We all decided to walk off today...

D

Deleted member 15344

Probably yes, but he should have written to the club committee about it.

Why ? He has no need to write to the committee to tell them they decide to walk off due to extremely poor weather conditions

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Indeed they did. Apalling weather conditions, at our level playing the game for FUN nobody should feel forced to carry on in those conditions
If one is playing for fun, i.e. a purely recreational round, then very little problem in not starting or walking off if it's bit wet or something. Even then, if the course is fully booked, you might have deprived another group from having a round. However, in my book, if you are playing in a competition you should continue on until the course is officially closed by the committee or the club manager. You don't see people walking out of Open Championships because it's a bit wet underfoot! :mmm:

D

Deleted member 15344

If one is playing for fun, i.e. a purely recreational round, then very little problem in not starting or walking off if it's bit wet or something. Even then, if the course is fully booked, you might have deprived another group from having a round. However, in my book, if you are playing in a competition you should continue on until the course is officially closed by the committee or the club manager. You don't see people walking out of Open Championships because it's a bit wet underfoot! :mmm:

The Open Championship is massively different from a club comp. Chalk and Cheese

The whole groups deemed the conditions unplayable and possibly against health and safety - walking in was their choice and they have no need to answer to anyone.

I do believe you possibly maybe going against the masses here for reasons unknown.

The problem in this thread isn't the walking off but the attitude displayed by the member of the committee and the way one person spoke to them :thup:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why ? He has no need to write to the committee to tell them they decide to walk off due to extremely poor weather conditions

I don't know if the committee actually invoked any sanctions against the OP and his playing group other than issuing a warning letter. If he is unhappy about this, he would probably have to write to the committee and put his case at their next meeting. :mmm:

Last edited:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site

They are playing for £££££££. Add to the fact it was more than a bit wet underfoot as per the OP. Also the general thought seemed to be that the course should have been closed anyway and weather conditions were getting worse all the time. To get a snotty email from the club is bang out of order IMO and to would have been more than miffed by it and would have had a few choice words to say to the powers that be!!

D

Deleted member 17920

Are you for real, i guess you are one of the jumped up committe members we all think are power crazy!!!!! we play this game for enjoyment, it's not a job or a matter of life or death, the whole group walked off because they had had enough and was in all agreement, no one got hurt, no one died and nothing should ever have been said after the event either.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
He walked off for a very good reason :thup:

Lets put it all in to perspective. He didn't walk of for a very good reason he walked off because he and his FC felt that the enjoyment factor had gone out of the round due to the weather which is fair enough with me and should also be considered fair enough by the by any reasonable committee.

My only criticism of some of the posts is the continual committee bashing. Committees are like referees, you need them for the game to be organised and for you all to moan to when you feel like it. If you have a problem with a committee or any of its members (who mostly are only there because nobody else wants to do it) volunteer next year to assist and become a committee member.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Are you for real, i guess you are one of the jumped up committe members we all think are power crazy!!!!! we play this game for enjoyment, it's not a job or a matter of life or death, the whole group walked off because they had had enough and was in all agreement, no one got hurt, no one died and nothing should ever have been said after the event either.
As I said earlier, if you don't like your committee, then stand against them at the next AGM. But remember that most of them do a thankless task for no reward, and don't do it if you like to be liked!:)

D

Deleted member 17920

As I said earlier, if you don't like your committee, then stand against them at the next AGM. But remember that most of them do a thankless task for no reward, and don't do it if you like to be liked!:)
I have been on the committee for 15 years and strangely enough we don't get many issues because common sense is used. And as for it been thankless I totally disagree with that as we get plenty of thanks because we do a good job. You can't please everyone I know but we do a good job on the whole.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Boy, Oh Boy, do some people take Club Golf a bit too seriously or what?
Have they committed a crime, have they defaulted on their mortgages, crashed their cars, lost their jobs, been declared bankrupt, been diagnosed with a serious illness...?
These are serious things in life....walking off a golf course during a competition being held in pouring rain and on sodden slippery ground is not serious - it's a bloody good idea!
We play this game for fun, for exercise, for the Camaraderie - it is not as serious, as these "Suits" seem to think it is.
There would be no chance of me receiving a message like that at my place - that's one of the reasons I play there.
If, as players, we decide that enough is enough and the course is unplayable then we walk in.
Back in December Fragger and me waited on the 10th tee for 5 minutes while a Hailstorm blew through. My mate had already called it a day, we waited another couple of minutes and walked in.

This is not Professional or Semi-Professional Golf - this is totally Amateur Club Golf, something more people need to remember when looking at things from behind the "Authorities" table....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Probably yes, but he should have written to the club committee about it.

What! Before he/they withdrew?

And 'after' he didn't actually get much of a chance before the Committee wrote to him with their 'decision'!

I, and I'd suggest the vast majority on here, would agree that simply walking off because of a bad round or a touch of inclement weather on an otherwise fine day is 'bad form'. But the conditions were obviously dire, as the subsequent closure and the admission that it was arguable whether it should have been open in the first place demonstrate.

As for seeing it from the Committee's point of view or standing yourself, I believe getting committees to make the correct decisions in the first place is far better than removing folk that want to do the job (and it can have its benefits) rather than those that are only there because of the incompetence/poor decisions of others. Sure, there's effort required to reschedule cancelled comps etc, but that's part of the 'job' and, had the course not been closed, then there would/should have been procedures to handle the withdrawals - if not, then that again demonstrates the incompetence of the (perhaps previous) Committee! Just because something requires effort doesn't mean it shouldn't be done!

Nope! still a ridiculous message and, possibly worse, a ridiculous attempt to justify it! I've been a contributor to Committee-itis myself in the past, but this example is right up there with the silliest of them!

Whether the OP takes it further or not is really up to him though. Perhaps a poll?:D

I don't know if the committee actually invoked any sanctions against the OP and his playing group other than issuing a warning letter. If he is unhappy about this, he would probably have to write to the committee and put his case at their next meeting. :mmm:

Which demonstrates that you either didn't read the thread - as you stated you had. Or you didn't absorb what you read!

You don't see people walking out of Open Championships because it's a bit wet underfoot! :mmm:

Actually, there have been instances where equivalent has happened - Sandy Lyle's cold hands being the one that springs immediately to mind!

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have been on the committee for 15 years and strangely enough we don't get many issues because common sense is used. And as for it been thankless I totally disagree with that as we get plenty of thanks because we do a good job. You can't please everyone I know but we do a good job on the whole.
In my time on a committee we had to deal with two cases of alleged cheating and with members who persistently failed to turn up for drawn comps or walked off the course during them. I was the comp sec for a while because I failed to jump out of the way quickly enough when the jobs were being allocated. Although I always did a totally random draw for competitions, other than for players who requested early or late starting times, I was always being accused of favoritism because I had paired a committee member with one of his mates, or because I had paired a member with somebody he didn't like playing with. Basically a no win job! :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17920

Boy, Oh Boy, do some people take Club Golf a bit too seriously or what?
Have they committed a crime, have they defaulted on their mortgages, crashed their cars, lost their jobs, been declared bankrupt, been diagnosed with a serious illness...?
These are serious things in life....walking off a golf course during a competition being held in pouring rain and on sodden slippery ground is not serious - it's a bloody good idea!
We play this game for fun, for exercise, for the Camaraderie - it is not as serious, as these "Suits" seem to think it is.
There would be no chance of me receiving a message like that at my place - that's one of the reasons I play there.
If, as players, we decide that enough is enough and the course is unplayable then we walk in.
Back in December Fragger and me waited on the 10th tee for 5 minutes while a Hailstorm blew through. My mate had already called it a day, we waited another couple of minutes and walked in.

This is not Professional or Semi-Professional Golf - this is totally Amateur Club Golf, something more people need to remember when looking at things from behind the "Authorities" table....
Finally :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Post of the day, I total agree with you all the way. This game is supposed to be fun.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Although I always did a totally random draw for competitions, other than for players who requested early or late starting times, I was always being accused of favoritism because I had paired a committee member with one of his mates, or because I had paired a member with somebody he didn't like playing with. Basically a no win job! :(

The obvious response is to invite him to attend the Draw!

Did you suggest he stand for The Committee at the next AGM?:whistle:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Essentially, if you play comps in the middle of Winter, you have to expect less than perfect conditions. You should wear suitably warm clothes and water-proofs if it's raining. Without being there, perhaps the committee should have cancelled or postponed the competition, but that would probably have upset other members who were keen to play. As I said, being on a committee is a no-win situation! :(

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Essentially, if you play comps in the middle of Winter, you have to expect less than perfect conditions. You should wear suitably warm clothes and water-proofs if it's raining. Without being there, perhaps the committee should have cancelled or postponed the competition, but that would probably have upset other members who were keen to play. As I said, being on a committee is a no-win situation! :(

Twaddle!

The course got closed shortly afterwards - clothing wasn't the issue! Are you sure you are not a member of that committee?

And there is no need for a Committee to 'Win'. The best ones are never even noticed!