Vintage Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I have some orphans. Amdassador 2-wood (1970 ish), Maxfli SW (1977 ish), Challenge 8-iron (dunno, 1930s/40s?) and my mashie-niblick cut-down hickory (1920s or earlier ?)

View attachment 36363

Nice.
  • The Ambassador name ran for a few years and several updates but yours looks like an earlier one and I agree on your dating.
  • That model of Maxfli was known as the International, although it doesn't actually say so on the club. Released in 1975 and made at Dunlop plants around the world.
  • The Challenge has me stumped too but I'd agree on the date, maybe stretching into the late 1940s.
  • Vickers were a good name and made quality clubs.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I won that green bag as a prize in the 1990s. It was brand new, but had been made deliberately as a "retro" look. Maker's name is "Wythe", never been able to find out anything about it. I have a navy blue Wilson bag, similar shape, but a bit larger, bought in the 1980s in a golf shop sale at half price, because it looked "old fashioned" even then and no one seemed to want it. I have a blue trolley to go with that one. More modern bags have come and gone, because they fall apart in one way or another. Why are some older bags more robust and durable?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Had a browse in a junkshop antiques centre today. Bought a hardback book in mint condition, Peter Alliss: Golf, A Cure For A Grumpy Old Man.
And, wait for it, a box of 12 maxfli 1.62s, individually wrapped, boxes of three in a box of 12. A fair price for mint balls - not a huge bargain, but I just could not leave them there.
Book was a massive bargain from sleeve price of £18.99, so together, pretty darned good, I'd say.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Had a browse in a junkshop antiques centre today. Bought a hardback book in mint condition, Peter Alliss: Golf, A Cure For A Grumpy Old Man.
And, wait for it, a box of 12 maxfli 1.62s, individually wrapped, boxes of three in a box of 12. A fair price for mint balls - not a huge bargain, but I just could not leave them there.
Book was a massive bargain from sleeve price of £18.99, so together, pretty darned good, I'd say.

Nice finds!
The old balls can be used and Maxfli made some really good ones, it all comes down to how they've been stored.
Alternatively they make a nice thing to have on display.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Nice. But it was disappointing that you weren't wearing some 70s clothes... beige flares would have matched the woods perfectly :p

I like these Johnny Miller flat fronts but finding a pair is impossible, an opportunity for Under Armour?

ap710912038.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Pretty much all Hagen clubs are decent, some very decent.

The company was taken over by Wilson who made the clubs for many years, and Wilson irons were among the best up until the drive for volume sales when standards took a nose dive.
Thankfully the new owners of Wilson are steering the company back to where it once was.