specific shot. At the moment my only issue is the distance gap between my 5i and 4h. But I’m working on improving my 5i distance and can throttle back 4h. No need for any more wedges. Def don’t need anything with more loft than my 58/10.

The improvement in my bunker play with my 54/12 since I understood what bounce can do for me, and how I should use it, has been significant.
More bounce in the SW has made the biggest difference, our sand is very soft in the bunkers. Increasing the bounce has revolutionised my bunker play.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
My wedges.

Titleist SM7 50° 12F

Titleist SM7 54° 08M

Titleist SM7 58° 08M

I'd say that's fairly neutral - trouble is in England you can go from playing a bone dry course in July to a totally saturated one in January :/

Mandofred

Visit site
My wedges.

Titleist SM7 50° 12F

Titleist SM7 54° 08M

Titleist SM7 58° 08M

I'd say that's fairly neutral - trouble is in England you can go from playing a bone dry course in July to a totally saturated one in January :/
The problem I'm having at the moment is trying to hit a floppy shot with my 60....off of a bare muddy lie. Very hit and miss. A little grass under the ball and I'm fine.....a hard dry bare lie I'm fine.....soft, sucky, gooey mud is a lot harder for me. I just need to stop trying at this time of the year and get better at chip&rolls.

Jason.H

Visit site
The problem I'm having at the moment is trying to hit a floppy shot with my 60....off of a bare muddy lie. Very hit and miss. A little grass under the ball and I'm fine.....a hard dry bare lie I'm fine.....soft, sucky, gooey mud is a lot harder for me. I just need to stop trying at this time of the year and get better at chip&rolls.

When the ground gets soft even bounce digs. You could try opening your sand wedge which will have a lot more bounce

Mandofred

Visit site
When the ground gets soft even bounce digs. You could try opening your sand wedge which will have a lot more bounce
Going to the carry bag in the morning...only 8 clubs. Dropping the 60 wedge for now. Just need to get better on chip&roll....I've always been a floppy type of chipper......live and die by the flop.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Don’t know what grind is…think I know what bounce is…but bounce and grind sounds like something I should (or rather shouldn’t) do on the dance floor.