We all decided to walk off today...

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After 5 holes. The conditions were atrocious with high winds, heavy sideways rain etc. The course was only opened to play the 3rd round of our winter medley and it was closed before the last groups had even finished. We were 1 of a few groups that decided enough was enough as the course was unplayable and the damage we were causing by walking over it and playing seemed pointless. Everyone in our group was happy to call it a day.

As we were leaving we walked passed the handicap/comp secretary who was also playing but had played 9 and was in the halfway hut and he asked what we were doing. We said we'd had enough, to which he asked why and we jokingly replied because it's cold and wet and carried on walking. As I was walking away I heard him tut so I looked over my shoulder to see him staring at us shaking his head with the filthiest of looks on! I laughed it off to my mate at the time, but as the day has worn on I've got more and more annoyed about it and wished I walked back and asked him what his problem was. We'd paid our entrance fee like everyone else and weren't enjoying it. Us deciding we'd had enough doesn't affect him so why get annoyed? The course shouldn't have even been opened and it seemed like it was only open for the comp so they could get their 10 quid and not ave to go through the hassle of rearranging.

Half tempted to get in touch and speak to him, but I think perhaps it's a little petty.

Were we wrong? Am I missing something? Does he have a right to be annoyed?

D

Deleted member 15344

Think you are fully within your rights to walk off if conditions deteriorate

Wouldn't let it bother you mate

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree its your choice and the weather is darn good excuse, it supposed to be fun. Although I have heard our general manager and comp sec saying he wanted to reduce the number of non returns, whether there has been a secret mandate sent down from Congu central to reduce these I don't know.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I wouldn't let it bother you mate,if he wants to stay out in those conditions then good luck to him. I'd have definitely called it a day.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
After 5 holes. The conditions were atrocious with high winds, heavy sideways rain etc. The course was only opened to play the 3rd round of our winter medley and it was closed before the last groups had even finished. We were 1 of a few groups that decided enough was enough as the course was unplayable and the damage we were causing by walking over it and playing seemed pointless. Everyone in our group was happy to call it a day.

As we were leaving we walked passed the handicap/comp secretary who was also playing but had played 9 and was in the halfway hut and he asked what we were doing. We said we'd had enough, to which he asked why and we jokingly replied because it's cold and wet and carried on walking. As I was walking away I heard him tut so I looked over my shoulder to see him staring at us shaking his head with the filthiest of looks on! I laughed it off to my mate at the time, but as the day has worn on I've got more and more annoyed about it and wished I walked back and asked him what his problem was. We'd paid our entrance fee like everyone else and weren't enjoying it. Us deciding we'd had enough doesn't affect him so why get annoyed? The course shouldn't have even been opened and it seemed like it was only open for the comp so they could get their 10 quid and not ave to go through the hassle of rearranging.

Half tempted to get in touch and speak to him, but I think perhaps it's a little petty.

Were we wrong? Am I missing something? Does he have a right to be annoyed?

Er. Getting annoyed with him getting annoyed?

Seems like your withdrawal was quite reasonable! So don't be annoyed. In Winter, If it's not pleasant, then don't play is my view. Different in Summer, for me, when occasional 'trying conditions' can be part of the challenge!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would most likely walk off in those conditions too, but when playing in an official competition you should only walk off if injured. They could penalise you for walking off , I think ???.

D

Deleted member 17920

Golf is supposed to be fun at our level not an endurance test. If he takes it further and acts like an ass protest with your feet.
Totally agree, why bother carrying on if the conditions are so poor and you are simply not enjoying it,if all in the group are in agreement then get the hell of the course. I hate jumped up committee members.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Totally agree, why bother carrying on if the conditions are so poor and you are simply not enjoying it,if all in the group are in agreement then get the hell of the course. I hate jumped up committee members.

I 100% agree with this. Nobody says it is easy but far too many use it as a power trip and an excuse to try and order people around and puff out their chests.

G

guest100718

Looking out the window today I am surprised anyone went out!

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We walked off after 11 holes today and its the first time I've ever done it. Everything was soaked it was gale force winds and my hands were so cold I could barely hold the club so it just seemed pointless to continue.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You can always take him some grapes when he's laid up with pneumonia. Other than that I wouldn't even give it a 2nd thought... doubt he's sat at home bumping his gums about it.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Honest question to OP.

If you were level par [net] after 5 holes would you still have walked off ?

If your answer is no, then you will have left the course because you were playing poorly, nothing to do with the weather.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Honest question to OP.

If you were level par [net] after 5 holes would you still have walked off ?

If your answer is no, then you will have left the course because you were playing poorly, nothing to do with the weather.

I was no where near level par [net] so it is impossible to answer for me. I would like to think yes, as I was playing better than I had in a long time to be honest, but there really wasn't much enjoyment. My partner was level 2's and he was happy to call it a day.