wedge set up

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi folks,

I am thinking of changing my wedge set up, and potentially bag set up also, and am looking for a few opinions.
Currently I have 52, 56, 58,
52 - 110 max yards, and use it for some shots round the green to get it running
56 - 90/95 max yards, mainly use it from greenside bunkers, and prefer to hit a 3/4 52 over a full 56.
58 - 75 max yards, is almost making the 56 redundant as I like it from the sand but it is very versatile around the green and from 75 yards and in.
My quandary is that I feel like I have 2 clubs doing 1 job.
So, should I get rid of the 52 and 56 and look at a 54, my pw is 47 btw. Or should I go back to a 60 and drop the 58, keeps it all even that way.
If I change 52/56 to a 54, do I get a 50, or maybe put a 2i or 5 wood in bag?

descisions, descisions!! lol

Thanks

JT

Pull

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've just swapped my wedges to 3 new vokeys :)

I now currently have:
PW 46 - 150yds
52 - 130yds max
56 - 100yds max
60 - ?? only used 58 up to this point.

Will probably just use thr 56 and vary it for <100 yards and use the 60 for around the greens.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lol I thought that too.
I never thought of 52 56 and dropping th lob wedge altogether. But I guess it's something I could look at I thought I would go pw, 54 then 58. But think the gap maybe better other way.
Cheers

Pull

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nope,

Just hit the ball hard.. works to a disadvantage sometimes.
Would prefer a higher ballflight and less distance but you play with what you've got.

In summer on our 17th (499yd par 5) i can manage to reach with driver and mid iron.. i think even once i managed driver 9i :rolleyes: no doubt still managed a 5 though

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
So you carry the rest of the clubs for exercise then? :D
Nope,

Just hit the ball hard.. works to a disadvantage sometimes.
Would prefer a higher ballflight and less distance but you play with what you've got.

In summer on our 17th (499yd par 5) i can manage to reach with driver and mid iron.. i think even once i managed driver 9i :rolleyes: no doubt still managed a 5 though

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Would prefer a higher ballflight and less distance but you play with what you've got

Sounds like you've got the ball too far back in your stance, delofting the club therefor hitting it longer but lower.
Try it more from the middle and see if you gain any more height. :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hi folks,

I am thinking of changing my wedge set up, and potentially bag set up also, and am looking for a few opinions.

I have 50, 54 & 58 and will probably never change.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi folks,

Personally I'd be looking at the gaps. There is only 2 degrees between the 56 and 58 and so it's not really going to make a huge difference distance wise off grass. I guess you need to look at the bounce on those and work out which is better suited to the type of bunkers at your course but to be honest I'd look at dropping one of those them as I can't see what extra mileage you get from both

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
HJS I bought the bridgestone as got it for a good price with a great shaft, and my 60 was not playing fair (lol), and I have toyed with the idea of changing set up for some time.

JO, I have toyed with the idea of that set up for some time, but as my set up has been as is for 5 years, i am finding it tough to change.

I am going to sell the 52 and 56, and get a 54, and poss a 50 also, but maybe look at 5 wood as I like hitting knock down pw's for 100/110.

thanks for the feedback

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1. Are there any situations at the moment you feel you don't have the right club for?

2. If you lose the 56 will there be any shots you wouldn't be happy playing with the 52 or 58?

3. If you lose the 58 will there be any shots you wouldn't be happy playing with the 52 or 56?

4. Do you come across long yardage situations that you're not happy playing with the longer clubs you have?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
FWIW...my PW goes 115ish - no idea what loft it is nor care for that matter, then have a 52 that goes 80/105 and then a 56 which I use for bunkers, round the green and from 80 yards inwards.....

I find a rescue and 3 iron at the other much more useful....

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. Are there any situations at the moment you feel you don't have the right club for? Yes, goin for par 5 in 2 when stuck between 3iron and 3 wood.

2. If you lose the 56 will there be any shots you wouldn't be happy playing with the 52 or 58? No

3. If you lose the 58 will there be any shots you wouldn't be happy playing with the 52 or 56? No

4. Do you come across long yardage situations that you're not happy playing with the longer clubs you have? yes, please see above :p

Thanks, I see you point has helped me see mine, I would like a 5 wood, and now just have to decide wether to change the 52 to a 54 and go 54/58, or go 52/58.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1. Are there any situations at the moment you feel you don't have the right club for?

My mistake. That should have said situations inside 80 yards, ie. the short end of the bag.

I think you've made your mind up now though :)

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
just about, thanks. I love my 3 iron, but since taking out the hybrid, I get caught occaisionally between 3 wood and 3i, so the 5 wood would help there, and no need to have 4 wedges, when I can manage very happily with 3.
cheers

JT