We all decided to walk off today...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Rog but is only supposed to be used in exceptional circumstances (23.7) not on the evidence of a single game. I thought the poster was indicating a good score on one card, I may have read the post wrong.

Indeed, 23.7 specifies 'in exceptional circumstances....' and the intention of 23.10 was/is to establish a method of applying a consistent approach to 'additional' cuts.

But they are both under Clause 23 (Review of Handicaps), so DelC was not wrong about the Clause. Perhaps too vague about which sub-clause and 'by' should have been 'using' (or 'by applying'). Clause 23 also covers the Annual Review. Clause 23.10 doesn't apply in Scotland.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Generally speaking, being cold and wet, or having a bad round, is not a good enough excuse for walking off. As I said before, if the players felt that the course was unplayable or dangerous, they should have taken it up with the club committee rather than whinging about it on here!

Let's get something straight. I wasn't whinging about anything on here. My initial post was how I should respond to the Hanidcap / comp secretary's reaction to us all deciding enough was enough and if he had a right to react the way he did

I had already, and nobody seemed to look at it from the committees' point of view. Players not turning up for drawn competitions without any notice, or walking off the course for no particularly good reason, can cause all sorts of problems. If the OP is not happy with his committee, I would suggest that he stands for election at the next AGM, but I will warn him that it is not an easy job!

When you're not happy with your MP do you stand for his job? Just because I am unhappy with the way this situation has been handled doesn't mean I don't have a right to complain about it and perhaps offer some suggestions on how it can be avoided again. I fully understand that committee have a difficult job that they do in their spare time and for the good of the club. But that doesn't mean when they do something I don't agree with that my only option is to stand for election

Probably yes, but he should have written to the club committee about it.

Written to the club about what? Under the rules of golf I was disqualified from the competition. I have absolutely no problem with that. I DO however have a problem with the reaction of the Handicap / Comp secretary to my decision (as an adult) to call it a day and to then send out an email effectively telling us off for making that decision and trying to imply the rules of golf say you are to stay out on the course until the committee closes it or suspends play

If one is playing for fun, i.e. a purely recreational round, then very little problem in not starting or walking off if it's bit wet or something. Even then, if the course is fully booked, you might have deprived another group from having a round. However, in my book, if you are playing in a competition you should continue on until the course is officially closed by the committee or the club manager. You don't see people walking out of Open Championships because it's a bit wet underfoot!

I ALWAYS play golf for fun. Even in the club competitions, it's still about fun. Its not my job

I don't know if the committee actually invoked any sanctions against the OP and his playing group other than issuing a warning letter. If he is unhappy about this, he would probably have to write to the committee and put his case at their next meeting.

They haven't invoked any additional sanctions against me yet and if they did, I'd give them the middle finger and take my membership elsewhere. Under the rules of golf I was DQ'd from the comp, which is enough.

Essentially, if you play comps in the middle of Winter, you have to expect less than perfect conditions. You should wear suitably warm clothes and water-proofs if it's raining. Without being there, perhaps the committee should have cancelled or postponed the competition, but that would probably have upset other members who were keen to play. As I said, being on a committee is a no-win situation!

This is a completely irrelevant point and I'm not sure why you made it. I wasn't out in the rain in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. The course was unplayable (verging on unsafe), the weather was atrocious in terms of winds and heavy rain and getting worse as the round progressed. About 1 hour after I walked off with my group the entire comp was suspended anyway. But as per my OP this isn't even the reason I was annoyed. It was purely the reaction from the committee member as we left and then the subsequent email communications.

D

Deleted member 15344

It says blackballed under Delc's name - does that mean he has been kicked off here?

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having read this thread I have to say I'm thrilled that my club have a sensible and approachable committee. They cancelled a competition this weekend based on their assessment that is was not to competition standard. The course was still open and having played the course on Sunday I think the comp cancellation was the right decision - any posted scores would have been based far more on luck than skill. It seems to me some committees have a lot of hassle to deal with but it also seems apparent that a lot of the hassle can be mitigated by a common sense approach.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Lol....I couldn't possibly comment..........Richart is the Sherlock.......I'm just the Watson!! We need Sherlock on the case..
I have hung up my deerstalker for the time being.;) I also couldn't take delc seriously so never read his posts.:eek:

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Here's my 2 cents:

-Usually in my experience Committees do a lot of good but as with all walks of life you will get one or two jumped up pricks on them, I have come across many of them at golf clubs and have left clubs and socities over them.
-I would have walked off in the same situation, honestly I probably would not have lasted as long as you or might not have even went out and if one of these jumped up little pricks had said something to me or shook his head at me, I would not have been able to control myself and would have told him exactly what I thought of him, so I commend you for walking away.
-If I had received that email I would send it straight back informing them that no-one and I mean NO-ONE, will tell me when I can and cannot walk off a golf course, that I have paid a membership fee to use and paid to play in said comp, unless the course is closing.
-We all play golf because we love doing so, not because we have to, we spend thousands of pounds every year on equipment, membership fees, green fees, insurance, socitiety memberships, pro shops and bar levys because we support the game and want to keep it alive in tough times, if you want to walk off one time because you and the weather are miserable then you have every right to do so.