Wedges- you get what you pay for?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll try and keep this brief.....

In the middle of a course of lessons focussing on short game (chipping & putting).

I tend to chip mostly with my 58 degree lob wedge nowadays as the G15 SW has a very clunky head.

However, my lob wedge was just a cheapo £25 effort.

If I spend £90 on a Vokey (or whatever), will I feel an immediate difference in quality / consistency etc or is it only slightly better?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I use an MD 58 and a Mizuno 53, both were under 50 quid each, I use Titleist irons, do I feel the need to buy titleist wedges? not really, the two wedges I use are just fine.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your lob wedge is a Nike vr rev according to your sig? You might have paid £25 for it but it is hardly a cheapo £25 jobby like a Dunlop or something.
You won't find any difference between that and any other top brand wedge other than a bit of personal preference.

D

deanobillquay

Purely down to personal preference I reckon.

Go with what you like the look/feel of.

Whether you can resist the lure of a new shiney is another story though :)

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you can show me a wedge I can buy to improve my consistency I'll have 2!
No need to spend £90 you can get pretty decent shineys for a lot less maybe a model behind but they will do the job nicely.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have 52 and 56 vokeys. the don't help my chip any better than the Slazenger 64 degree I have.

its all down to preference. I just love the shape and weight of vokeys.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
have to say I am loving my tpz's, getting 100yds with my 52 on a full swing, a bit of check with the sand wedge & love the lob wedge when needed.

its not the wedges though its technique as I can thin them just aswell as any wedge out there :p

munro007

Tour Rookie
www.craigmillarpark.co.uk
Well i have just changed my Miura irons and wedges, to Cooper irons & wedges, and i am loving my new clubs. Play with what makes you happy dude, if you can afford the best, buy them, simples. Its all in the head dude :)

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I wanted to try a lob wedge, so I bought one of them Dunlop nz9 things from sports direct in 60 degree and I have to say it easily plays as well as my callaway sand wedge, and it was £9.99!!!! The callaway was the £79

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bought a couple of Vokeys a few years ago. Couldn't wait to get rid of them as they felt too heavy and caused me nothing but trouble. The only shots I could play with the 60* LW were various shanks. Went back to my old Mizuno TP601 in the end with a worn out face.

malek988

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have an md wedge i got for a tenner 2nd hand hits greens and stops dead, a 56* Mizuno wedge on sale for £30 again perfect spin excellent feel easy to use, and my callaway 62* love it so much wouldn't change it for the world, as you see i have wedges from all price ranges and they work perfect, dont go for price go for what works for you

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well i have just changed my Miura irons and wedges, to Cooper irons & wedges, and i am loving my new clubs. Play with what makes you happy dude, if you can afford the best, buy them, simples. Its all in the head dude :)

Interesting that you switched from Miuras that were the dog's doo-dahs last year. Did you know about Coopers then?

Did you consider/try Vegas at all? How do the Coopers feel in comparison to them - and to the Miuras?

munro007

Tour Rookie
www.craigmillarpark.co.uk
The grind on the wedges on the coopers are a lot better for me. Yes i new about them, but i wanted to try Miura last year, i have done that, and i have moved on. I have tried Vega's, and the are very similar to Cooper. I think they are made in the same factory.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The grind on the wedges on the coopers are a lot better for me. Yes i new about them, but i wanted to try Miura last year, i have done that, and i have moved on. I have tried Vega's, and the are very similar to Cooper. I think they are made in the same factory.

wow, those Coopers are nice looking clubs.

Love the black finnish.