Vintage Golf

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Nice trip down memory lane… I can distinctly remember how I felt seeing those mountains bordering the 5th green! Stunning course isn’t it?

When I next picked up a club, many, many years later (in late 2019) I was astounded when I learnt how much Scottish courses charged…..to me (naively) golf in Scotland was honesty-box tins, and was a welcome contrast to the uptight and stuffy Home Counties golf courses full of angry stock-brokers which I’d avoided in the years since…

The truth is obviously somewhere in between ?
I played Corrie with my brother some 15yrs ago…and yes I agree…possibly the most stunning setting of any golf course I’ve played as it winds it’s way up the Glen into the mountains. And we too met a green keeper (maybe the same one…). He had a box on the back of his tractor and in it was a small carry bag and he joined us for a couple of holes. Well that’s how I remember it ?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've moved more clubs on than I've bought in the last few months (well I sold one set anyway!) but saw these on ebay and couldn't resist.

• Swilken "Eric Brown Autograph" irons, 3 to 10 plus sand iron in excellent condition, circa 1970
  • Matching 1, 2, 3 & 4 woods, the 3 & 4 woods look like they've barely ever hit a ball!
  • Dunlop "Arnold Palmer" putter also in fine condition.
  • All contained in a "Supadivida" bag.

Then there was the excitement of checking the pockets in the bag (you don't get this with new gear!) where I found 21 old balls, including a mesh pattern, and two old tee packets by Spalding with an assortment of tees including v=several of the Spalding tees.

1675257279351.png
1675257329361.png1675257352068.png1675257378983.png
1675257404606.png
1675257431732.png1675257471472.png

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Absolutely bloomin' gorgeous clubs and bag considering they are 50+ years old.

If they had just arrived at my house, I would be like a 6-year-old boy on Christmas day.

Jealous much - you bet I am. :sick: with it!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Absolutely bloomin' gorgeous clubs and bag considering they are 50+ years old.

If they had just arrived at my house, I would be like a 6-year-old boy on Christmas day.

Jealous much - you bet I am. :sick: with it!

I was that 6 year old, so much so that I've stuck a video of the bag unpacking on YouTube. :ROFLMAO:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge.
There were a lot of different versions over the years and they appear frequently on ebay.
It was a matter of patience until the "right ones" came up at the right price.
And I've found a home for the 2-iron from post #1055.

I have a Sam Snead "Champ" putter from post #915 to make 14 clubs.

Woods 1, 3, 5 and irons 3-SW plus the 2-iron. (Compare with post #880)

01.jpg

02.JPG

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Spalding Elite Centurion.
Fancy name and a fancy look. Good solid woods all the same. I have 1, 3, 4, 5.

Face of the driver. Spalding's idea of what a centurion would look like, I suppose.
01.jpg

And the 3-wood

02.JPG 03.JPG

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Cleaned them up a bit today. My two photos and the two photos on the ebay listing.

BS Mentor faces.JPGBS Mentor grip.JPG 001.jpg 002.jpg

Lovely set of Ben Sayers Mentor forged blades bought for peanuts.

Deserves a smugface

smuggy.jpg

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Visit site

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
They did not take much cleaning. Dusty grime came off under the tap. Grips livened up a bit after a good beating with the damp brush.
They did not even need shining up with Barkeepers Friend. I was very pleased with this purchase.

For a more thorough cleaning of clubs look at: https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/vintage-golf.93646/post-2404230

Many thanks, very helpful and just shows you really don't need most modern cleaning products when vinegar and bicarbonate will do the trick

GBC