Videoing yourself at the range.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I use a tripod that I got from Amazon to film my swing from time to time at the range.

Whilst the outcome is never pretty it helps me see if i'm anywhere near doing what I've been taught.

Can also sent to my coach.

Cost about £10. Best training aid I've ever bought
Do you have a link for the one you got please?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I've only ever seen pros doing it myself, you have to know what you are looking at to be bothering to do it in the first place IMO

It's not such a big deal. Prop up your I phone and video, even in slo mo.
Can be quite interesting. I was quite surprised at how fast I was swinging, when I thought I was going slow. Don't have to analyse deeply, just look to see if there is anything obvious.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's not such a big deal. Prop up your I phone and video, even in slo mo.
Can be quite interesting. I was quite surprised at how fast I was swinging, when I thought I was going slow. Don't have to analyse deeply, just look to see if there is anything obvious.

That's the problem sometimes when amateurs film their swings, they see something that doesn't look right and try and fix it for no other reason.
On the other hand, if you have a problem with your contact or direction, then filming your swing is a brilliant way of finding out what's causing the problem.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I don't film my swing often, but sometimes when my swing gets funky and I just can't figure out why. And most of the time I can spot the issue on the video right away. It does not automatcally mean that I can fix it right away as well, but having an idea what goes wrong definitely helps. For example I tend to overswing and lose control of my clubface at the end of my backswing. And I could swear most of the time that I don't take the club back that far, but when I look at it on video: there it is.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't film my swing often, but sometimes when my swing gets funky and I just can't figure out why. And most of the time I can spot the issue on the video right away. It does not automatcally mean that I can fix it right away as well, but having an idea what goes wrong definitely helps. For example I tend to overswing and lose control of my clubface at the end of my backswing. And I could swear most of the time that I don't take the club back that far, but when I look at it on video: there it is.

Another great reason to film your swing.......real and feel

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I sometimes video my swing on the rage. Tend to prop my phone against my bag but have a go pro and need to try and use that more. During a lesson my pro videos my swing and shows me what I should be doing and what i am really doing. So on the range I can see whether I am repeating the moves or not. He is also happy for me to send it to him between lessons for comments.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
I've videoed myself a few times and have sent to my Pro. It has been very useful.
Can be done at the range or on the course if it's quiet. (it was good to see how bad my bunker shots were!)
I got a gooseneck phone clamp from eBay and clamp this to my golf bag.
I then use this app for the slow mo. My pro has the same and easy to send it;
https://www.hudl.com/products/technique

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I normally only film my swing if I've recently had a lesson and in the lesson we've been focusing on getting into positions. So once I've worked through my drills and then hit a few balls I'll get the camera out to check I'm hitting the position I should be, whether that's a spot in the backswing or whatever. Find it really useful. Also handy for then sending clips of swings on to my pro if I've not seen him for a few weeks.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's the problem sometimes when amateurs film their swings, they see something that doesn't look right and try and fix it for no other reason.
On the other hand, if you have a problem with your contact or direction, then filming your swing is a brilliant way of finding out what's causing the problem.

Yup I fell into this trap many years ago, I would video every practice session and each time try to fix what I thought didn't look right. Then I realised that I didn't need to fix everything, it just has to be functional. I now only video when I have something that I am actively working on. And I'm only actively working on something when I have had a lesson and have some drills/feels to work on. I like to video at the start of the session and the end to see if any improvement has been made in that time.

I also think it is good to take written notes from my lessons so that I can look back and see what I have worked on in the past. So if something happens to catch my eye that isn't right I can look back and say ok, we worked on that here's how to fix it. I have a couple years worth of lesson notes in my phone so I can refer to them when on the range.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
I have done this in the past and found it very helpfull together with watching Mark Crossfield on YT before he changed his format to as it is now, I cant stand his twaddle these days - although I'm much more understanding visual than taking instructions

Wolf

Visit site
Wish I could have videod my wedge play and chipping today but then again watching that back could have been as painful as the actual shots I played.