Wedges, best set up for improving 16 hc club golfer

Onyx

Hacker
Visit site
Would be very interested in hearing some advice for the best selection of wedges to have in the bag for a player at my level, playing mostly parkland courses.

I have ping i15 irons (reg flex) to PW - which I believe has 48 deg of loft, beyond that I use a mixture of old wedges, sand irons, & a lob wedge that I have accumulated - none of which I am completely comfortable with. I am thinking of replacing these with a 56 deg sand wedge & a gap wedge of 52 deg which would fit in well with the progression of my set, but it is the question of bounce that I am unsure about, with so many options available. What would be the ideal spec? I am looking at the usual suspects; Mizuno, Vokey, Cleveland - do any of these have a model particularly suited to the club player??

Many thanks in advance.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum ,

i asked a similar question in here the other day & got good advice see "thoughts & Advice please" thread , it might be of some relevence to you ,, my gaps are too big 48/56/58/64 so on advice im looking for a 52 that i like ..

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
, I should have searched properly 1st,

Wouldnt worry bout that part mate if you wana know something just ask , good bunch & wont set you wrong ,

Loads of meets & games being sorted in the arrange a game section if your looking for a knock somewhere different ,

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
hello and welcome enjoy,

plenty your way on here, fancy woburn in march? :lol:

as for your wedges there is not correwct way your own personal preference but going 52, 56 would make sense. You could get a I15 U wedge as your 52 and then take your pick of 56 wedges, take a visit to AG or the like to see what takes your eye.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
welcome Onyx, whereabouts in Herts are you?

as per the above plenty of good advice on here. another option is 52/58 degree. My pw is 47 and I am going 52/56 but probs gonna get a 58 for spring and drop the 56.

Plenty of decent models out there. A gw in the i15 may be a decent option. I had the gw & sw in the G10's and really liked them.

good luck :)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is a matter of personal preference. I only have room for 2 wedges due to carrying a 2i and 3w, so I go for a 54SW and a low bounce 60. Another option on a similar line is to get the matching GW then get a 58. If you are looking at 3 wedge option the there is only really one choice that is used by most and that would be to go with a 52GW 56SW & 60LW

T

thecraw

Just so that you know before you rush out and buy anything the Ping PW is 46 degrees not 48.

Cheers.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Worth trying a few around the 50-52 degree to see how the distances and flights fit in with your existing set/swing. I have a 45deg pw and a 52 was just too much of a gap. Typically with a 'proper' swing it was about 20yards, which is too imprecise, even for me. I don't mind fiddling around with 3/4 shots from 60yds and in, but at 100 yards I don't need it. I recently picked up a 50 degree from the bargain bin and it works much better.

I think that ping do a 50deg 'u' wedge in the i15 range, so that would seem a good place to start.

With the higher lofts, just use the one that works best getting out of bunkers !