Wear a glove or not ?

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So do you wear a glove and if not, why not ? And what about when it rains ?

Contextually, I have been suffering with a hand injury (thumb in particular) and doing no more than chip & putt for a few weeks.

With a 4BBB QF on Friday I have been knocking a few gentle full shots with an iron in the net in my garden (not wearing a glove) but today was the first venture onto a course and hit the full range of clubs.

Hit a few balls in the club net wearing a glove and had more pain than I would care for - removed glove and almost pain free.

Played without a glove for 9 holes which I have never done before and apart from being rusty and a bit tentative hacked it round ok.

Chatted to the club pro post round and he thought the glove I was using was ok and probably the extra grip was causing the problem - pain felt almost like the thumb got stretched as I swung particularly with the longer clubs.

Suggestion is cut the thumb off a glove for now perhaps - anyway need to hit a lot more balls between now and Friday to find my swing !

msbyrne

Visit site
So I'm a doctor and I would say if you're getting pain, glove or no glove, you shouldn't be playing at all. Rehab the injury with chips and putts etc. but don't push to a full swing until you can do it pain free. Nothing worse than prolonging an injury and little strains in fingers and thumbs can last a long time unless you leave them be a little while.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a couple but only ever put it on in a monsoon.

Hate the feeling of one on my hand. Doesn't even feel like its me holding the club when I do. Complete waste of time and money for me.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So I'm a doctor and I would say if you're getting pain, glove or no glove, you shouldn't be playing at all. Rehab the injury with chips and putts etc. but don't push to a full swing until you can do it pain free. Nothing worse than prolonging an injury and little strains in fingers and thumbs can last a long time unless you leave them be a little while.

Unfortunately have a deadline for the match and no extensions allowed (unless you are part of the "in crowd" which I am not) so hear what you are saying but needs must and will be taking it carefully but you also get a bit stir crazy especially at this time of the year.

msbyrne

Visit site
Unfortunately have a deadline for the match and no extensions allowed (unless you are part of the "in crowd" which I am not) so hear what you are saying but needs must and will be taking it carefully but you also get a bit stir crazy especially at this time of the year.

Well if I can't convince you otherwise I'd just say be smart about it and do what causes you least pain. Golf gloves are all about comfort and feel at the end of the day so play the way you feel best.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have never worn one as I don't see much point to them. Can't be bothered with the faffing about (on-off-on-off) and to be honest I have never lost a club during a swing either in the wet.

Now I know us gloveless types are in a small minority but no one has ever convinced me of any practical benefits in using one.

I never wear a cap either except when it's raining - to keep rain off my glasses - or if it's exceptionally sunny then I wear a straw hat to stop my face from being burnt.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I'm with Johnny Dee,
The only time I have lost grip on a club was with a glove in the rain
'Twas like gripping a bar of soap, 8 iron went off and arced into the middle of a stream and embedded itself in the silt , grip upwards looking like Excalibur.

Certainly provided a chortle moment for Imurg

So I'm a no glove guy, if I wear one it makes no difference to my shonky game

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I wear an all-weather FootJoy glove (one of the black ones). I used to take it off when chipping and putting but can't be bothered with that anymore. The gloves are really durable, good in wet weather.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wear a glove for every shot except on the putting green.

Glove comes off after every shot, goes back on before the next.

I get quite sweaty hands when I play so wearing a glove when I play a shot is a must.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On at the first, off at the end.

Big fan of two rain gloves if it's the slightest bit damp in the air.

Insulated winter gloves when it's chilly.