Vintage Golf

RichA

Visit site
I had no idea that Orvis had ever done golf gear. I'm regularly asked if I'm going fishing when I wear my Orvis top for golf.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Arrived today, Greentree Accurist Lee Trevino Set. A little birdie (or is it a big one) tells me likely to be 50 years old.
Woods 1, 2, 3, 4.
Irons 3-SW
Putter - and this is truly the icing on the cake - John Letters Golden Goose with a wound leather grip with the wording "John Letters" running through it.
All other clubs regripped at some point and never used since, I would guess.
Bag is made for Penfold by E.J. Price. It has a "supadivida" style top.
I won't be needing to do much in the way of cleaning of these so I might as well use 3 of the seller's photos.

The Lot.jpg
woods.jpg irons.jpg

You can just about see the bonus pencil on the top photo and those headcovers are gorgeous.

But it is always interesting to see if there are extra things lurking in the bag.
Some pegs, 2 ball markers, a ball cleaner and a...
Reusable Scorecard - use a felt-tip pen and wipe with a damp cloth before the next round - what a hoot!

extras.JPG

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Nice haul!

I await your report on how the sand wedge plays. :)

I paid good money for one of those magic scorecards, but it does have the "Real pigskin" holder and pencil.
Spare tees can be stored on the back too!

1649350349323.png 1649350377939.png

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I'm looking forward to using the whole set, but yes, the SW is a beauty.

SW.jpg

This is not a photographic distortion due to the SW being nearer and on the edge of shot. It is genuinely that shape compared with the rest.

The clubs look cleaner and shinier than this since I gave them some attention.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm looking forward to using the whole set, but yes, the SW is a beauty.

View attachment 42170

This is not a photographic distortion due to the SW being nearer and on the edge of shot. It is genuinely that shape compared with the rest.

The clubs look cleaner and shinier than this since I gave them some attention.
Ah...Greentree woods...my first set of woods were Greentree laminated woods...bought about 45yrs ago - I think I still have one of them in the loft..dont know what happened to the others...:)

Voyager EMH

Visit site
@Crow knows all about these as I believe he has a set.

When Jack Nicklaus reached career winnings of $1 million, Slazenger brought out a set called "Jack Nicklaus $1m"

Just look what this seller thinks they are called. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Slim JN.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
@Crow knows all about these as I believe he has a set.

When Jack Nicklaus reached career winnings of $1 million, Slazenger brought out a set called "Jack Nicklaus $1m"

Just look what this seller thinks they are called. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

That's brilliant, but Sim would have been even better and probably got more views!

They're actually decent irons, in my favourite wingback style. Mine were £16 including carriage.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not exactly 'classics' but do you know anything about these @Crow ? My mate has just decided to take up the game and bought this set for like £45 he said! I'd have guessed 15 or so years old - the irons actually look like they're designed for beginners so he may have done alright despite doing zero research. The brand is 'Bay Hill'.

Attachments

• IMG-20220427-WA0025.jpg
    IMG-20220427-WA0025.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-20220427-WA0026.jpg
    IMG-20220427-WA0026.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20220427-WA0027.jpg
    IMG-20220427-WA0027.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 13

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not exactly 'classics' but do you know anything about these @Crow ? My mate has just decided to take up the game and bought this set for like £45 he said! I'd have guessed 15 or so years old - the irons actually look like they're designed for beginners so he may have done alright despite doing zero research. The brand is 'Bay Hill'.
The Bay Hill brand was set up and belonged to Arnold Palmer.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

As Foxholer said, Bay Hill was Arnold Palmer's brand, I know nothing about them as they're too modern for me but they should be decent enough quality and for £45 your mate has done okay.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
They are what I've heard called in the US "Store Line" clubs. You could find them brand new in Walmart.
For a beginner, he's done well for £45 if it includes the bag. No point spending any more, first go.

It is about what I paid for the Lee Trevino Greentree Accurist set in post #965 above. Took them yesterday for 9-holes on my own. Love 'em.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As Foxholer said, Bay Hill was Arnold Palmer's brand, I know nothing about them as they're too modern for me but they should be decent enough quality and for £45 your mate has done okay.
They are what I've heard called in the US "Store Line" clubs. You could find them brand new in Walmart.
For a beginner, he's done well for £45 if it includes the bag. No point spending any more, first go.

It is about what I paid for the Lee Trevino Greentree Accurist set in post #965 above. Took them yesterday for 9-holes on my own. Love 'em.
It was the old 'disgruntled woman selling her ex-husbands clubs' deal from what he told me. :LOL:

RichA

Visit site
I played for the first time last night with a set of Mizuno MP-60 irons that I acquired via eBay. Does 17 years old count as vintage?
I'm under no illusions that they'll improve my average golf, but they are great fun and lovely to use.
When you try to bend the ball around a tree, it does. Do that with my Ping G425s and the ball goes arrow straight into the opposite rough.

RichA

Visit site
I played for the first time last night with a set of Mizuno MP-60 irons that I acquired via eBay. Does 17 years old count as vintage?
I'm under no illusions that they'll improve my average golf, but they are great fun and lovely to use.
When you try to bend the ball around a tree, it does. Do that with my Ping G425s and the ball goes arrow straight into the opposite rough.
The cavities have a few rust spots, as pictured.
2 minutes with a soft wire brush and a little honing paste followed by a 10 minute soak in Barkeepers Friend and the difference is surprising.

Photos aren't the same club. I forgot to take a before pic of the 3-iron, but they're all equally rusted.

8891E3C0-51F7-4C04-BABA-E748BD855E3C.jpeg

D4C424D3-7A6C-416A-AC71-B68FE1100D1D.jpeg

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Bought last night. Gradidge Bobby Locke set with persimmon woods. From the same seller as the Greentree Lee Trevino set post #965.
Quite embarrassingly small amount paid.
1950s I would think, but I hope the more knowledgeable one will be along soon to tell us more.
Behold...

Set.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'd say late 1940s to 1950s.
As far as I can tell, Gradidge clubs made pre-war are stamped London while those made post-war are stamped Made in England, the London factory was bombed during the war. (And I don't think Locke was famous enough pre-war to have his name on any clubs.
The Putter is maybe a little later and belongs to a different set, iron picture below, but Bobby Locke putters can be found singly on ebay.

I have a set of Gradidge irons that are very similar but do not have Bobby Locke's name on them and most of them are dot face.

1651473040888.png 1651473050072.png