Wedges Wedges Wedges

MattyV

Hacker
Visit site
Hi guys, I've been following this forum for ages, but still pretty much a newbie here and finally plucked up the confidence to post a new thread. I just wanted to pick your brains quickly.

I'm a 15 handicap and I've been playing with the same wedges for quite a while now. They are Titleist Vokey 52, 56 and 60, and were passed on by a friend who upgraded. I haven't got round to buying my own wedges yet as in the last 18 months I've bought new irons (TM R11's) and a new driver (910D2) and I think the Mrs would have killed me if I bought anything else in that time!

But now looking at my wedges, they seem tired and playing every week I think I could do with some new grooves.

The big question is what wedges would you recommend? I would of course love to stay with Vokeys, but with the SM4's at around £80 per wedge, I would be looking at £240+ for three wedges! Yikes! I popped into American golf the other day to buy some new balls & tees and saw that they still have a number of Taylormade RAC Tumble wedges, and at only £50 per wedge which is more affordable. Has anyone played with these wedges and know anyone that has? I know they are a few years old, but I quite like the classic look and seem nice.
I know quite a lot of people like Cleveland these days as well. Any other thoughts from anyone?

Finally, my PW is 45 degrees. So if I play 52, 56 and 60, which leaves 7 degrees between PW and gap wedge. Do you think that is too much? I sometimes find it annoying, but most of the time it seems ok, so I think I *might* stay with that combo.

Love to know your thoughts,
Thanks guys

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome.

Personally would want a smaller gap so would probably go for 50,54,58 or 50,55,60 if you really want a 60 degree in there. As for which then its very much a case of personal choice. I currently use Vokeys and would definitely buy them again, that said the Clevelands I had previously were decent and I had a look at the Cobra trusty rusty recently and was sorely tempted by them too. For me weight in a wedge is very important, I like the feel of a heavy head, anything too light and I dont feel fully in control but it may be very different for you.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Welcome along Matty.

I would just add this to Fundys post. Consider the correct boune angle in your wedges. take into account things like the kind of course you play (parkland, links) on and what kind of divot you take (Slider or digger) and other factors.

Some good info here.

http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/golf-advice/520/golf-club-bounce-angle-buyers-guide.html

As for brands, I'll obviously say Mizuno :D, but if you're happy with Vokeys, why change?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im going to be a bit controversial and say, stick with vokeys as they are the best in the market and have more loft and bounce options than most.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Remember that gap and lob/sand wedges most shots will be 3/4 or less,.
I've played the RAC tumble wedge and they are a fine wedge.
A lot of guys will harp on about the gap being to big but if you look at the bag of a lot of pros they go PW,52,58 or PW 54,60 so 6 degrees gap is not uncommon. Personally I go with 6 degrees so I can load up the tops end of my bag.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Remember that gap and lob/sand wedges most shots will be 3/4 or less,.
I've played the RAC tumble wedge and they are a fine wedge.
A lot of guys will harp on about the gap being to big but if you look at the bag of a lot of pros they go PW,52,58 or PW 54,60 so 6 degrees gap is not uncommon. Personally I go with 6 degrees so I can load up the tops end of my bag.

Far from being a pro, but I gap mine PW, 52*, 58*. I just find it works for me.

D

deanobillquay

I would of course love to stay with Vokeys

IMO you should try and stay with these, maybe consider upgrading one at a time to replace your old ones?

If you love particular clubs, why change? Its a personal choice really.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd be concerned with the jump from PW to GW, I have a 46* to 52* jump and the amount of times I find myself at a range where I need a 50* is ridiculous and I am forcing the 52* or choking down the PW - I want a 50*.
Closer than that it's never a full shot anyway so I'm less concerned with a bigger jump. I'll keep 56* SW and 60* LW.

Edit: I use clevelands, because they were a LOT cheaper than the equivalent vokeys or mizzies. They do the job fine

Last edited:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
£80 for a quality wedge is not bad when you think of the value your getting out of each club.
Do yourself a favour,get in the long grass of your course,you will find enough balls in half an hour
that will last all winter,thus saving you money towards your wedges.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Vokeys are good, great choice of bounces and lofts.
MD might be worth a thought as there are regular and low bounce versions (norman drew, seve etc) Half the price and spin perhaps even more than the vokeys depending on model.
Third option, I have went with since using both of the above for a few years each, Mizuno raw haze finish wedges. I have a 53 degree and absolutely love it, it zips the ball and looks great with the rough finish to it. They are a few years olf now but I managed to source a brand new one still in its plastic for 35 quid. Such a great bargain.

ForeRighty

Head Pro
Visit site
I would recommend the 52/58 wedge combo this way you can purchase what you consider to be the best available. I was faced with this issue in the Summer and do not regret going down this route.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Spot on Bud

stock-photo-2122009-damaged-golf-ball.jpg

Is that the same as carving a smile into the soft cover :smirk:

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Changing my 60:06 low bounce nike SV to a plenty of bounce 60:12 cleveland was like night and day in terms of playability.
A low bounce 60 didn't work for me at all, the cleveland with 12* of bounce is great.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with brendy here. Try the m.d range. Especially older models as they are cheap as chips, look good and play well. The 2 bounce options should provide what you need and you can probably replace all three for the price of one vokey.

Chrisb83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Snainton golf have the Cleveland cg16 wedges on offer for 40.00 ago seemed a bargain to me. I've gone with a new setup of 46, 52 & 58

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Read this, has some helpful information http://www.ralphmaltby.com/17

I find a full shot easier than a half/3 quarter shot so I have 3 wedges, 50/54/58. I would also suggest you have at least 1 high bounce wedge and 1 low bounce wedge, depending on whether you are a digger etc...you can then decide what your bounce should be. I dig so my 54 and 58 degree wedge have a high bounce on them. Both titleist and cleveland have a 'fitting module' that help sort out your wedge setup

I had the mizunos and then changed to vokeys, they feel much heavier and I prefer that in a wedge, each to their own. For me it was between the Cleveland 588's and the SM4's. They are quite expensive, but you dont change them that often, and you should be able to get some sort of discount/voucher code at this time of year. Best of luck.