Vintage Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Have been advised by a close friend and ex club builder that the shafts in the pin seekers are not the nicest on a thin shot, I think his exact words were “ if you think that 2i it’s going to break your elbow “

I'd be surprised if HB&S clubs had anything other than regular shafts in them, admittedly regular from yesteryear seems stiffer than today's regular but I don't think you'll have any issues with the shafts. Do they have a shaft band/label saying what they are?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One for crow

Built a mate a set of clubs out of some I had knocking about

Irons MITSUSHIBA VERDICT IRONS

Couple of slazenger woods .. the 5 wood is steel head lol

Any good the irons?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
One for crow

Built a mate a set of clubs out of some I had knocking about

Irons MITSUSHIBA VERDICT IRONS

Couple of slazenger woods .. the 5 wood is steel head lol

Any good the irons?

Mitsushiba are a bit too modern for me to comment other than to say that they're a straightforward brand with nothing fancy, that will get the job done.
They won't be as forgiving as the latest GI clubs but in my view that's a good thing.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd be surprised if HB&S clubs had anything other than regular shafts in them, admittedly regular from yesteryear seems stiffer than today's regular but I don't think you'll have any issues with the shafts. Do they have a shaft band/label saying what they are?

All banding looks original Hb with reg stickers

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not that I’ve been looking, just asking for a friend……. At what age does something become vintage?

I have “ a friend “ looking to build an iconic bag from 79/80 era but not sure how some would take playing with clubs of this age. For example taylormade KVD irons and Pittsburgh persimmon woods…. Apparently. ?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not that I’ve been looking, just asking for a friend……. At what age does something become vintage?

I have “ a friend “ looking to build an iconic bag from 79/80 era but not sure how some would take playing with clubs of this age. For example taylormade KVD irons and Pittsburgh persimmon woods…. Apparently. ?

There are no strict definitions for vintage.
Some hickory societies have cut-off dates, for example pre-1935 for general hickories or pre-1900 for guttie hickory, but vintage and classic as a whole are much looser in their "rules", probably because it's still in its infancy with regards to organised competition.

Classic/vintage meets I've been to are under the broad brush of "wooden woods (persimmon or laminated) and blade style irons and putters of simple design".

My own view is, play what you enjoy playing.

Personally I focus on UK made clubs covering a wide range of dates, my oldest are hickory but they go right up to the late 1980s.
I have no qualms about steel headed woods and indeed have a set of late 1980s Titleist steel head woods and some Petron steel/polymer woods of similar vintage (these are used when conditions are wet and not good for proper woods).

I'd be happy to play a game with you if you had such an iconic bag and would enjoy selecting clubs of a similar vintage.
There are lots of wooden woods from 1979/80 right up until the late 1980s and beyond, in fact a few companies and individuals still make very good wooden clubs.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve looked down other routes, but as a kid caddying I had fond memories of ping eye and taylormade equipment .. just enjoying the current stuff at the moment, I just wasn’t sure if there’s a stigma around it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Early Ping stuff is very collected, there's a facebook group dedicated to it, one of the mods is in the UK.

facebook.com/groups/224999788715463/about

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
"Pittsburgh Persimmon" was a derogatory nickname at first - the town being associated with mining and steel production. Due to these early metal woods being a success, the company made the name official. Quick copy and paste coming up...

Gary Adams started TaylorMade in the late 1970s out of his home in Illinois with an idea that the two-piece golf ball wasn't a fad. Adams recognized the way irons interacted with the new balls and believed steel drivers would outperform the persimmon drivers of the day.
Founding TaylorMade
Adams approached PGA touring pro Ron Streck in 1978 with three metal woods. Adams' metal woods out-drove some of the longest hitters on tour, and at that year's PGA Merchandise Show he received close to $50,000 in orders.
Pittsburgh Persimmon
Ron Streck won the 1981 Houston Open using the first TaylorMade driver. The company's drivers earned the nickname "Pittsburgh Persimmon" as TaylorMade used steel rather than persimmon to construct their drivers. Adams and Streck started stamping it on the toe of all their drivers, and it developed into one of their strongest lines throughout the 1980s. In the process, golf adapted to the popular “metal-woods" seen today.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I played today and...
...I thought I would photograph the clubs I played with after I cleaned them this afternoon.

Confidence woods 1, 3, 4.
Dunlop Maxfli Original Blade 2-iron.
Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blade 3-SW
John Letters Banker 5 putter.
Wilson bag and a Titliest Turfglider trolley.

View attachment 39432

Takes me back. I had a set of Maxfli Australian blades. Loved them at the time. Think I went from those to a set of Ben Sayers "Ray Floyd" irons

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Takes me back. I had a set of Maxfli Australian blades. Loved them at the time. Think I went from those to a set of Ben Sayers "Ray Floyd" irons

Nice irons those Ray Floyds, yours were most likely the 1983 release, as opposed to the Ray Floyd "Power Ridged" which were 1970.

1638997419313.png

Oh, and talking of the Ray Floyd "Power Ridged", let me make a shameless plug.