Wedges, best set up for improving 16 hc club golfer

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
ahh, not played there yet. Supposed to be a decent track, I am sure some of the other Herts lads have played there.

I have played there :)

Reminded me a bit of Mill Green (have you played there, Gibbo ?) in that it is a newish course draped over non-golfing terrain with a sudden burst of attractive 'proper looking' holes at the end.

It drains well for that part of Herts/North London, which is a good thing in these current climatic conditions.

Onyx

Hacker
Visit site
Reminded me a bit of Mill Green, in that it is a newish course draped over non-golfing terrain with a sudden burst of attractive 'proper looking' holes at the end.

It drains well for that part of Herts/North London, which is a good thing in these current climatic conditions.

That is a very fair assesment, the last 6 holes constitiute a stern test, one which I haven't passed yet unfortunately, the first twelve are, in comparism, benign - but obviously you need to keep the card tidy for as long as you can. Drainage is good & being improved, greens fair to middling, facilities are decent, changing rooms due an upgrade.

Onyx

Hacker
Visit site
Just so that you know before you rush out and buy anything the Ping PW is 46 degrees not 48.

Cheers.

That's well worth knowing, thanks. Much appreciate all the other replies too - got a short game lesson booked for next week & hope to incorporate a fitting in around that, so watch this space.
Thanks everyone

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Going back to your original post. If your PW is 48 Deg then I would suggest a 52 GW and a 56 SW. This gives a nice 4 deg spacing which will give good yardage gaps and plenty of room for manufacturing shots by opening the clubface.

If your PW is 46 deg then go for a 50 GW and 54 SW. If you have space in the bag then you could add a lob wedge at 60 or 58 respectively, I would suggest 6 deg or more is too wide a gap between clubs.

For the bounce it depends on what kind of sand and ground conditions you play from. If the sand is very powdery or the ground soft and wet then more bounce will be better, maybe around 14 deg on the SW and 10 on the GW. If the sand is heavy and the ground conditions firm then less bounce would be better, maybe 9/10 for the SW and 6 for the GW.