Weight transfere.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just reading another post and it got me thinking.

How many people actually work on this or think about it?

Only ask because, i had a lesson to rectify this on monday as i do it to much and basically my pro said dont think about it, it will come naturally.

(do we read to much into it, like 3 foot putts)

He basically got me thinking of rotation rather than weight transfere and i tell you what, it was heaps better within 10 mins! Just a thought,

What you all think/do?

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
When I struggle with a shoulder turn and transfer through I will picture a piece of cord attached to each shoulder, (bear with me, it gets better honestly). At the start of the backswing I picture the string from my right shoulder being pulled to my left, (from behind me) and on the down swing the left shoulder string being pulled to my right. (easier to think about than explain :D)
I really find this keeps me stable and promotes a good back swing, down swing and turn. This then automatically leads to a better transfer and smoother swing.

Feel free to try it, if you understand it :D :D

John

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Feel free to try it, if you understand it :D :D

John

What if you dont - do I have to hold my arms up puppet stylee - :cool: :D :p- thats actually quite a good visulation.

I have found the weight shaft now comes naturally, by pro got me to demonstrate a upper cut punch and tree felling to show where the weight should be and to let me feel it moving. The uppercut lets you stay behind the weight, and the tree felling helps to show how you would naturally build torque. Worked great for me.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
DL would definitely say that you can work on your pivot on it's own away from the club. Transferring the weight properly is a very subtle skill. You want to do it (unless you are subscribing to zero-pivot or stack n tilt) but it needs to happen without excessive lateral movement (swaying outside the boundaries of ideal). If you are over doing it (I always have), it's best to attempt to make no deliberate move to the right and just turn around your spine. It's one of the things I work on the most with/without a club......then again, I know that my worst shot of the lot is when I sway too much, can't make up the move back through impact and hit it fat!!

Slaighty

Club Champion
Visit site
As John Daly says in one of his books - Listen to your right foot. Think in terms of turning your right side away from the ball and round your spine, but if your weight goes to the outside of your right foot, you have swayed, not turned. Keep the weight on the inside of the foot and you'll be amazed at the results - I was.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
As John Daly says in one of his books - Listen to your right foot. Think in terms of turning your right side away from the ball and round your spine, but if your weight goes to the outside of your right foot, you have swayed, not turned. Keep the weight on the inside of the foot and you'll be amazed at the results - I was.

Good quote.....best nugget since mr mcnugget invented the nugget.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Learning to turn rather than sway made a huge diffrence to me - and I still revert to the bad old ways when under pressure. The Swing Factory book has a good illustration of how the spine should stay convex through the swing which keeps weight down rather than coming up and to the right.
Unless you are low handicap I would get the turn/pivot right rather than worry about weight transfer.

AliB

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
HID bought me the perfect practice aid yesterday for 79p. It was a beach ball from Superdrug. Blow it up and hold it between your legs and you are creating the perfect scenario for creating upper body pivot and torque. The ball allows the upper half to turn but resists any lateral or overly active leg movement

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
HID bought me the perfect practice aid yesterday for 79p. It was a beach ball from Superdrug. Blow it up and hold it between your legs and you are creating the perfect scenario for creating upper body pivot and torque.

Homer, we oldies do know how to enjoy ourselves.
Maybe I'll buy one for me and Mr B. ;)

AiB