Well done Arsenal

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great result for Arsenal tonight. I'm not a fan (Fulham through and through) but always like to see a British club do well and given the number of youngsters in the side and playing a decent team on their own patch it was a brilliant result. Top class penalty save too. Not looking to start a war on whether Arsenal are going to do anything or whether Wenger will go but just recognising a good performance from one of our team

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Happy bunny tonight. Great performance against solid opposition. Not really sure it was a penalty, but great save from chesney. Still got a problem for Sunday, but crisis over for the moment. Not sure I'm going to sleep much tonight. Still bangin'.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great performance - and did you see the quality of the totty in the Italian crowd? Nearly got my chipper out.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Happy bunny tonight. Great performance against solid opposition. Not really sure it was a penalty, but great save from chesney. Still got a problem for Sunday, but crisis over for the moment. Not sure I'm going to sleep much tonight. Still bangin'.
Father in law is big gooner man , saw part of game with him 2nite , unless ye spend ye are just setting yerselves up for a very poor season mate .. im an Everton fan & we simply have no dosh , even if we sell Jags to ye that money will go to the bank not the club ..if we are the over achievers then ye surly are or will be the under achievers .. last year ye were the best footballing side in the league , do well for top 6 this year if ye dont buy buy buy

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Me too, well chuffed about the way we played tonight. You watch we will win a few in the league, buy a couple of players and the same w*****s that were knocking Wenger will start singing his name again.

Sunday will be very tough and no one would be surprised if Man U roll us over but I am hopeful for the rest of the season.

SG86

Medal Winner
Visit site
YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After hearing the news whilst aboard an EasyJet flight from Alicante I can safely say they don't repeat don't appriciate people standing up shouting "yes yes c'mon yes" and singing various Arsenal chants up and down the plane.

Great night for the gunners, hopefully this will help pave the way for the new singing to come on board.

Lets just hope Le Prof can get top 4 this season which at the moment looks shakier than Rors at Augusta!

SG86

BogeyHole

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've been the biggest fan of Wenger until the last 12 months or so, when I've been listening to those doubting voices in my head.

Tonight proves that Wenger is still a great coach.

But he doesn't own Arsenal, and his bosses should remember that.

Today on Talksport there is yet another story about a bid for Jagielka. We've upped our bid from £11 million to £14 million. But Everton have repeatedly said they're not selling for less than £17 million.

Dalgleish says who he wants to buy, and Henry buys them, even if he overpays by a few million because he sees the need to challenge the big boys. Ferguson has been working with one hand behind his back for years, but there has always been enough money there when he needs it.

Is anyone willing to bet that Arsenal will up their bid by the £3 million necessary to get Jagielka? Or will this be yet another player we miss out on?

And I know Wenger doesn't like old players, but there are times when one has to look at the short term, rather than the long term future, and the week you lose your two best players is one of those times. Kroenke should have had Wenger in the office on Monday morning and told him to pick :

two centre backs
a left back
two centre midfielders
and a centre forward.

AND TO STOP LOOKING AT FRICKING YOUNG WINGERS WITH 'POTENTIAL' UNTIL WE'VE ACTUALLY GOT THE SPINE OF THE TEAM RIGHT.

Wenger is a great coach, but tonight just highlighted how much trouble we are in. It showed that we have the weakest squad we've had for over twenty five years.

And that is nothing to celebrate.

:(

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was a good result all right, but I genuinely believe they will get found out in the group stages unless at least three players are brought in.

SG86

Medal Winner
Visit site
I agree 100% Bogey, I wish I had the chequebook for 24h - It's getting really 'old' now when every player we look at is a youngster who in inexperienced and caught like a deer in the headlights.

Every player we have looked at this season has gone another club, they want £17mil, we say £12mil they laugh and then sign for somebody else for £17mil. Its called an asking price for a reason Arsene. And when you have in excess of £50mil to splash, stop being tight.

Mata would have been a great signing but it wasn't to be. Hazard would be good but again is young. How did we not get Given for £3.5mil? When we were look at at least £12mil 12months ago...

I think at best this season he will sign a CB and maybe a sub standard Midfielder - maybe. I think top 7 and we will be lucky unless we have a miracle.

SG86

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Great result and a good performance when the chips were down.

Penalty should have been retaken though but I really don't think had they scored it would have made a difference as Arsenal were comfortable winners.

It is only Udinese remember though.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The main target last night was to get into the group stage, so job done. Man U will be a much tougher prospect at the weekend, especially with the injuries and suspensions. That said, a loss at OT is not the end of the world. A lot of teams don't get a result here, and United have their 12th man in Howard Webb officiating.

Hopefully now he will sign the players required, because it is pretty easy to see there are gaps that need filling, although I don't think a keeper is one of them.

From what I have read, the problem with signing the players who have been linked to Arsenal is that most don't want to come to the club (not hugely suprising, since most of them read the papers, and all you read of is a club in crisis). How Wenger can get round that remains a mystery.

Apparently Arsenals wage structure is also an issue. If you spend 30m on a player, they expect more than 90k a week. Arsenal will not break their wage structure (this is not set by Wenger).

So yet again, it will be either second rate signings that are little better than what we have, or young talent no one has heard of.

We are paying the price for not investing in top players when we were winning things.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Shopping List :

Cahill or Jagielka
Scott Parker
Benzema

I still believe they should have used the Fabregas money to improve Nasri's contract and put him in the middle to pull the strings....

Need more from guys like Arshavin & Rosicky, because you know that RVP % Walcott will get injured at some point.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Cahill, maybe, or Jags, but Parker? Surely we can do better than Parker. He is hugely over rated. Benzema's wages would be way too high.

Any replacements will be from the french leagues, as they get paid peanuts.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ya know i think parker would do a job for ye, but wont west ham only do a loan deal for 3 mil or s'thin?? too much for one season as i think they will get promoted .. should have bought centre backs in close season & have them for pre season .. i think the big slip up was shay given,should have been part of the clichy deal... i also think barton would have done a good job in the middle for ye as a holding player. bit of steel ye missing .. i (sadly for me) think ye will pay 16.5/17 mill for jags next tues or

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Barton is a liability. We get enough red cards already without adding him. Added to which the fans hate him.

Parker, can't see where he would fit in. Old, slow, and not good enough for Chelsea so why would he be good enough for us? It would be like buying Silvestre, and what idiot would do that?

Oops, Wenger did exactly that.

Can't see what Given would bring. For 7m we could have bought Steklenberg, the Dutch keeper. That would have been a good buy. But if we can't have him, CZSZ will do.

UpminsterGas11

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think Cahill would be a better partner for Vermaelen, as he's right footed, but wouldn't say no to Jagielka. I think he desperately needs to buy a striker as well, Van Persie has glass ankles so you can't rely on him to be fit all season, seems to be alot of talk about Zarate from Lazio, who looks a decent player.

Hats off to Scze@@y tonight, that was an outstanding penalty save, i see that all the pundits who were telling Wenger he needed to buy a new keeper have shut up after his great start to the season.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Barton is a liability. We get enough red cards already without adding him. Added to which the fans hate him.

Parker, can't see where he would fit in. Old, slow, and not good enough for Chelsea so why would he be good enough for us? It would be like buying Silvestre, and what idiot would do that?

Oops, Wenger did exactly that.

Can't see what Given would bring. For 7m we could have bought Steklenberg, the Dutch keeper. That would have been a good buy. But if we can't have him, CZSZ will do.
with greatest respect murph & i have good time for arsenal as my da in law & some friends are big fans & i honestly do think arsenal were the best football side in the league last year so im not anti arsenal in any way .. i think you may have the rose coloured specs on mate .. parker would bring experience . something that ye lack at the mo .. Given ?? great keeper mate , went to villa for something like 3 mil .. ok your boy did good last night but it a serious problem for ye .. IF.. and only if utd turn ye over sun ye will be way off the pace already & utd & shitty will have stolen a march on ye , all the clubs around that top 4 where ye should be have strenghtened but arsenal have dismantled a great team , ok you cant stop players leaving but you gota spend to replace them , & you must replace them with quality not up coming youngsters ,

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can't see Arsenal getting any sort of (positive) result on Sunday. Ok, they will be 8 points behind, which isn't good, but will have got two tough games out of the way early. I don't see it as a disaster.

I hope Wenger does strengthen the team, and yes, a striker would be good, along with a creative midfielder to replace Fab (Wilshere cannot play the whole season at his age), and an additional defensive midfielder to help out Song. A centerback and a left back would also be on my shopping list.
I just don't see Parker as the mid fielder. Yes, he has experience, mainly of relegation, which I hope we won't need.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Relegation .. ffs dont use that word around an everton fan.. deep breaths deep breaths ha :D :D.. gona take a good few bobs to rebuild mate , problem ye will have aswell is clubs know ye have the fab & nasri money & ye need players ,, prices get pumped up.. man city are doing untold damage to the league with inflated transfer fees & wages .. good luck to them if they have the dosh its up to them to spend it how they see fit .. until there is a wage cap or something equivalent they will turn contracted players heads with big wage offers.. this then has a snowball effect on other clubs with DECENT players fetching mad money .. by the way whats the story with chamak ?? is he injured or out of favour .. i thought he could be decent buy ??