Vintage Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I played a seniors match yesterday and my playing partner brought along a bag of woods he'd found while clearing out his recently deceased Aunt's house for me to see if I wanted any.
Most were early 2000s metal woods but among them were these three Laurie Auchterlonie woods.

They must have once belonged to his uncle who was apparently a decent player.
The shafts are True Temper Pro-Fit "S" flex which I date as being 1959 at the earliest so the clubs are either from that year or the early 1960s. They're a bit of a throwback in style with no inserts and straight swept sole plates.

The stampings have been lost to varying degrees during the refinish but on one of them you can still make out "Mastercraft" as being the model. I have a picture of the matching irons on file, also shown below.

I can only assume that the uncle had the woods refinished when he stopped using them and they haven't been hit since, I intend to rectify that situation soon.

image.png.e55b0ffa774792da58e5b76a4a27c282.png

image.png.753c44848e38921096e38e7c105605a7.png
image.png.75071becbf887e9c6257ea3f5cdff56a.png

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Collected today from only 8 miles away, another ebay purchase. Set of Slazenger B51 Mark 2 irons 3-SW.

These should go nicely with Slazenger Accupower woods from post #908 bought in January.

SDC11542.JPG SDC11543.JPG

SDC11349.JPG

Voyager EMH

Visit site

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Took the above Slazenger Accupower woods and B51 irons out for 9 holes on my own this afternoon. First go with these clubs. Did the one-man two-ball scramble format.
First shot was struck well but started high and left and went even further left - a gonna. Over-compensated with a farty effort into the right rough with second ball. Went for a safe second shot with a 4-iron down the middle then had a go with the 5-wood out of the rough - hooked it to nearly out of bounds. Two sand iron shots from the fairway both found the green, but neither very close - bogey.
Parred every hole after that except the par-3 4th where I holed a birdie putt at the second attempt. Level par for 9 holes overall. Six greens in regulation. On the missed greens there was one bogey, one I putted from just off and one was down in two from 25 yards.
Short irons look and feel very lofted - possibly PW 50d and SW 58d. A full 8-iron shot into a breeze pitched at about 125 yards.
Woods took a bit of getting used to as I was tending to hook. No problems with the irons right from the start. I like this set.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Never played that course, but I did take the opportunity to walk the public footpaths when I was in the area one time. Would love to have a game there sometime.

Shame the Painswick game hasn't come off yet. Perhaps there's still time this year?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Never played that course, but I did take the opportunity to walk the public footpaths when I was in the area one time. Would love to have a game there sometime.

Shame the Painswick game hasn't come off yet. Perhaps there's still time this year?

I'd definitely like to give Painswick a try this year, which thread was it in?

Voyager EMH

Visit site
That's why I couldn't find it! :oops:

I'll start a new thread for a mini-meet there
Could go for a weekend as it's so cheap and get more players or do you prefer a weekday?
Either, or. Not too bothered. Club comps most weekends now until the end of Sept, however.
Easier for us retired gentleman to take advantage of weekday rates, I suppose.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Bought last night just before 10pm. What a silly time and day of the week for the seller to choose to be ending an auction. Worked well for me though.
PGA persimmon woods 1, 3, 4 and they are in as new condition.

set.jpgdriver face.jpg4 wood sole.jpg
I think the close-up is the face of the driver, given the shape of the heads of the other two on the floor. Note the grips of the other two clubs in the 4-wood pic.
Absolute bargain and I slept well last night.:sleep::sleep::sleep:

Last edited: