We all decided to walk off today...

backspin22

Club Champion
Visit site
I agree that not finishing around in a club where comp. places are oversubscribed is a bit naughty. At my place not turning up, which incurs a heavy fine, is much more serious.
Why? Because it lets someone else down! The golden rule of golf is consideration for others. If you walk off in the middle of a round and don't spoil someone else's round/day, so what? You obviously have to sound out your partners before doing so. I have walked off a few times, because of weather or lack of enjoyment but I have never left anyone in the lurch. If all players want to go, then fine!
Victimless crimes should not be punished.
I also think the general play rule is not used enough....people who are playing well should be cut more often, regardless of how many holes they play.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If the course was closed shortly afterwards, walking in was a given, in the conditions. When it is obviously rubbish conditions, when the comp will obviously be cancelled, when the course will obviously be closed, when walking in will obviously not affect your playing partners, or anyone else, call it a day. Why not?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Twaddle!

The course got closed shortly afterwards - clothing wasn't the issue! Are you sure you are not a member of that committee?

And there is no need for a Committee to 'Win'. The best ones are never even noticed!

There are often awkward decisions to be made that may not please everybody! :)

D

Deleted member 15344

Boy, Oh Boy, do some people take Club Golf a bit too seriously or what?
Have they committed a crime, have they defaulted on their mortgages, crashed their cars, lost their jobs, been declared bankrupt, been diagnosed with a serious illness...?
These are serious things in life....walking off a golf course during a competition being held in pouring rain and on sodden slippery ground is not serious - it's a bloody good idea!
We play this game for fun, for exercise, for the Camaraderie - it is not as serious, as these "Suits" seem to think it is.
There would be no chance of me receiving a message like that at my place - that's one of the reasons I play there.
If, as players, we decide that enough is enough and the course is unplayable then we walk in.
Back in December Fragger and me waited on the 10th tee for 5 minutes while a Hailstorm blew through. My mate had already called it a day, we waited another couple of minutes and walked in.

This is not Professional or Semi-Professional Golf - this is totally Amateur Club Golf, something more people need to remember when looking at things from behind the "Authorities" table....

1 nil to you - end of game , match over , back on the net -please read and digest Delc

great Post :clap:

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Generally speaking, being cold and wet, or having a bad round, is not a good enough excuse for walking off. As I said before, if the players felt that the course was unplayable or dangerous, they should have taken it up with the club committee rather than whinging about it on here! :mmm:

How do you take it up with the committee when you are out on the course?
I don't have the committee on speed dial

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How do you take it up with the committee when you are out on the course?
I don't have the committee on speed dial
You can make the committee, or a representative of them such as the club pro or manager, aware of the problem as soon as you return to the clubhouse. I think the OP's problem/complaint was receiving a threatening email after the event. :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There are often awkward decisions to be made that may not please everybody! :)

Often? Occasionally perhaps (if it works properly). And in those situation, the Committee isn't 'winning' or 'losing' anyway - it is making a decision that it recognises won't please everybody. Hopefully, the 'win' (if you must have one, which I take issue with) for the Committee is actually making the best decision! I repeat; there is no need for a Committee to 'Win' or 'Lose'! Except perhaps where the legal bloodsuckers get involved!

I'm afraid your apparent inability to recognise that you can be wrong should disqualify you from this sort of discussion!

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Essentially, if you play comps in the middle of Winter, you have to expect less than perfect conditions. You should wear suitably warm clothes and water-proofs if it's raining. Without being there, perhaps the committee should have cancelled or postponed the competition, but that would probably have upset other members who were keen to play. As I said, being on a committee is a no-win situation! :(

Nothing to do with clothing. Why do you have to look for angles. They had the gear on, the course was unplayable, potentially dangerous and they weren't enjoying it. I would do exactly the same in a similar situation. In fact I have. Played our fourth and the ten feet putt travelled three feet. I'd already taken relief to the driest part of the green. We all walked in. Funnily enough that comp was cancelled not long after. Not a word from the committee. Common sense prevailed all round

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can make the committee, or a representative of them such as the club pro or manager, aware of the problem as soon as you return to the clubhouse. I think the OP's problem/complaint was receiving a threatening email after the event. :)

You obviously haven't read the OP. In the OP they passed the handicap/comp sec. In passing they told him why they were walking off so technically they did report to the committee and made him aware of why they were walking in. The OP knows the reason for walking in would not be acceptable to a committee but that's were the DQ comes in and he was happy to accept this.

Funnily enough this committee member was in the half way hut and unless he was on a flying visit to purchase something he was at risk of breaking the rules himself.

The actual initial complaint though, was about the attitude of the committee member while they were walking past. The email from the club etc are all fall out.

So in conclusion YOU have not read the OP. You are jumping in half way through to argue for arguments sake. Something becoming all to common when I see your name attached to a post.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you decide to walk off , all you say is I / we feel sick [ of this ] which is true or have imaginary toothache as some pros have said.
But it's the same rules for everyone,:confused:

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To the OP. I understand your annoyance. I have recently taken up a role on the committee. I think it is easy for committee members to forget that they are there to serve the members...not the other way around. We play for fun. With due consideration for your FC, it was no longer fun..you walked off. Seems a rational decision to me.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I and my fellow competitors have walked off in similar circumstances and would do again. Generally it's been when the greens are flooding and you can't putt and no one from the committee either makes a decision or arn't around. I have served on the golf committee and wouldn't consider rollicking anyone for doing that in such conditions and I certainly wouldn't write to anyone about walking off, especially when the comp was cancelled mid round, they do leave themselves wide open to ridicule doing such things!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think the OP's problem/complaint was receiving a threatening email after the event. :)

A "threatening" email????
I hardly call that a threatening email.
Just a gentle reminder of the "rules".
Certainly wouldn't have me threatening to leave a club.
I'd just file it under B1N and log it in the memory banks for next time