Walking off after abuse

Rhinogs

Visit site
Dear all, during a local club 4 ball match, a fellow team member chose to fire insults at me because I delayed helping him look for his ball. Then, on the next hole he ignored my honour on the putting green, butting in mid putt to take his own. I apologised to other players told him he was out of order then picked up my ball and walked off the course.
Did I have a case in the rules of golf?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no obligation to look for another player's ball.
If he played out of (his sides) turn you may require him to replay in turn.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think you overreacted.
Yes your playing partner was behaving like a knob but consider the other two players who now don't have a match.

Play the match out and then have a word with either the offender or your team captain or both.

D

Deleted member 15344

Dear all, during a local club 4 ball match, a fellow team member chose to fire insults at me because I delayed helping him look for his ball. Then, on the next hole he ignored my honour on the putting green, butting in mid putt to take his own. I apologised to other players told him he was out of order then picked up my ball and walked off the course.

What exactly is it you are looking for ?‍♂️

It’s your partner not the opposition and you walked off ?‍♂️ Your partner will have had to play them on his own

D

Deleted member 29109

Was the person insulting you, your partner? And what was said that was so bad to make you walk?

There must be more to the story.

Did you have a case for what? What are you hoping there is a rule for?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

If he's your fellow team member, and it's a team competition, then surely it's the team's honour; so how can he butt in?

A case for what if he's your team mate?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think most of us play golf to meet decent like minded folk.Unfortunately not all golfers are decent minded folk. ☹️

Rhinogs

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to respond to the points raised.
It was best two from 4 so it would have played best 2 from 3 after I left
The insults were bullying and aggressive behaviour.
What I'm after is to know if my actions to walk off would be considered acceptable under the circumstances
Yes, there's a story, but not much more flesh to add to the bone beyond what has been said. He had no right to be so aggressive or try to bully his play into mine.
Butting in was ignoring my play and just going to his ball, lining up and putting in between mine. I had putt and was putting out when her just cut across me.
I'm seeking advice on golf etiquette and whether my departure was justified under ther circumstances. Does a rule cover etiquette and respect for others in the same group?

Rhinogs

Visit site
I think you overreacted.
Yes your playing partner was behaving like a knob but consider the other two players who now don't have a match.

Play the match out and then have a word with either the offender or your team captain or both.
Fair point, but why spend any more time with a knob as you say? I have a life and no time for knobs

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to respond to the points raised.
It was best two from 4 so it would have played best 2 from 3 after I left
The insults were bullying and aggressive behaviour.
What I'm after is to know if my actions to walk off would be considered acceptable under the circumstances
Yes, there's a story, but not much more flesh to add to the bone beyond what has been said. He had no right to be so aggressive or try to bully his play into mine.
Butting in was ignoring my play and just going to his ball, lining up and putting in between mine. I had putt and was putting out when her just cut across me.
I'm seeking advice on golf etiquette and whether my departure was justified under ther circumstances. Does a rule cover etiquette and respect for others in the same group?

Well it must be one hell of a story if the other 2 team members were prepared to let him behave like that and lose a player.

https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Behaviour-on-the-Course

Player Conduct and Spirit of the Game
It is one of the central principles of the game of golf that players play by the Rules and in the spirit of the game. Rule 1.2 is an important Rule in the Rules of Golf as it details the conduct that is expected of all players and what is meant by spirit of the game.

Rule 1.2 reads as follows:

“All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:

• Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.
  • Showing consideration to others – for example, by playing at a prompt pace, looking out for the safety of others, and not distracting the play of another player.
  • Taking good care of the course– for example, by replacing divots, smoothing bunkers, repairing ball-marks, and not causing unnecessary damage to the course.
There is no penalty under the Rules for failing to act in this way, except that the Committee may disqualify a player for acting contrary to the spirit of the game if it finds that the player has committed serious misconduct.

Penalties other than disqualification may be imposed for player misconduct only if those penalties are adopted as part of a Code of Conduct under Rule 1.2b."

Depending on what EXACTLY went on, you could possibly get him disqualified and reduce the team score to the best 2 from 2, but I'm not sure what that will achieve. :unsure:

What did the other 2 members of the team say when you walked off?

D

Deleted member 29109

Seems fair enough if all was as said.

Life is too short to spend time with idiots. Especially if they are on your team. Chalk it down to experience and put it behind you.

Rhinogs

Visit site
Well it must be one hell of a story if the other 2 team members were prepared to let him behave like that and lose a player.

https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Behaviour-on-the-Course

Player Conduct and Spirit of the Game
It is one of the central principles of the game of golf that players play by the Rules and in the spirit of the game. Rule 1.2 is an important Rule in the Rules of Golf as it details the conduct that is expected of all players and what is meant by spirit of the game.

Rule 1.2 reads as follows:

“All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:

• Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.
  • Showing consideration to others – for example, by playing at a prompt pace, looking out for the safety of others, and not distracting the play of another player.
  • Taking good care of the course– for example, by replacing divots, smoothing bunkers, repairing ball-marks, and not causing unnecessary damage to the course.
There is no penalty under the Rules for failing to act in this way, except that the Committee may disqualify a player for acting contrary to the spirit of the game if it finds that the player has committed serious misconduct.

Penalties other than disqualification may be imposed for player misconduct only if those penalties are adopted as part of a Code of Conduct under Rule 1.2b."

Depending on what EXACTLY went on, you could possibly get him disqualified and reduce the team score to the best 2 from 2, but I'm not sure what that will achieve. :unsure:

What did the other 2 members of the team say when you walked off?
Thanks for the detailed response.
This player is also a member of a very famous course and invites one of the other players there on a regular basis. He tried to defend his actions on the putting green. He's essentially in his back pocket. The other player was a young brand new member who I really aimed my apologies at. He didn't know what to do or say at all.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As re him putting out of synch, in 2 from 4 it makes sense. He drops in a 3 ft putt for 5 for 2‘ you already have a 2 pointer, so you can have a real go at a 5 footer for 4 for 3.
That said, what would of happened if you had played 18. He feels his actions are justified and just carries on. Me I would of walked off.I have had abuse on the course before from a player from another 4 ball. It was his Pp that basically told his pal to shut up. unfortunately are out there

Rhinogs

Visit site
As re him putting out of synch, in 2 from 4 it makes sense. He drops in a 3 ft putt for 5 for 2‘ you already have a 2 pointer, so you can have a real go at a 5 footer for 4 for 3.
That said, what would of happened if you had played 18. He feels his actions are justified and just carries on. Me I would of walked off.I have had abuse on the course before from a player from another 4 ball. It was his Pp that basically told his pal to shut up. unfortunately are out there
The issue I have with the putt is the complete lack of respect. Your point is correct on scoring, but to disregard all players and not say a word, just walk across my line of sight to the hole mid shot to put his ball down and putt is my issue. If he had raised the points idea, that would have been ideal, but the level of sheer ignorance was unacceptable.