Vintage Golf

FELL75

Visit site
Thanks for reply. Amazing how equipment has changed but can still do a job. I've always tried to keep a spare set of clubs to fall back on. I guess with the mizunos (bell beryllium copper) there's also a sentimental attachment as they were my first set of clubs as a 16 year old! Perhaps I'll take one up the range and see how it compares...

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When I saw this one on ebay I had to have it for the collection, arrived today.

The "DW" Brand is considered by many to be the first example of this iconic style of iron, often referred to as a reverse muscle where the weighting is towards the top line for a lower flight rather than towards the sole for a more forgiving head.

This example is hickory shafted so probably dates between 1920 and 1935, I need to try and find the registration number, not easy even with the internet.
This style disappeared from UK clubs for a while but was taken up by MacGregor in the US, often attributed to Tommy Armour who emigrated to America in the 1920s and most likely took examples of Brutish clubs with him, including the "DW" Brand?

MacGregor produced the next well known version of the style, an early example the 3852 is shown below. This became very popular and was copied by others. After a visit to the US by several British Pros, they returned with examples of American clubs and asked John Letters to produce a version, his first example was the Masters Model in 1947, shown below.
This style stayed in the Letters range for many years and most manufacturers had a version in their range at some time/
Below are further examples by Slazenger, Harold Bird & Son, Mizuno and Cobra.

View attachment 33162
View attachment 33163
View attachment 33164
View attachment 33166
View attachment 33165
View attachment 33167
View attachment 33168

Fred Daly By John Letters.....my first set of proper irons in 1963.
Beautiful clubs.(y)

Wish I had kept my MacGregor Tourney plastic headed driver, it would have been worth a bob or two now.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've just completed by set of vintage this week.

I bought Hogan Apex Irons about 2 years ago. 3-9

A mate give me a 2 iron

Bought a putter last year that looks like its made out of cough candy.

2 different sane wedges recently, and a PW arrived this week.

Just need a good hogan bag now.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Thanks for reply. Amazing how equipment has changed but can still do a job. I've always tried to keep a spare set of clubs to fall back on. I guess with the mizunos (bell beryllium copper) there's also a sentimental attachment as they were my first set of clubs as a 16 year old! Perhaps I'll take one up the range and see how it compares...

The Mizuno Bell BeCu is a rare set and you'll definitely find buyers, if in decent condition you should get over £100 quite easily.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've just completed by set of vintage this week.

I bought Hogan Apex Irons about 2 years ago. 3-9

A mate give me a 2 iron

Bought a putter last year that looks like its made out of cough candy.

2 different sane wedges recently, and a PW arrived this week.

Just need a good hogan bag now.

Good work! Have you found some woods too?

jmcp

Visit site
Has anyone played with / own a Ping 1 a putter?

Seen some YouTube clips of them and all i can say is WOW !!! Feel slightly embarrassed I didn't know exactly where the ping name came from until now .....

GBC

Hi,

just seen this post, I was given for a full set of ping clubs which included 3 persimmon woods, irons, putter and bag, think the woods, irons and bag are from the 70’s but the clubs are all left handed so no good to me or so I thought. After leaving in a corner of the garage for several months, I noticed one day that the putter was both right and left handed so took it out and had a try with it, loved it and then started checking the model etc... and realised it was the mod 1A, I used it for most of last summer when our greens were pretty fast it but come autumn/winter time, I struggled to get it to the hole when the greens had slowed down a bit as the putter is very light, our greens never really reached those speeds this season or I would have started using it again, maybe next season.

For Crow, when I was about 13/14 (late 70’s) I saved all my pocket money, paper round money and every other penny I could get to reach £90 for a set of Dunlop Peter Thomson irons until I had the exact amount, I then walked about 6 or 7 miles to the shop that was selling them as I didn’t have enough for the bus fare and also walked back home carrying them, chuffed to bits with my purchase. I loved those clubs and it was a stupid mistake selling them when I did to get a set of Swilken Alta II irons (Ping copies) for my 21st, I couldn’t get on with them and then spend a fortune the following year buying a set of Toney Penna irons which cost me £440 (34 yrs ago) loved them and still have them up my loft.

Cheers, John

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Hi,

just seen this post, I was given for a full set of ping clubs which included 3 persimmon woods, irons, putter and bag, think the woods, irons and bag are from the 70’s but the clubs are all left handed so no good to me or so I thought. After leaving in a corner of the garage for several months, I noticed one day that the putter was both right and left handed so took it out and had a try with it, loved it and then started checking the model etc... and realised it was the mod 1A, I used it for most of last summer when our greens were pretty fast it but come autumn/winter time, I struggled to get it to the hole when the greens had slowed down a bit as the putter is very light, our greens never really reached those speeds this season or I would have started using it again, maybe next season.

For Crow, when I was about 13/14 (late 70’s) I saved all my pocket money, paper round money and every other penny I could get to reach £90 for a set of Dunlop Peter Thomson irons until I had the exact amount, I then walked about 6 or 7 miles to the shop that was selling them as I didn’t have enough for the bus fare and also walked back home carrying them, chuffed to bits with my purchase. I loved those clubs and it was a stupid mistake selling them when I did to get a set of Swilken Alta II irons (Ping copies) for my 21st, I couldn’t get on with them and then spend a fortune the following year buying a set of Toney Penna irons which cost me £440 (34 yrs ago) loved them and still have them up my loft.

Cheers, John

Dedication!
The kids of today don't know how easy they've got it. ;)

You probably bought this version, have a set of these myself and they play great.

1605882749460.png

jmcp

Visit site
Yep, that’s them although I don’t remember the Dunlop motif on the back of them like a couple in that image, must admit to being jealous a while back when I seen that you had managed to acquire a set, one of these days I will make an effort to do the same.

cheers, John

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Yep, that’s them although I don’t remember the Dunlop motif on the back of them like a couple in that image, must admit to being jealous a while back when I seen that you had managed to acquire a set, one of these days I will make an effort to do the same.

cheers, John

Yes, they either come with the motif on the back of the head or on the sole.

They crop up fairly regularly on ebay if you keep checking.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Latest addition to the collection, Dunlop "Tony Jacklin" Contour Sole from 1973.

Check out those ferrules, yes, they're purple!

128853126_824214014788561_3017779657551034856_n.png

128341300_713455749587723_8541191605609261214_n.png

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I wish people would stop advertising old clubs on ebay, another set just arrived!

Slazenger Bobby Locke irons, they’re in much better condition than the advert indicated.

I think these are late 1950s or early 1960s as the four stars most likely represent Locke’s four Open wins, the last if which was in 1957.

The soles are stamped with a + which I assume means strong as they’re 4 degrees stronger than I’d expect for this period (apart from the sand iron which is the usual 56 degrees), 28 degree 5 iron, 36 degree 7 iron, etc.

Shaft bands are in good shape and the ferrule numbers all match, there’s even a ferrule number on the SW which is unusual, I’m guessing D2 might be the swing weight.

128505045_859587554855396_1638593289203415712_n.jpg
128869502_859587861522032_1798410858983714951_n.jpg
128604567_859588758188609_2207232998796657070_o.jpg
128642320_859588991521919_1332212740500630837_n.jpg