warm up's

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys. I was just wondering if any of you know any warm ups (I dont mean sit up, pull ups etc) Just something simple that I could do before getting onto the 1st tee at 7.30 on a Saturday morning, just to get the body in the mindset for playing golf? I dont have time for hitting balls but surley there are other ways. I would like to hear some view's.

B

birdieman

swing 2 clubs held together to warm and stretch the muscles a bit. Then do some basic stretches for hamstrings, shoulders and back.
That'll take a couple of minutes in the carpark.

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
swing 2 clubs held together to warm and stretch the muscles a bit. Then do some basic stretches for hamstrings, shoulders and back.
That'll take a couple of minutes in the carpark.

This is exactly what I do if there isn't a range to warm up on.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 rolls and suasage with potato scone and a cup of tea then rush on to the tee 3 minutes before I am due to tee off and still expect to shoot a good score. I am now thinking that my warm up may be flawed.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
2 rolls and suasage with potato scone and a cup of tea then rush on to the tee 3 minutes before I am due to tee off and still expect to shoot a good score. I am now thinking that my warm up may be flawed.

Very flawed. Coffee will wake you up more ;)

B

birdieman

We have a fairly easy par 5 as our opening hole, a very good chance for a birdie if you can hit 2 decent shots yet every time I come away with yet another 6 the words 'I should have had a warm up' invariably spring to mind!
Had my first 9 holes yesterday after my slipped disc 23 days ago - paying for it a little today but back seems ok, just glad to be out again. Couldn't get the ball off the tee but the irons shots and short game were pretty decent considering. Not going near a competiton for a while yet though. 9 holes will do for now!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree with the 2 club routine. I also put a club behind my head and turn to get the feeling of my shoulders rotating properly. I also try and take a few realistic practice swings to get a feeling for tempo etc.

At then end of the day there is no substitute for get out and hitting a bucket of balls wroking progressively through the clubs.

I'd also suggest even if you can't hit any balls that you should stretch and at least go and hit a few putts

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
I always ruin the warm up by having to spend 3 quarters of an hour on the bog.....by the time I get to the club, up a massive hill, I'm busting and I hate getting caught out there mid round. My warm is now something like - crack knuckles, crack shoulders, bend knees, blow me nose and hit. Tell you what though - I nearly always hit a straight one off the first!

OldWindy

Q-School Graduate
www.fronhaul-aberdovey.co.uk
Bending and stretching all the golf muscles is a good start. put a club across your shoulders (front and back) and pivot around your spine, back to target then facing it again. Swinging a couple of clubs together is very good, too. When you do this make sure you complete the turn both ways; and start gently. Personally, I like to hit some balls either on the practice ground or in the nets, time permitting. HTH

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have a fairly easy par 5 as our opening hole, a very good chance for a birdie if you can hit 2 decent shots yet every time I come away with yet another 6 the words 'I should have had a warm up' invariably spring to mind!

Be happy that you dont have a Par 3 as an opener, a 6 would be more desasterous :cool:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a heavy iron bar with a grip on the end. Swing that a few times holding at the top of the backswing and at the end of the follow through and I am ready to go. Was given the tip bused by the person fitting my clubs who used it to warm up customers before a fitting and he even gave me the iron bar when I went to collect my clubs.

D

Deleted member 1147

Rather than taking an iron bar to the course each week I tend to warm up by steadily swinging a wedge at first - has the heaviest head!

Then I use my rescue (fairly heavy head) and have a few good lashes!

Only after I've had a good stretch of course!!

Plus a Snicker for energy!!

B

birdieman

Be thankful your first hole isn't 229 yard par 3 (pond left, bunkers left and right)

A good 6 iron set off right with a touch of draw to keep away from that pond then Homer, easy? Wish our opener was as easy!

Our first has a horrible 2 tier green, flag is always just at edge of top tier, never easy.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
229 yard 6 iron birdieman, do you hit like a monster?

I swing 2 clubs together when warming up. And if my back is stiff i may even do 3 and old the clubs at the top of the back swing, tehn let them drop down(like over swing) so it really stretchs the back.

I find the advantage of this also, is when you swing one club afterwards, it feels so light.

I then stick the club on the shoulders and concentrate on rotation, then a few practice swings.

If there is a range, i will normally try knock out 20-30 balls.

Do some chipping and putting too if i have time!

DCB

Visit site
"2 rolls and suasage with potato scone and a cup of tea"

Now there are a couple of variations on this which can have an important effect on the golf swing.
1) Is the Sausage Square or Links ?
2) Sauce ! Brown or Red ? This will have an effect dependant on 1) above.

Square Sausage tends to accept sauce better than Links so the sauce does not run out the side of the roll too easily.
Links Sausages have a nice channel between them and this allows the sauce to run out from between the sausage and onto ones nice golf jumper.

How does this affect the warm up ? well, when the sauce runs onto the jumper, the participant in this exotic quisine will usually jump up and flap their arm about in a furious manner (usually directed at the offending sauce) thus loosening up the muscles in the shoulders and upper arms. It is about this time, one of the flapping arms will knock the cup with the tepid tea in it, and displace the tea all over the participants trouser leg.

This brings us on to the second part of the warm up. The participant will now be standing on one leg furiously flapping at the tea stained trouser leg. After a minute of this the stance is changed to the other leg and the sequence repeated.

This has managed to raise the heart rate considerably (and also raised the cholesterol level, but this is Scotland !) the muscles in the back, shoulders, arms and legs have all been given a workout and as an added bonus, one has been able to practice the necessary language skills required for that missed 18" putt on the first.

Who says golfers are not fit!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hold both ends of a club, with my arms outstretched and bend forwards as far down as I can go bending at the hips and backwards also. I then just make a few upper body rotations and shoulder turns, whilst making intermittent practice swings. Works for me.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I tend to snigger and sigh as the person teeing off before me addresses his ball and then as he swings i cough loudly....after being chased round the car-park a couple of times , i normally feel warmed up enough to play :)