Wellshurst - any views

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

Did a quick search but last post is about 10 years ago.

Any more recent players at wellshurst golf club in East Sussex?

For location reasons it's a club that me and a mate are considering for membership for next year
Cheers

Adam

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In my view it is an average course that gets really soggy in the winter and like concrete in the summer. Friendly enough place though.

D

Deleted member 18121

where are you and what level are you at

I'm just outside Hastings. My regular PP is in crowborough.... So we want somewhere in between us. Dale hill is another option but that's gone downhill....

I play off 12 and my pp 14

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm just outside Hastings. My regular PP is in crowborough.... So we want somewhere in between us. Dale hill is another option but that's gone downhill....

I play off 12 and my pp 14

Piltdown? East Sussex National?? Lamberhurst? Nevill (Tunbridge Wells).
Seriously, Wellshurst is a joke. It's a quagmire during the winter months, and during the summer it's bone hard. The fairways are like football pitches. I played it quite a few times after it first opened and was disappointed every time.
Visit the website and view the video flybys of the holes, (ideally in full screen mode), and pay particular attention to the state of the bunkering, greens and fringes/aprons. And they are supposed to show the course in it's best light....
If Dustin Johnson invited me there for 18 holes and lunch, I'd skip the golf.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Piltdown? East Sussex National?? Lamberhurst? Nevill (Tunbridge Wells).
Seriously, Wellshurst is a joke. It's a quagmire during the winter months, and during the summer it's bone hard. The fairways are like football pitches. I played it quite a few times after it first opened and was disappointed every time.
Visit the website and view the video flybys of the holes, (ideally in full screen mode), and pay particular attention to the state of the bunkering, greens and fringes/aprons. And they are supposed to show the course in it's best light....
If Dustin Johnson invited me there for 18 holes and lunch, I'd skip the golf.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think Nevill would be too far north from Hastings. Dale Hill is geographically good, Lamberhurst also. I like Lamberhurst, was a member there for a number of years, but it's not to everyone's tastes with all the dog legs and a fair bit of undulation.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Never been there. just looked at the fly-bys.... as Smiffy it doesn't look in great condition when they did them, not sure how early in the year that was, but trees are in full leaf, so it isn't February! Weird how some of the 150 posts are in the middle of the fairway, not the sides. Absence of fairway bunkering and you can see the muddy bits and patchy fairways from the air, must be much worse close up.

BUT - there's some decent shaping to the holes, I only saw the front 9 which was nicely tree lined, they even do a 9 month membership missing worst of the winter and the green fee is only £22.

I've no idea, but maybe for that money it is ok if you are not looking for a top venue? I wonder how popular it is?

You've got Cooden Beach down the road of course...... but that is nearly double the price... which some folk might not be able manage to afford! (are the natives friendly? :ROFLMAO:)

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You can get "fairways" membership at Cooden, which is considerably cheaper. I'm considering doing it again myself. I haven't been to Wellshurst for donkeys years, those trees certainly weren't there the last time I went. But whilst trees are nice, they don't a golf course make... ???

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can get "fairways" membership at Cooden, which is considerably cheaper. I'm considering doing it again myself. I haven't been to Wellshurst for donkeys years, those trees certainly weren't there the last time I went. But whilst trees are nice, they don't a golf course make... ???

Watch out for splinters when you get off that fence, Smiffy....

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wellshurst is okay but not great for your level - I think you’d be disappointed. I’m a member at East Sussex National and will happily take you round as guests once restrictions are lifted?

D

Deleted member 18121

Wellshurst is okay but not great for your level - I think you’d be disappointed. I’m a member at East Sussex National and will happily take you round as guests once restrictions are lifted?

That's really kind. I played the west course in August and loved it... Think I played to 9 that day which helps.

The only thing that I'm keeping in consideration is that I we'll (my pp and I) probably only play together twice a month, maybe 3 as young families and work don't allow a lot of time.

The reason for joining somewhere is so we can get early morning weekend golf without having to worry about members only course issues...... So the price at wellshurst was appealing. We used to be members at hever and played a lot so didn't mind the higher fees.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's really kind. I played the west course in August and loved it... Think I played to 9 that day which helps.

The only thing that I'm keeping in consideration is that I we'll (my pp and I) probably only play together twice a month, maybe 3 as young families and work don't allow a lot of time.

The reason for joining somewhere is so we can get early morning weekend golf without having to worry about members only course issues...... So the price at wellshurst was appealing. We used to be members at hever and played a lot so didn't mind the higher fees.

The travel time to East Sussex National can't be much different for you to just going up to Crowborough Beacon, can it? Crowborough Beacon does a county membership and a flexible membership, but I'm sure given your friend lives there you've already ruled it out.

Seaford probably also a similar travel time, but geographically doesn't make sense.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Years since I played Wellhurst and can’t remember to much about it (not a good sign) would Sedelscome be a consideration? never heard it mentioned on here , what I remember about that course was it was one of the hardest in the area

D

Deleted member 18121

No worries. I’m in the same situation re limited playing options due to work and family. So I’m on their flexi membership - worth having a look.

You mind me asking what the cost is? Or is it available on the web?