Wedge Lofts Gapping

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, I know this sort of thing has been asked a hundred times, but this'll be the first time I've bought a set of wedges so want to get it right. And apologies in advance for the length. :D

I've recently bought Steelhead XR irons which are 5 to PW. I have a 50° gap wedge but I think I can still get 50 or 60 quid for selling it so I plan to do that and put it towards an actual pair or set of matching wedges.

The looked up the lofts on the Steelheads and they are really strong. Through the set they're as follows:
56789P
I'm a bit caught in two minds. I was thinking of just getting a pair that were 50 & 54 initially. Then I thought that's too big a gap from the 44 PW to the 50 gap - however going up through the irons gaps increase anyway. From 9 to P it's 5°, so following that on I'd be looking at a 49 & 54/55 maybe (but odd number wedges seem to be less common, so rounding up could even be 50 & 56?).

However, I often see from other people's bags in their signatures here that people seem to bring the gaps closer together at the wedge end. So I was considering maybe getting a set of three at 48/52/56 or something like that? I really don't know what would be best.

(Please note I already bankrupted myself getting the irons so fitting sessions and gapping sessions and the like are well off the table right now. I'm literally just wanting to pick up a second hand set of wedges here.)

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To be quite honest, the loft gaps don't have that much of an impact. It is the distance you hit them that you need to work out.

For example, I have a 45 degree PW, then a 50, 56, 60. Which is basically 5 degrees between them. My main issue is that my PW goes about 120 and my 50 goes about 100. I find myself with the 110 yard shot and really struggle to play a knock down PW. I have decided (subject to some testing) with my next set to go for a 48, 54 and 60 as I think the stronger 48 wedge will plug that gap but that only leaves a 3 degree gap between the pw and the 48.

Although, with my 56 and 60, I very very rarely play a full shot with them. It is normally pitches and chips and the 60 only really comes out for the bunkers so at this end of the bag it doesn't really matter about the max distance i can hit them.

It is quite a tough subject to advise on, if I were you, i would go for the 50 & 56, if you are not going to test and they are going to be a cheaper set. That would give you your 6 degree gap between the clubs and hopefully give you some consistent gapping.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Here's a picture of all my wedges

CIMG0759.jpg

Please note the loft and bounce on them.

Get yourself a 50 and a 56 and a lesson on how to use them.
Then practice

BUYING NEW WEDGES WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR SHORT GAME.

I find myself with the 110 yard shot and really struggle to play a knock down PW.

Do yourself a favour and have a lesson on the knock down shot

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be quite honest, the loft gaps don't have that much of an impact. It is the distance you hit them that you need to work out.

For example, I have a 45 degree PW, then a 50, 56, 60. Which is basically 5 degrees between them. My main issue is that my PW goes about 120 and my 50 goes about 100. I find myself with the 110 yard shot and really struggle to play a knock down PW. I have decided (subject to some testing) with my next set to go for a 48, 54 and 60 as I think the stronger 48 wedge will plug that gap but that only leaves a 3 degree gap between the pw and the 48.

Although, with my 56 and 60, I very very rarely play a full shot with them. It is normally pitches and chips and the 60 only really comes out for the bunkers so at this end of the bag it doesn't really matter about the max distance i can hit them.

It is quite a tough subject to advise on, if I were you, i would go for the 50 & 56, if you are not going to test and they are going to be a cheaper set. That would give you your 6 degree gap between the clubs and hopefully give you some consistent gapping.
Unfortunately will be hard to work out until I've already bought some, haha.

To be fair I have had similar to you - I would expect to hit my old PW (which was around the same loft I believe) 120 yards, whereas my current Cleveland 50° goes about 100 yards on a solid contact. Leaving me a question mark when I need to go 110. And with these new Steelheads, if anything they're designed to go further, so on that basis I think I should probably get a 48 wedge in the bag.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, I know this sort of thing has been asked a hundred times, but this'll be the first time I've bought a set of wedges so want to get it right. And apologies in advance for the length. :D

I've recently bought Steelhead XR irons which are 5 to PW. I have a 50° gap wedge but I think I can still get 50 or 60 quid for selling it so I plan to do that and put it towards an actual pair or set of matching wedges.

The looked up the lofts on the Steelheads and they are really strong. Through the set they're as follows:
P
I'm a bit caught in two minds. I was thinking of just getting a pair that were 50 & 54 initially. Then I thought that's too big a gap from the 44 PW to the 50 gap - however going up through the irons gaps increase anyway. From 9 to P it's 5°, so following that on I'd be looking at a 49 & 54/55 maybe (but odd number wedges seem to be less common, so rounding up could even be 50 & 56?).

However, I often see from other people's bags in their signatures here that people seem to bring the gaps closer together at the wedge end. So I was considering maybe getting a set of three at 48/52/56 or something like that? I really don't know what would be best.

(Please note I already bankrupted myself getting the irons so fitting sessions and gapping sessions and the like are well off the table right now. I'm literally just wanting to pick up a second hand set of wedges here.)

I eco what Bob says.. lessons are better than wedges

However! when it comes to gapping . I like you found myself with OCD gapping last year.. my wedges went from P (43) to my gap (50) so I bought a 46 degree .. ended up stop carrying the 43... but now I carry the 43 and sold the 46

My pro explained whilst the lofts are cranked up the distance is the same.. they make the clubs forgiving which adds height so they reduce loft to balance it out and get the same result

so my 43 PW and my 50 gap (which is a vokey) are perfectly gapped... I go 54 and 58 after that.. prob don't need the 58 im better with the 54

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

View attachment 24143

Then practice

I'm not buying wedges 'to improve my short game' I just want to make sure I have the right tools to start with that's all. My old iron set had a sand wedge whereas this set doesn't, hence the need to get the right clubs in the bag.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

View attachment 24143

Then practice

Already working on it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not buying wedges 'to improve my short game' I just want to make sure I have the right tools to start with that's all. My old iron set had a sand wedge whereas this set doesn't, hence the need to get the right clubs in the bag.

Thats why I said get a 50 and a 56.

I'd be more concerned about the gaps at the other end of your bag

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d go with what you suggested yourself, 48/52/56 but make sure that the 56 has a minimum of 10* bounce if you intend to use it as your go to sand iron.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just buy a 56 to match the 50 you already have, hey presto a matching pair
That's going to cost me more though. Plan was to sell current GW for 50-60, buy two wedges in it's place for 60-70. Or three wedges for a touch more obviously. I was trying to take a cost effective route anyway.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That's going to cost me more though. Plan was to sell current GW for 50-60, buy two wedges in it's place for 60-70. Or three wedges for a touch more obviously. I was trying to take a cost effective route anyway.

Your current PW is 44 deg, that's your low wedge.
A 50 will be your medium wedge and the 56 your high wedge.
Why would you need any more?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your current PW is 44 deg, that's your low wedge.
A 50 will be your medium wedge and the 56 your high wedge.
Why would you need any more?
Yeah, I'd be quite happy to go down that route, that's what I was thinking initially and would be more cost effective clearly. That gapping is also pretty much in line with the other irons as I listed in the first post.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Here we go, yet another elitist question, but do you or does any 22 capper really have a requirement for such things ?

One has to be honest with themselves and not be kidding themselves on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here we go, yet another elitist question, but do you or does any 22 capper really have a requirement for such things ?

A requirement for what? Wedges? Probably? I don't really want to be hitting my pitching wedge out of a bunker. :mmm:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

i dont understand the question. why would the loft on the club be related to handicap? or have i read this wrong?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
i dont understand the question. why would the loft on the club be related to handicap? or have i read this wrong?

If you read the OP he's concerned about gappung issues....or that's how I've read it....cant say I've ever heard any 22 capper having gapping issues. It just seems to me all a bit fantasyful....but then maybe I've read the OP wrong.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you read the OP he's concerned about gappung issues....or that's how I've read it....cant say I've ever heard any 22 capper having gapping issues. It just seems to me all a bit fantasyful....but then maybe I've read the OP wrong.

i get ya. but at what point does it become relevant? the op might be great with his wedges!

even as a high handicaper it wouldn't be a good feeling knowing you have that gap in your bag. I'd even go as far as saying its more important for a high handicaper as they don't have the skill to work the clubs to fill the gap