Wellshurst - any views

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Years since I played Wellhurst and can’t remember to much about it (not a good sign) would Sedelscome be a consideration? never heard it mentioned on here , what I remember about that course was it was one of the hardest in the area

I'm a member at sedlescombe now and have been for 3 years. It's 8 minutes from me and an hour from my mate...... Hence why I'm looking for somewhere roughly 30 minutes from us both

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Is Dale Hill a definite no?

It definitely seems like the obvious choice. I'm in TW and if I was going to look for somewhere on the Crowborough-Hastings routes it'd be my first thought along with Lamberhurst. With ESN close behind.

Adam mentions it's gone downhill which intrigues me - I've played both courses many times albeit not since they had the fairways decimated on the Woosnam, I've been reliably informed they got it sorted and it was great over the summer. Not sure how either play over the winter, but I'd assume pretty reasonably.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It definitely seems like the obvious choice. I'm in TW and if I was going to look for somewhere on the Crowborough-Hastings routes it'd be my first thought along with Lamberhurst. With ESN close behind.

Adam mentions it's gone downhill which intrigues me - I've played both courses many times albeit not since they had the fairways decimated on the Woosnam, I've been reliably informed they got it sorted and it was great over the summer. Not sure how either play over the winter, but I'd assume pretty reasonably.

The other thing Dale Hill offers is flexibility, which Lamberhurst doesn't.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Dale Hill a couple of months ago - 6 weeks maybe - and while the set up is a bit "corporate" the course itself was in decent enough condition. Enjoyed the Old course more than the Woosnam

D

Deleted member 18121

Is Dale Hill a definite no?

Not at all, just put off by reports of awful fairways and greens.... But if what's above is true and it's improved then I will have to revisit. Actually I've just remembered I got bought a 2 for 1 offer around the woosie which I still need to use.

Oh and yes.... The old course is just as enjoyable as woosie for me.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not at all, just put off by reports of awful fairways and greens.... But if what's above is true and it's improved then I will have to revisit. Actually I've just remembered I got bought a 2 for 1 offer around the woosie which I still need to use.

Oh and yes.... The old course is just as enjoyable as woosie for me.

What I would say about fairways is that it seems all courses are struggling this year. More or less everywhere I played was preferred lies from August onwards or earlier. I’m sure others have observed similar.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ive
I'm a member at sedlescombe now and have been for 3 years. It's 8 minutes from me and an hour from my mate...... Hence why I'm looking for somewhere roughly 30 minutes from us both

I’ve played Dale Hill many times ( old course) and always enjoyed it I would have no reason not to go back, what do you think of Sedlescombe out of interest? seem to remember a par 4 blind hole you had to drive over trees then for your next shot a small green to hit with a pond very close on the right hand side.

D

Deleted member 18121

Ive

I’ve played Dale Hill many times ( old course) and always enjoyed it I would have no reason not to go back, what do you think of Sedlescombe out of interest? seem to remember a par 4 blind hole you had to drive over trees then for your next shot a small green to hit with a pond very close on the right hand side.

Sedlescombe for me always had a very average front 9 with a really interesting back 9 and was a good test, however, it recently got taken over and they grew the rough up and really shaped the fairways..... It improved it massively, made it a proper test. Also, it's been re configured so front 7 is normal and then you jump to what was 14 so it's made it a more enjoyable test from start to finish.... And what was 9 (finishing over the pond is now the 18th)... So a worthy finishing hole.

Yes the holes you mention are still fighting fit, although the one you mention about driving over trees is never the shot..... Unless you could hit the perfect little draw.

It's a good course and one I will miss.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It ranges depending on the frequency you’d like to play. The more you play the more ‘points’ you have to buy. I pay £450 which enables me to play about 8-10 times a year depending on day and month. So for me it’s about right. Next level I think is £750. Pretty sure it’s all on the web site.

shagster

Head Pro
Visit site
with your handicap, i would choose somewhere better than wellshurst
sedlescombe is ok but not played for a few years and found it a bit tight in the middle, especially from wayward shots
im at ESN but have to get there around the traffic, not good in rush hour, but the same with hastings
best course around in summer but winters are getting worse
good match play set up through winter
always enjoyed dalehill, but again, wet in winter