ICYGOLF Wedges

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He had a wide range in his little box Steve, so yes he will do a 3 wedge setup. Bare in mind of 22 I probably dont need 3 whereas single figure guys will be a tad more specific with yardages/bounce etc

Makes sense mate, you know me, like more options at that end of the bag (mainly for approach shots) and happy to sacrifice at the other end, easier now the Drivers not in play lol)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would have been surprised to hear him giving you low bounce wedges. I am a firm believer that if people have trouble chipping then they simply need more bounce.

the fact you can still open them sounds good! :thup:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
he said exactly that Gary, my 60 is 6 degree bounce, My bad shots are duffs where I dig it in, I didnt do it once with his demo ones so it must be right for me.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
he said exactly that Gary, my 60 is 6 degree bounce, My bad shots are duffs where I dig it in, I didnt do it once with his demo ones so it must be right for me.

someone will listen to me yet! :eek:

once the ground firms up a bit, you will be able to hit behind the ball and that bounce will make the club glide along the top of the turf and clip the ball nicely.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of an old thread but just to add I went and saw Iain last night, thoughrolly nice bloke.
So in short my wedges are way to upright for me and need the heel ground down, my technique needed a small change and my bunker play sucks.
Ordered a 57 and will get a 51 when they come in stock, as a bonus I holed 4 chips.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Thought I’d give this thread a boost as it’s been 10 years since I bought my wedges from Iain. I stopped by his place on my way south from Scotland on Thursday as I’d arranged with him to reface my original wedges. I used to visit him annually but I hadn’t spoken with Iain for a couple of years. He’s still going and still doing the wedges. I was literally 6 hours in to a 10 hour drive, it was a quick stop. Took 25 minutes and a whopping £7.50 for each wedge to clean up as good as new. 10 years on, this is what they look like today. Iain’s service is still as good as ever.

IMG_2813.jpegIMG_2812.jpeg

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Thought I’d give this thread a boost as it’s been 10 years since I bought my wedges from Iain. I stopped by his place on my way south from Scotland on Thursday as I’d arranged with him to reface my original wedges. I used to visit him annually but I hadn’t spoken with Iain for a couple of years. He’s still going and still doing the wedges. I was literally 6 hours in to a 10 hour drive, it was a quick stop. Took 25 minutes and a whopping £7.50 for each wedge to clean up as good as new. 10 years on, this is what they look like today. Iain’s service is still as good as ever.

View attachment 52209View attachment 52210

I have 2 of these wedges, Iain’s service was indeed very good. Was a bit jealous of his back garden set up.

D

Deleted member 35504

What is the actual brand name of these?

I can't find them on the R&A list of conforming golf clubs, but maybe because I'm not putting in the correct manufacturer name?

Conforming clubs link

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
as per the thread title - ICYGolf.

Think mine had the old non conforming grooves, which are still allowed to be used in competitions, unless there’s a local rule in place. Having said that, I don’t play comps, only social golf, so of no importance to me.

My son got some a few years after me. They were conforming grooves.

D

Deleted member 35504

1709713937215.png
as per the thread title - ICYGolf.

Think mine had the old non conforming grooves, which are still allowed to be used in competitions, unless there’s a local rule in place. Having said that, I don’t play comps, only social golf, so of no importance to me.

My son got some a few years after me. They were conforming grooves.
I'd be interested to here a rules guru's interpretation on this.

According to the R&A conforming equipment list, nothing from that brand is shown. If you got your wedges in 2014 they would be made after 2010 when all wedges had to be conforming, if your son is using them they could be illegal for all use.

Any rules guys can maybe clarify this?

D

Deleted member 35504

And some people wonder why golf has a reputation of being played by bores and anoraks.
Don't be daft.
It's a legitimate discussion, all equipment is subject to conformity and I'm genuinely interested.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I know my wedges are not conforming, but I don’t use them in comps, I don’t even play comps. I have a set of Vokeys that I’ve been using for a few years and prior to that Cally wedges. I’ve only just dragged these back out as I knew I was driving past Iain when heading south.

The heads were made by Kyoei in Japan. My lads ones were bought a couple years later, they came from a later batch and were confirming, but again doesn’t matter as he no longer uses his ones.

I feel like I’m having to defend Iain here, or even my use of them when
Resurrecting the post was just a nod to Iain’s service, which is and always has been fantastic.

I looked at the R&A site on the 2010 rule after you raised the question. It reads to me that for us amateurs, although the limit was January this year, they are continuing to allow them unless a local rule is employed by the club for any particular comp.

If I’ve misunderstood that, my bad, but I’ll continue to use my ICY wedges when playing social golf 😘