Walking in a putt - poor etiquette?!

sjw

Visit site
Just had a skim through this: https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/9-things-you-should-never-do-on-a-golf-course

To save you the read, the 9 things not to do are:

Talk during someone's shot
Forget to rake a bunker
Not shout fore
Walk on someone's line
Assume a putt's been given
Waste time
Walk a putt in
Choose not to play a provisional
Tell someone they're having a good round

Is walking a putt in poor etiquette? I'm assuming it means during match play, but even then I wouldn't consider it rude. Is there anyone on here that would have a problem with it? I can understand it maybe looking a bit cocky and getting in an opponent's head, but that's just match play, no? I think labelling it something to "never do" is a bit OTT!

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't class it as poor etiquette.
Personally I don't do it as I try to stay as still as possible through my stroke and also just after I've hit my putt I try to remain still for a second or two so walking after a putt would slightly upset that routine

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only time I ever walk in a putt is when I've truly stopped caring whether it goes in or not. I don't think etiquette comes into it.

Always remember Na doing it then Tiger copied him to take the mick, and everyone had a good laugh about it.

evemccc

Visit site
‘Telling someone they’re having a good round’ — how is that poor etiquette??! Maybe it is only for those who have a tantrum if you say ‘good putt’ before the ball is in the hole and then claim you’ve ’jinxed’ them or somehow, and miraculously, caused the putt to miss 🤪🤣

What delicate and fragile little flowers some people are if that is said, honestly and without any hint of gamesmanship, to a fellow golfer having a good round, and the recipient thinks it’s bad etiquette 🙄

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It's hard to come up with new ideas for YouTube videos, things not to do on the golf course has been done many times, walking a putt in was probably added as someone's personal gripe.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
When playing a strokeplay event, long putts that I just "know" are going in will not only see me walking after them but aiming my putter like a rifle, firing bullets as the ball tracks towards the hole.

Don't do such rubbish when playing matchplay as I prefer to stick to a blank poker face irrespective of what happens. Never let the opposition know when I'm feeling good, never let them know when they've just stuck a dagger in to me that it has had an effect.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a skim through this: https://www.golfmonthly.com/features/9-things-you-should-never-do-on-a-golf-course

Walk a putt in

Is walking a putt in poor etiquette? I'm assuming it means during match play, but even then I wouldn't consider it rude. Is there anyone on here that would have a problem with it? I can understand it maybe looking a bit cocky and getting in an opponent's head, but that's just match play, no? I think labelling it something to "never do" is a bit OTT!
Exactly what is 'walking in a putt' ?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Walking in a putt is innocuous enough, I believe,
plus it includes the possibility of looking like a completely and total buffoon
if the ball hangs on the lip.

In that case, the only thing to do is tap the ball in with once continuous motion,
trying to make it appear that you were doing that all along.

Remember to mutter "Never had a chance" just loudly enough so that your playing partners can barely hear it.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Poor etiquette to walk a putt in? Probably.
Poor etiquette to tell someone (unasked) their score? Probably.

Most people I play with wouldn't do either thing. But I wouldn't rail against someone who did. I'd just quietly think they were a knob.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Poor etiquette to walk a putt in? Probably.
Poor etiquette to tell someone (unasked) their score? Probably.

Most people I play with wouldn't do either thing. But I wouldn't rail against someone who did. I'd just quietly think they were a knob.
Can't say I think walking in a putt is poor etiquette, don't think I'd notice.

As far as the score is concerned I wouldn't actually tell someone what there score is if I didn't know them though amongst friends its surely often just part of golf. However complimenting on someone playing well and saying they must be on a decent round is not I think poor etiquette.

RichA

Visit site
If somebody makes a point of not wanting to know their score it almost seems rude not to remind them at every opportunity. Similarly throwing in, "You haven't lost a ball today," as they're walking to the 18th tee.
Walking in a putt is cooler if you do it while maintaining eye contact with your playing partner, rather than watching the ball. Especially if it's a no look putt. Even better if it's a no look, one-handed, through the legs putt.