What am I doing wrong? (Videos uploaded)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm no expert so feel free to ignore, but if you look at your head in relation to the trees in the background you can see it drops by about 8 inches on the backswing. I don't think that's supposed to happen. I think as a result of that you swing a fraction over the top rather than shallowing the club, because if you did shallow it it would hit the ground.

(Again, with the disclaimer that I could easily be wrong.)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Keep these videos for later years when your flexibility disappears :LOL:. To take the club back that far, left arm kept straight, is a thing of wonder to me.

Experts will come along shortly but I am sure @Orikoru is on the right track. That's a mighty big dip you take.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
It looks like the dipping movement is caused by the bending of my left knee?

I have seen a lot of golfers who lift their left heel up so they are on their toes.

Would you suggest this may counter the dip in head / shoulder movement?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again, no swing expert, but it looks like the lower half is so static. The right hand side only moves as it has to as it is being pulled back by the shoulders. Weight transfer seems non-existent. I always have a feeling that the pressure moves to my right heel, and then to my left toe during the swing.

Your video looks like you pull the club back with the arms/shoulders, but there is no shift in pressure. As you keep pulling the club back, your left shoulder has virtually nowhere to go aside from downwards to aid the club going up.

There will be simpler ways of putting it, but that pressure and use of the ground is something I’d want to look at.

The issue with posting videos is you will get a lot of untrained folks giving advice. Just go and see a Pro and take a look. If you can find someone with a pressure mat, even better

Lee762

Visit site
Took a couple of videos yesterday in regards to my swing.

PP’s have noticed I dip my left shoulder a lot with my driver. My bad shot is a slice. What am I doing wrong here in these videos

https://youtube.com/shorts/IDeKlaxr3Zs?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/AJCXedXPKGU?feature=share

Like all of the other replies, I am not expert. I had a similar issue to you in that I took the club back too far inside and as a result I came over the top.

Try taking the club back so that when it reaches parallel to the ground it is in line with your toe line. Also your clubface looks very open at the top of the swing which maybe a grip issue

RRidges

Visit site
Go see a Pro!
But a couple of things spring to my untrained mind.
You seem to have you feet too far apart, which likely restricts your backswing, so it's all arms - and that dip of the shoulders.
Your arms should both bend in the backswing too. Your straight left arm generates a slap as opposed a swing, so a slice is the likely consequence.
As per the 1st line...A discussion and lessons with a Pro is the best way to sort it out.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Having played with you, I know that you hit your driver a tremendous distance with that swing. Timing and rhythm is excellent for someone relatively new to the game.
Your swing with a mid-iron did not seem to have the head-dipping.
You seem to accept that the head-dipping is wrong. Don't worry too much about it.
If you want to develop a driver-swing without the head-dipping, try swinging a driver in the garden in front of a window that gives a good reflection.
Look straight ahead at your reflection while doing some swings.
You should then naturally want to keep your head at the same height during the backswing.
The backswing will probably become a bit less flat as a result.
Doing this in the garden without hitting balls is a good way to develop a swing that becomes to feel like your natural swing rather than having to consciously think about it while hitting balls.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your grip is very (too?) strong and the ball is a little far back in your stance for driver. I would say you’re also stood too upright and straight at address to start with and it makes the dip look worse than it is.

It’s just the basics of Grip, Stance and Posture that a pro will adjust. Some of them might suggest bending more from the waist and getting into more a reverse K position in your driver setup. I’ve been on that same journey.

If I was at the range looking at that video of myself I’d move the ball forward and weaken the left hand so you see fewer knuckles.

Also - relax. You look far too tense, especially in the wrists.

I don’t think your far from having a really enviable swing if you can figure out how to control it.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Thanks for the reply’s. Definitely some interesting stuff said in here I can work on at home / range.

I am booked in with a pro in 2 weeks and I’ll be sure to be loaded with questions instead of just listening. My next lesson will be much more valuable for sure because I am beginning to understand the game / my swing a lot more now.

Just looked back at my swing from a year ago so there’s definitely been some promising changes ?

https://youtube.com/shorts/jf_w7lNVeFE?feature=share

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, huge improvement in strike ?

I wouldn’t go in to the pro with too many questions. Let them look at your setup basics. Show them that video you took of your current swing and don’t go to them with an experimental or temporary swing.

For the sake of this discussion though. Here’s what I was talking about, look at how you’re setup in comparison with Rory - ball position, left side, arm and grip in particular. You could do a lot worse than trying to emulate this as a starting position for driver. If you then worked on your lower body rotation you could, ahem, absolutely bomb it. ?

maxresdefault.jpg

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Would a strong grip not produce a hook & /or pull?

If you look at his grip at address, would you say it's strong?
If it is strong, the clubface would be closed at the top which it is.
But if his bad shot is a slice, he must be swinging out to in with an open face which means he's holding off the release too much.
His subconscious knows if he releases the club normally with that swing path, it would certainly go left so he doesn't release the club properly.
Weaken the grip, watch the first few balls fly right then learn to release the club properly.
The swing path isn't too bad so worst case scenario would be a power fade.