Wedges- you get what you pay for?

G

guest100718

I'll try and keep this brief.....

In the middle of a course of lessons focussing on short game (chipping & putting).

I tend to chip mostly with my 58 degree lob wedge nowadays as the G15 SW has a very clunky head.

However, my lob wedge was just a cheapo £25 effort.

If I spend £90 on a Vokey (or whatever), will I feel an immediate difference in quality / consistency etc or is it only slightly better?

Chipping with less loft would be more beneficial than buying a vokey.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've just ordered some Mizuno MP-T4's.

I've had Ping Tour-S in all my wedges but the 10 & 12 degree's bounce didn't suit me. I bought a cheap Cleveland 588 56* with low bounce and the difference was instant so I've changed my wedges to match my MP-52's.

Selling my Ping wedges if your interested?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've just ordered some Mizuno MP-T4's.

I've had Ping Tour-S in all my wedges but the 10 & 12 degree's bounce didn't suit me. I bought a cheap Cleveland 588 56* with low bounce and the difference was instant so I've changed my wedges to match my MP-52's.

Selling my Ping wedges if your interested?

Good choice with the T4's Fish.

I have them in black nickel and they are a pretty good wedge. I tried Vokey, Cleveland and the T4's when I got fit and found them the best of the bunch.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The grind on the wedges on the coopers are a lot better for me. Yes i new about them, but i wanted to try Miura last year, i have done that, and i have moved on. I have tried Vega's, and the are very similar to Cooper. I think they are made in the same factory.

They are indeed both manufactured by Kyoei, as are Yururi, Hakusa, Chikara and a number of other boutique brands (James Patrick for example) and of course Kyoei itself. The Master Grinder (Isao Okamura) doesn't work exclusively for Cooper. Here's a vid of the process... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eTEXHk0GxqU. Could well be your irons at about 1:23. This vid of Mizuno process is rather similar - as you would expect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vugGpqaoS4&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Shows to me that their isn't really a huge magic about the process. Kyoei (and Miura) may be golf specific forging houses, but it's the same industrial process as performed by the huge general forging house others, such as Mizuno, use. The huge price premium involved is ridiculous imo, but golf and common sense are rarely actually associated.

I actually had a C-grind done on a 52 Miura and it made a huge difference. The 60* ended up pretty much between S and V. Better to get them with plenty of 'meat' then custom ground imo.

Last edited:
T

thecraw

They are indeed both manufactured by Kyoei, as are Yururi, Hakusa, Chikara and a number of other boutique brands (James Patrick for example) and of course Kyoei itself. The Master Grinder (Isao Okamura) doesn't work exclusively for Cooper. Here's a vid of the process... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eTEXHk0GxqU. Could well be your irons at about 1:23. This vid of Mizuno process is rather similar - as you would expect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vugGpqaoS4&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Shows to me that their isn't really a huge magic about the process. Kyoei (and Miura) may be golf specific forging houses, but it's the same industrial process as performed by the huge general forging house others, such as Mizuno, use. The huge price premium involved is ridiculous imo, but golf and common sense are rarely actually associated.

It makes him happy though.

D

deanobillquay

Well i have just changed my Miura irons and wedges, to Cooper irons & wedges, and i am loving my new clubs. Play with what makes you happy dude, if you can afford the best, buy them, simples. Its all in the head dude :)

Look cracking irons, enjoy them :thup:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll try and keep this brief.....

In the middle of a course of lessons focussing on short game (chipping & putting).

I tend to chip mostly with my 58 degree lob wedge nowadays as the G15 SW has a very clunky head.

However, my lob wedge was just a cheapo £25 effort.

If I spend £90 on a Vokey (or whatever), will I feel an immediate difference in quality / consistency etc or is it only slightly better?

You are asking two different questions.

Are Vokeys good wedges? Go to the PGA this week and look in some bags. A lot more players who are not contracted to play Titleist use Vokeys than other wedges. They are excellent wedges.

Will they improve your game? Who knows. It depends what is wrong with your short game and what your technique is like.

You can get a wedge fitting at Titleist in Cambs. Many pros will also do one for Titleist and other makes.

T

thecraw

ive just witnessed this, first tammy sauce then mayo then he put pepper on the chips. ive never seen pepper on chips before

Pepper is the only thing that you should put on chips!

Mayo on the side for a wee bit of dipage!