Waterproofs

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So todays weather seems to be on and off, its either clear or hammering it down.

As I'm playing tomorrow, i am tempted to buy some waterproofs just incase. I dont really want to spend a lot... but should i?

Any one know which ones to buy?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Without a doubt Galvin Green, expensive but THE BEST you will buy.

Try a search on here, along with balls and gps' it comes up regularly.....

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you play regularly or do other outside stuff, Galvin is the way. If not, then you have a wealth to choose from...ProQuip, FootJoy, Nike, Stuburt, Benross.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played this morning in our Summer Solstice Comp, at 5.30am, (Shotgun start), and it was hammering down.

I was wearing a pair of Regatta Walking overtrousers, (£20), and an old-ish ProQuip jacket,.......the trousers were equaly as good as anything out there, not a hint of water getting in, but the jacket was less than water-'proof', and if it werent for my brolley on Powakaddy, i'd have been soaked.

So......maybe I should either buy a Regatta jacket too, or a ice 'ultra-trendy' and comfortable Galvin Green jacket, and say goodbye to £200+ !!

You pays' yer money........

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Went out in a honours board blues medal today. It hammered down for about half of it on and off.

Wore full waterproofs and wore a pair of MacWets gloves

Shot 39 points and came second, 1.5 handicap cut coming up as the CSS is about 74!

Mine are just some generic make, called Cypress Point.

Very nice, nor hardy but do the job. I got a 3 piece set, trousers, rain jacket and wind cheater long sleeves.

Can wear all 3 to be warm and dry, or just two to be dry.

I do recommend the MacWet gloves, keep em on for putting too if its raining as they are a b****r to take off an put on again when your 1st to tee off (which I was on practically every hole today!).

Just get what is in your budget, durability and quality wise you generally get what you pay for. Mine have done well, were not cheap but not a big name so didn't pay for the brand.

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
No, No, No...please stop with the Galvin Green drivel.
They are very good waterproofs, but they are not 'get what you pay for'
They are 'get what you vastly overpay for so you look flash for your mates'
Other brands such as Sunderland/Proquip are just as effective.
Just looked at onlinegolf, Galvin Green suit £330 quid. compared to the sunderland at £149 are any of you really going to stand there and tell me that a GG suit is twice as effective as a sunderland suit!
Bullshit. It's just brand label snobbery.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Just looked at onlinegolf, Galvin Green suit £330 quid. compared to the sunderland at £149 are any of you really going to stand there and tell me that a GG suit is twice as effective as a sunderland suit!

Must admit a I agree. i got a ProQuip suit last year, same as the ones used at the Ryder Cup for £125. What extra do you get for the £200 ? :D :D

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Ping rain proofs are worth a look they come in a three piece, trousers, jacket, & flat cap :)

I have an amazing Nike top for light rain and drizzle it is thinner and lighter than a bin liner but is very strong & keeps me dry and warm in anything but heavy rain. (very useful if you carry to save weight)

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk

We had a 36 hole open last Sunday.... remember the weather? Yes, everyone was soaked. Mate of mine was trying to dry his shirt out with the hand dryer which was comical..... oh and yes he had been kitted out with "the best" Galvins. Totally agree. Could buy two sets of decent waterproofs for the same price.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site

utter pish unless you buy as soon as you see something. With some pricing Galvin Green is as cheap as all the others.

My Ga;vin jacket had an RRP of £399 and was £389 in Function 18 last year. I got it for £169 off my pro.

Andy

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Never even considered buying Galvin Green. I just cannot see the justification for the obscene price.
I am more than happy with my Sunderland kit. The jacket is very quiet throughout the swing and the trousers fit well and are fully waterproof and breathable.

I hate wearing waterproofs and only usually put them on when it's coming down a fair bit.

Prior to golf I was a very keen angler and had a set of Van Den Eynde gortex waterproofs. Dear as hell, good quality, light, very waterproof and breathable. I used to wear the bottoms all the time regardless of the weather as I wasn't too keen on the jeans getting covered in fish slime. (neither was HID)

The fishing gear was expensive, but I used to sit out in all weather for hours on end.
At least with golf you're only out in the rain for around 4 hours.

dangermouse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a sunderland suit, and also a galvin green one i bought when flush with cash a the end of last season.

The Galvin outfit is without a doubt worth the extra cost - it is much more lightweight and flexible, and as a result much easier to play in. Its also much better at resisting water (I'll play in any weather).

However, I would seriously look at the Nike waterproofs if i were buying some today - they appear to be excellent quality and look the part and are a lot less than galvins price wise.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Proquip of FJ for me. Much cheaper than GG and have never let me down even in terrible conditions like yesterday. I don't get too hot in them, they fit perfectly, I can swing with ease. What do I get for my extra cash with GG that makes them so good. Put another way, why don't all the tour pros with their choice of gear to wear use them more?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

It's funny how this 'argument' never gets translated to any other form of golf equipment. I don't see many posts saying forget buying a Titleist 910 driver as they are not three times as good as a Benross driver.

Brand snobbery is plastered all over golf, so let's not pick the predictable targets such as GG by wheeling out the old, 'they ain't worth twice price', line. GG continually win golf waterproof tests. So you can argue that they are priced to reflect their status. If someone wants to pay that price, fair enough. If they don't then, again, fair enough.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Galvin green uses goretex same as many others. Are they any better? How can they be? The basic material is the same. I bought Sunderland goretex trousers for 50 quid. Galvins were 200 plus. Can't see why I would pay 150 more for a label.
Their jackets are not cut for my physique. Nike are, so I bought a Nike jacket. It does the job. I have two foot joy jackets, they are fine too.

Don't get the love in for galvin. Massively over priced.