Vintage Golf

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Drove 25 miles to collect a set of Dunlop Maxfli Roberto de Vicenzo 1 and 3 woods, 3-10 irons. Photos of these later.
Chap was a real gent, "Oh, I've got some other stuff you might be interested in."
So, for a few more pounds, I came away with a Maxfli tour bag and a Forgan Scotia putter.
Bag was a bit grubby, but these heavy duty vinyl ones stand up to a severe scrubbing with Cif.
I'll get the tiny rust spots off the face of the putter with an overnight soaking in white vinegar.
I hope @Crow will put a date on the putter.

SDC11355.JPGSDC11356.JPG

SDC11357.JPG

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I can't see any rust on the putter!

That Maxfli bag looks lovely and will suit the Roberto de Vicenzo clubs to a tee.

Re the Forgan Scotia, I'm not going to be much use I'm afraid.
The Scotia line went through several changes and might even go back to hickory, your best bet is to go by the shaft.

The irons below which match your putter have coated steel shafts and are probably late 1930s or even early 1950s.
Putter designs went on for longer than iron designs so the putter could have gone on for years after the irons were discontinued.
If the shaft on yours is chromed then I'd guess 1940s/50s.

1644603305549.png

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Thanks. Chromed shaft, no labels or marks. I'd guess 1950s then. 34.5 inches - fairly short and a flat lie. Has a thinnish grip - so maybe was used by a lady golfer?
Already had a go on the carpet - feels nice.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Thanks. Chromed shaft, no labels or marks. I'd guess 1950s then. 34.5 inches - fairly short and a flat lie. Has a thinnish grip - so maybe was used by a lady golfer?
Already had a go on the carpet - feels nice.

That would most likely be after the end of the "L" stamp era when ladies clubs were stamped with an "L".

Is the grip the original leather?
If not and it's a rubber slip-on then there was once probably a wooden butt plug in the end that would have brought the length up to 35".
Does it have a ferrule? These often feature blue in ladies clubs, for some reason that I'm yet to find out.

When people talk about a blade putter, that's what they should be referring to, not some Anser clone!

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Obvious replacement newer rubber grip with blue stripes and a little blue band on the ferrule. Probably intended for a lady then, but feels quite comfortable for me at 5ft 11in.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
They look even better up close.
I can't remember seeing Cressy as a make before.

The shafts are coated steel, having seen the Close ups I'd say they're almost certainly 1930s.
Not the easiest set to start with if you're getting into vintage but they're worth saving.
Definitely a rare club, but unfortunately unlikely to ever be worth much.

175 yards was a good distance for an iron back then so I'd guess that that's a 1 or 2 iron.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
As promised earlier, here are some pictures of a recent purchase (cleaned, woods varnished and irons painted), Dunlop Maxfli Roberto de Vicenzo, woods 1 and 3, irons 3-10, additional 4 and 5 woods Peter Thomson and a Forgan Scotia putter.
I already had the matching Peter Thomson 3-wood, Mark 5 irons 3-10 and a Peter Thomson brass head putter, so that has made a nice set with a St Andrews driver.
The Forgan putter looks much more shiny now.

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

The numbers had no paint left in them and hardly any in the "Dunlop".

Not bad for nearly 50 years old.

005.JPG
Forgot to photo the backs, so I've pinched a shot of some others from ebay

backs.jpg

Voyager EMH

Visit site
First time out on the course yesterday for 4 weeks. Put my name down on my own, but was joined by an old acquaintance. He said that he hadn't played for weeks, struggles when carrying and had his name down for 18 holes at the weekend so wanted to see how he felt after 9-holes when carrying. I explained what I wanted to do.

I took 3,5,7,9,10 of the irons above, a Wilson SI, Ben Sayers Opel Line 3 putter and a Cobra 20d hybrid that I hit off the fairway on two occasions.
I had 5 drivers in the bag. Ping Eye 2, Craigton, St Andrews, Daiwa Trypower persimmon and the R de V matching the irons. (13 clubs total)
I played a one-man scramble. That is I hit two shots from the same position each time, including putts, and took the best one.
This allowed me to hit two drives, each with a different club, or with the same club, if I fancied doing that.

All drivers performed well, but the St Andrews felt like the most powerful off the tee. It was the cheapest one at 99p a few weeks ago. Needs a new grip, though. Other grips are fine.
The Ping Eye 2 felt the most comfortable and had a go off the fairway, preferred lies, and what a fantastic surprise. An option as a strong 3-wood in the regular bag, maybe.

The irons were great, no problems, resulted in a few birdie putts, none holed, despite two attempts each. Greens had been solid tined and heavily sanded, so I have an excuse.

I was 3-over par after 4 holes, got the hang of the irons by then and parred the rest.

Total spend on the 5 drivers - about £20 - approx average £4 each, even after factoring in petrol for those that were collected.

The one-man scramble is a great-fun option if you find yourself in a two ball amongst 4-balls on the course.

RichA

Visit site
Do any of you vintage fans have an inkling what era a True Temper Dynalite steel driver shaft would be from?

RichA

Visit site
First time out on the course yesterday for 4 weeks. Put my name down on my own, but was joined by an old acquaintance. He said that he hadn't played for weeks, struggles when carrying and had his name down for 18 holes at the weekend so wanted to see how he felt after 9-holes when carrying. I explained what I wanted to do.

I took 3,5,7,9,10 of the irons above, a Wilson SI, Ben Sayers Opel Line 3 putter and a Cobra 20d hybrid that I hit off the fairway on two occasions.
I had 5 drivers in the bag. Ping Eye 2, Craigton, St Andrews, Daiwa Trypower persimmon and the R de V matching the irons. (13 clubs total)
I played a one-man scramble. That is I hit two shots from the same position each time, including putts, and took the best one.
This allowed me to hit two drives, each with a different club, or with the same club, if I fancied doing that.

All drivers performed well, but the St Andrews felt like the most powerful off the tee. It was the cheapest one at 99p a few weeks ago. Needs a new grip, though. Other grips are fine.
The Ping Eye 2 felt the most comfortable and had a go off the fairway, preferred lies, and what a fantastic surprise. An option as a strong 3-wood in the regular bag, maybe.

The irons were great, no problems, resulted in a few birdie putts, none holed, despite two attempts each. Greens had been solid tined and heavily sanded, so I have an excuse.

I was 3-over par after 4 holes, got the hang of the irons by then and parred the rest.

Total spend on the 5 drivers - about £20 - approx average £4 each, even after factoring in petrol for those that were collected.

The one-man scramble is a great-fun option if you find yourself in a two ball amongst 4-balls on the course.
Do you have the Eye 2 fairway woods to go with the driver?

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Do you have the Eye 2 fairway woods to go with the driver?
Driver only. It is in fantastic condition with original grip.
Go back a page and look at post #915. It was one of 6 clubs I kept from a job-lot. The rest I donated to a charity shop.
6 clubs and a bag for £10.58 and a gallon of petrol.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
Sorry, can't help on the shaft, what model is the driver?
The shaft was new old stock from an eBay golf shop - advertised as Dynamic Gold S300, but actually has Dynalite stamped on it.
It's currently in a TM M2, which won't help the dating.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The shaft was new old stock from an eBay golf shop - advertised as Dynamic Gold S300, but actually has Dynalite stamped on it.
It's currently in a TM M2, which won't help the dating.

This article is from 2010 but I've a feeling that they've been around for a while longer than that.

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/37882-dynalite-gold-vs-dynamic-gold/

No date on this but it gives some specs for the shaft at whatever date it is.

http://www.diamondgolf.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/true-temper.pdf