Waving through

D

Deleted member 29109

What's the general etiquette with letting people play through if you're in a comp? Some of the older members in our club don't wave people through if they're in a comp, even at the conclusion of a hole.

Others allow it no problem though..

Doesn’t matter to me. If you are slow, let people through.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What's the general etiquette with letting people play through if you're in a comp? Some of the older members in our club don't wave people through if they're in a comp, even at the conclusion of a hole.

Our club advice is quite simple. You must call through the group behind if you have lost position, normally deemed as losing a hole on the group in front. That includes comps

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A few years back we had to read the riot act to some of the women who had decided because Tuesday morning was "their morning", they didn't have to ever let anyone through. They had a few fourballs out that took five hours to play a short 18 hole course and there was almost carnage and fights behind them with queues of golfers around the course. Some people just think they are above any rules or regulation.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

The etiquette in some clubs is that you get priority on the course if your group is playing a match. That does not mean that you don’t have to let through a faster group regardless of whether they are playing a match or not.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Asking in genuine naivety, I played on Monday as a single, ahead of me was a single > 2-ball > seniors 4-ball, no idea what was ahead of that. Pace of play was slow, I was being caught by a 3-ball. I asked the single ahead if he was planning to play through the 2-ball and his response was "Uhhh there's no point as there's a 4-ball ahead' and off he walked, clearly not wanting to engage in conversation, and then kept his head down avoiding eye contact and conversation whenever we were queued waiting to tee off.

I feel like my response should have been "So play through the 4-ball too?" But what actually happened was he walked away before I could say anything, so I just continued to plod along behind, standing with my hands on my hips for however long before I could play each shot.

Anything else I could/should have done? Was the guy in front right to not play through? It's so frustrating adding anywhere between 30-90mins to a round for (in my opinion) no good reason!

D

Deleted member 18121

Asking in genuine naivety, I played on Monday as a single, ahead of me was a single > 2-ball > seniors 4-ball, no idea what was ahead of that. Pace of play was slow, I was being caught by a 3-ball. I asked the single ahead if he was planning to play through the 2-ball and his response was "Uhhh there's no point as there's a 4-ball ahead' and off he walked, clearly not wanting to engage in conversation, and then kept his head down avoiding eye contact and conversation whenever we were queued waiting to tee off.

I feel like my response should have been "So play through the 4-ball too?" But what actually happened was he walked away before I could say anything, so I just continued to plod along behind, standing with my hands on my hips for however long before I could play each shot.

Anything else I could/should have done? Was the guy in front right to not play through? It's so frustrating adding anywhere between 30-90mins to a round for (in my opinion) no good reason!

I don't think there is ever a one size fits all answer.

Maybe he didn't want to play through and was happy with finish whenever he finished.... reading between the lines of your comment, did you feel like you wanted to join him and make a 2 ball up? Because again if I'm out playing as a single I might have other stuff going on in my life and not want to make idle chat with a stranger for X hours....

Personally I'll always offer a group through that's right up my behind as I'd rather make them someone's elses problem if they're pushing. But quite often people use common sense and can see a course is backed up with nowhere to go and just make the best of the situation.

No point getting wound up stressed by it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I’d have said ’well you don’t seem to be in any great rush so you won’t mind letting me through and I’ll see if I can get through them’.

Last edited:

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
I don't think there is ever a one size fits all answer.

Maybe he didn't want to play through and was happy with finish whenever he finished.... reading between the lines of your comment, did you feel like you wanted to join him and make a 2 ball up? Because again if I'm out playing as a single I might have other stuff going on in my life and not want to make idle chat with a stranger for X hours....

Personally I'll always offer a group through that's right up my behind as I'd rather make them someone's elses problem if they're pushing. But quite often people use common sense and can see a course is backed up with nowhere to go and just make the best of the situation.

No point getting wound up stressed by it.

No wasn't looking to join up, was just looking to play at a reasonable pace. I'm pretty rubbish so certainly at the minute prefer to play solo or with friends who are understanding of that.

I’d have said ’well you don’t seem to be in any great rush so you won’t mind letting me through and I’ll see if I can get through them’.

Think you've hit the nail on the head to be honest I just didn't quite think/get chance to say that before the bloke in front scuttled off. Next time!