What benefit does shiny new stuff bring?

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A question brought about based on my last two golf purchases, a dozen lake balls and a Palm Springs Visa 5 wood for £20. I've no doubt that new Pro V1's and a Ping fairway wood are better, but I'm fairly new to the game and really any club will do me for now, and if I'm going to lose half a dozen balls per round I might as well make them cheap ones.

I can imagine it's easy to pick when to start buying better balls (i.e. I can afford to buy them when I rarely lose one per round) but at what point will I know when it's time to put the discount clubs away and buy the good quality clubs? And what benefit would I expect to see from the 'better' clubs?

miniTIGER95

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sometimes it's not expensive stuff which is best for you, i've used countless pro V1's, Nike one's etc but my ball of choice for months has been Wilson staff Reds. And the best club i ever got was a yonex second hand 7 wood from nevada bobs, for a massive cut price. Be smart search around a bit and look at the second hand clubs, save so much money. Oh and them yonex irons you have are good they will do you for a while :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
For me, one of the main benefits is it actually makes me want to get out there and play. For example, if I've been having a rough time on the course for a while I find some new kit reinvigorates my game and doesn't come with any hangups.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't like to swap around my clubs. I've thought long and hard about my setup. I take my time buying it to get it right
But what I do like is new golf gloves, nothing beats that feeling a fresh glove every couple of weeks. I must buy 5ish gloves a month. (I have a stupid habit of losing them too)

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's all about confidence. My fairways are Callaway Diablo Tours and they are a very good club far easier for me to hit off the ground than my previous Nike VR Pro's which cost substantially more money however if you put me on the spot and asked me to choose one fairway wood to keep in the bag it would be my MD Superstrong F7 fairway wood which cost £40 new off ebay.

Although it only cost £40 I would put it up there with the Nike and Callaway in terms of performance and quality. It is without a doubt one of the best clubs I've ever owned.

Personally I wouldn't use lake balls as there are too many good offers on new balls if you look about. The Pinnacle Gold Precision is one of the most underated balls on the market at £10 for 15 balls. It has good feel around the greens and does not lack for distance.

You don't always have to pay a premium for good clubs or equipment and as most of us have found it's isn't so much the clubs that make the difference it is the way you swing them.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Having just bought new shinys, I can answer this. They make me happy.

They won't lower my handicap, enable me to play new and exciting shots, go any further, spin more, or any thing else. They will just look very shiny in my bag. Until they get battered.

Then I'll buy another set.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Some Nike pro combo irons, and a nice new h2no bag to put them in. Bag is huge. Irons are being regripped and lengthened, so I get them Wednesday, assuming they can do the lie angles in real time. They are very pretty. Way too nice to use.

And the hozels are completely unmarked.

So far.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It brings me the stress of keeping them looking shiny LOL very muddy today and RBZ's first round. Clean, Cleann... Cleannnnnnn!!!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having just bought new shinys, I can answer this. They make me happy.

They won't lower my handicap, enable me to play new and exciting shots, go any further, spin more, or any thing else. They will just look very shiny in my bag. Until they get battered.

Then I'll buy another set.

Great answer Murph, sums it up for me as well

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It brings me the stress of keeping them looking shiny LOL very muddy today and RBZ's first round. Clean, Cleann... Cleannnnnnn!!!

I've cleaned my AP2s every week since I got them in January. I've probably only cleaned every other set I've had twice a year at the very most. Mrs H thinks I'm in love with them...

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some Nike pro combo irons, and a nice new h2no bag to put them in. Bag is huge. Irons are being regripped and lengthened, so I get them Wednesday, assuming they can do the lie angles in real time. They are very pretty. Way too nice to use.

And the hozels are completely unmarked.

So far.

Lovely aren't they :)

You look down at them and think "yep, that's what a golf club should look like". Small heads, thin topline and not a lot of offset.

Plus they're VERY shiny. Was a little upset to lose a chunk out of my 8 iron earlier, but they're there to be hit.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Lovely aren't they :)

You look down at them and think "yep, that's what a golf club should look like". Small heads, thin topline and not a lot of offset.

Plus they're VERY shiny. Was a little upset to lose a chunk out of my 8 iron earlier, but they're there to be hit.

The 4i is stupid small. But yes, they really do look nice. I've not even hit one yet. Bought them on spec, because they look nice. Figured if I could hack it round with my zb's then the nikes would be similar, or better. Need them lengthened any way, so not sure I would get a true picture til they are sorted. Getting blue multi compounds on them. Didn't like the original grips. They will look great hanging on my garage wall. Way too nice to play with.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've just got myself some Mizuno MP-32 irons, they are very shiney and in excellent nick considering they are forged.

They play as good as they look too.

I'm off to oil them...... Again :O

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having bought new stuff last year it helped my game a little because I got fitted (and found I am fortunate enough to be standard length and lie!). I think though you should always aim for quality. This doesn't mean it has to be costly though. I had bought some lower quality stuff and would have been better burning the cash because it had no resale value and was crap.

Keep an eye on second hand gear as you can get some bargains and brands such as MD will give you good quality at a low price point. I got my hybrids for £99 for 3 and I love them. Then I got my Cobra 12* driver from a forum member and now have a quality piece of gear with more forgiveness for less than £40. I would never have considered trying the increased loft if I'd had to pay a higher price.